1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Do Not Love The World

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Where is the Messiah, Jun 18, 2014.

1. I'm studying this verse:
    Do not love the world nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

At what point would we say we are loving the world? What is the line? And how do we know when it is crossed?
  2. Interesting question. I'm not sure. Isn't it like loving anything Ungodly?
  3. What's ungodly?
  4. Gossiping, drugs, sex between unmarried folks, getting drunk. Christians should stay away from such things.
  5. I think the verse following it gives the 'general guideline' of what is of the world. "For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world." 1Jn 2:16.

I think the 'line' is hinted at in 1Co 7:31 "And they that use this world, as not abusing it: for the fashion of this world passeth away." to which Matthew Henry comments "As not abusing it - καταχρώμενοι katachrōmenoi. The preposition κατα kata, in composition here has the sense of “too much, too freely,” and is taken not merely in an intensive sense, but to denote evil, the abuse of the world. It means that we are not to use it to excess; we are not to make it a mere matter of indulgences, or to make that the main object and purpose of our living. We are not to give our appetites to indulgence; our bodies to riot; our days and nights to feasting and revelry."

I was reading Matthew Henry's commentary on 1 Jn 2:16:
    KingJ likes this.
  6. Nobody knows the line. Moses pleaded with God to spare the Jews in Exodus 32 when they crossed it with idolatry.

If we continue in mortal sin we test God's patience. Especially as a Christian.

We will be handed over to a reprobate mind / have our conscience seared. No more feeling guilty for sins we committing.
  7. I think some can avoid the observable sins and outwardly look "good" but still be rather attached to the world in a personally comfortable sort of way. Perhaps the most extreme example of this would be the Pharisees who were likened to whited sepulchres?
  8. If we worry about not crossing the line we are most likely to fail but if we focus on following Jesus we will not love the world.
    Heart_for_Christ likes this.