English Bible translations

My first language is Afrikaans, and I'm wondering which English translation does everyone prefer as it complicates things a bit going from an Afrikaans verse to English. I prefer direct translations as it's clearer what the original texts meanings were. I find that older translations, even the ones in Afrikaans, uses too many ... poetic flourishes? ... and old words that's harder to understand and follow.

Hi Terry
Eberyonfe woll have their favourites.
Are the easiest for me to understand are

New King Jsmrs Version
New Living Translation

Wishing you all the best in finding the right one for yourself.
God Bless

My first language is Afrikaans, and I'm wondering which English translation does everyone prefer as it complicates things a bit going from an Afrikaans verse to English. I prefer direct translations as it's clearer what the original texts meanings were. I find that older translations, even the ones in Afrikaans, uses too many ... poetic flourishes? ... and old words that's harder to understand and follow.

All English translations have issues in various places throughout. That's why I always delve into the Hebrew and Greek from which many of those versions were translated. I generally avoid the paraphrases, such as the NLT and the Living Bible. They can paint a seemingly more clear picture, but when it comes down to it, there's no such thing as a perfect translation. Your most absolute way of knowing truth is in this:

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

We can read translations, but must always seek Holy Spirit for ultimate guidance and confirmation.

MM

All English translations have issues in various places throughout. That's why I always delve into the Hebrew and Greek from which many of those versions were translated. I generally avoid the paraphrases, such as the NLT and the Living Bible. They can paint a seemingly more clear picture, but when it comes down to it, there's no such thing as a perfect translation. Your most absolute way of knowing truth is in this:

1 John 2:27 But the anointing which you have received from Him abides in you, and you do not need that anyone teach you; but as the same anointing teaches you concerning all things, and is true, and is not a lie, and just as it has taught you, you will abide in Him.

We can read translations, but must always seek Holy Spirit for ultimate guidance and confirmation.

MM

Very true, the Holy Spirit do guide us in all that we do, we just need to listen.

The Afrikaans translations has their 'problems' too. The other consideration is also in what you intend to use the translation for, whether it is for theological discussions/studies, bible study or for sermon purposes as each type of translation has a different purpose and slant, either towards the literal or otherwise.

New King James Version & New American Standard Bible are about the best literal translations.

Hello Tery;

Your thread, English Bible Translations is interesting. I have a question and wanted to share. Since you write English, do you also speak English as a second language in South Africa?

We have a partner church in Uganda and when we were considering sending them Bibles we forgot that they don't speak English. When we did a short missionary trip to Romania / Ukraine last October we also forgot they use Romanian and Ukrainian Bibles.

I personally use various translations in my ministry work but your first language being Afrikaans stimulated my interest. So for example, if you are using the KJV, aren't the publishers already setup translating from English to Afrikaans?

God bless you, Tery, and thank you for sharing.

I stick to the KJV mostly for English. Some of it is old and more poetic, but its'a faithful translation to the original majority text that stood the test of time. For any words hard to understand, I would use a Bible dictionary.

Hello Tery;

Your thread, English Bible Translations is interesting. I have a question and wanted to share. Since you write English, do you also speak English as a second language in South Africa?

We have a partner church in Uganda and when we were considering sending them Bibles we forgot that they don't speak English. When we did a short missionary trip to Romania / Ukraine last October we also forgot they use Romanian and Ukrainian Bibles.

I personally use various translations in my ministry work but your first language being Afrikaans stimulated my interest. So for example, if you are using the KJV, aren't the publishers already setup translating from English to Afrikaans?

God bless you, Tery, and thank you for sharing.
Yes indeed, we do speak English and do have English translations, we just don't have one in our home šŸ˜Š It complicates things in that I have one of two options when quoting passages online. I either translate from my Afrikaans Bible to English through Google translate, which I don't want to do as it could have unwanted results, or I search for the passage online, in which case I wanted to find out which is more generally accapted translation and/or is the most literal as that has the least chance of being subjective.

Interesting fact, we have twelve official languages here (sign-language being the latest addition) and if I'm not mistaken, the Bible Society of South Africa provides translations for the majority of the languages.

Back