'but I just don't feel like it today...'

Via dolarossa

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
so i'm planning a new diet and fitness routine. my goals are to have more energy for my day to day life for larger goals I want to achieve. and I have found a scripture that looks good to use to keep me on track. Phil 4;13. so I believe God and he will strengthen me. I start Monday.

but having been on a diet and exercise regime before, I have given up and failed due to lack of motivation or procrastination. the 'I just don't feel like it just now, or today' has had me flunk in the past.

what are some good scriptures you use for keeping up with goals you set for yourself ?
how do you stay pumped?
do you just stick to one scripture that is the most relevant?

thanks

There are several Scriptures as reminders for us to try to do our best.

2 Chronicles 15:7 - (NLT), "7 But as for you, be strong and courageous, for your work will be rewarded.”

Psalm 20:4-5 - (NLT), "4 May he grant your heart’s desires and make all your plans succeed. 5 May we shout for joy when we hear of your victory and raise a victory banner in the name of our God. May the Lord answer all your prayers."

Proverbs 16:3 - (NLT), "Commit your actions to the Lord, and your plans will succeed."

Just remember Christ's words in Matthew 19:26 (NLT), "Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.” "

Ask God for guidance and perseverance and 'ye shall succeed'. ✝️

`

Dieting is one of the hardest things to do. I, personally, have
never done it but I have seen my wife try and fail numerous
times. I have been an addict myself so I do understand any
lifestyle change. It will be difficult but not impossible. I would
encourage you to do it for something immoveable real or
imaginary. Do it for God even if you can stay motivated to do
it that way.

"Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord and not
for people, knowing that it is from the Lord that you will receive
the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve"
(Col. 3:23-24, NASB).

Remember that it takes 30 days to develop a habit. When you do it
have a cheat day where you can still feel human but not lose focus
of who you are trying to become and why. If you fail at some point
don't give up because tomorrow is a new day and your gains won't
be for nothing as long as you restart.

Don't try to go straight to a marathon runner and wear yourself out
in just a few days. Push yourself but not to excess. Remember the
flesh is weak and always wants a treat. So you will need those little
cheat days to make the flesh shut up and cooperate. I recommend one
day a weak for a cheat day and take at least one rest day to recover
your muscles. You are the strong one in this and your flesh wants you
to fail. Make it do what you want for the reason that you want.

I, personally, am cheering for you!

so i'm planning a new diet and fitness routine. my goals are to have more energy for my day to day life for larger goals I want to achieve. and I have found a scripture that looks good to use to keep me on track. Phil 4;13. so I believe God and he will strengthen me. I start Monday.

but having been on a diet and exercise regime before, I have given up and failed due to lack of motivation or procrastination. the 'I just don't feel like it just now, or today' has had me flunk in the past.

what are some good scriptures you use for keeping up with goals you set for yourself ?
how do you stay pumped?

thanks
I can be pretty hard on my self in terms of assurance, so I tend to grab hold tightly to those type of promises like...

John 5:24 (NASB) "Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

Romans 5:10 (NASB) For if while we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life.

Philippians 1:6 (NASB) For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

I often think of this when there are times my body just tells me nope I wanna sleep. 'the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak'. from Matthew 26:41

That probably won't help!

I think maybe our goals that we set for ourselves aren't really the goals God has in mind perhaps?

Maybe this one ...Phillipians 3:13-14
Brothers, I do not consider that I have made it my own. But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead, I press on toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.

Basically this verse was talking about looking forward to the resurrection. I suppose losing some weight so your body won't be way too heavy to get resurrected is a good goal. Aside from having more energy but sometimes we do need to conserve our energy and not wear ourselves out.

how do you stay pumped?

thanks
Forget this if it’s not right but I’ve Been there done it got the t shirt!
When I was struggling a friend reminded me that looking back, having our hands cluttered with past struggles stops God from being able to fill them with new blessings and opportunities , my friend said I couldn’t go forward looking back the only thing I would do was to trip up again’ can’t bring to mind but I know there are several scriptures relating to not looking back, setting your eyes on the goal etc...
Looking forward to hearing the milestones of success in your progress to your goals
Love and God bless you Alan

how do you stay pumped?

thanks

Not Scripture, but I've been there, done that and do own the t-shirt.. lol.

First, it's about making a plan you can actually do first and foremost.

Gym memberships and trips to the gym are bunk. The trips take extra time out of your day and gyms cost money that can be better spent elsewhere, at least for most people. Unless your disabled in some way and need a pool, anything to do with gyms are usually not anymore beneficial than things you can do at home.

Second, when dealing with willpower issues a book I've read which helped me considerably is called "Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength" by Roy F. Baumeister. I seriously recommend this book to one and all, and you can buy it used for around 4 dollars (no need getting brand new if you can save a little) and it's also available in e-book formats like Kindle. This will help you see where you may personally be going wrong in the exercise of your will to attain goals, and shows you that willpower, much like your body, needs exercise in order to build up endurance and strength.

We don't decide one day to run a marathon without training for it, yet we don't consider the training of our wills to enable ourselves to take on the tasks necessary to quality lives, especially quality Christian lives.

That said, when it comes to getting in better physical shape, don't bite off too much all at once. And don't put unnecessary strain on yourself.

Go for a walk, see how far you can go from your front door and get back to it without being breathless or tired, and without any leg cramps or any muscle soreness.

Now start there, and do that walk every single day for one week. By the end of the week you'll likely be sore, and tired.. if you are, you started in the right place. Now continue doing that walk daily until your muscles are no longer sore, and then add one extra step to your walk, just one, every day for one week, then stay there for a few days, sore yet? If not, continue adding just one extra step every day and stop adding when you start becoming sore.

One extra step a day sounds so minimal but they add up quickly, and before you know it your well on your way to somewhere positive. Plus, walks get you out of the house and gives you a nice break either in the morning or evening. Someday, you may want to turn that into a jog, but key to any attainable goal is to start small, as small as you may need.

Core muscle exercise is the same. Start small, do it every day for 5 days - if you hurt so bad it's killing you you started too big. Try 10 or 15 scrunches every day for 5 days. How does that feel? If your good to go, add in one extra until your sore, then continue on without adding until the soreness is gone and go back to adding one additional scrunch daily, so on and so forth. Use exercise bands (can be had very inexpensively) for arms etc. Same concept all around.

You should never loose more than two pounds a week. Your looking for lifestyle changes not fast and loose weight loss... so no crash dieting. Your body needs fuel, so give it the fuel it needs.

You will gain weight when you add exercise to your routine because muscle weighs more than fat, you can lose inches and see little scale change at first. So don't hyper focus on weight...

Eating healthier isn't all about deprivation. It's about changing some bad habits, and changing them slowly in a manner that new habits can and will form.

Drink flavored water in place of a soda, black coffee in place of your caramel macchiato, and relegate those calorie heavy things to occasional treats. Drinking diet soda? Stop it. Drink fresh cold water instead - leave the diet soda to the occasional treat.

Having ice cream nightly before bed, relegate that into something rare and try to avoid eating immediately prior to sleep. If you must eat something, make it a salad except for the rare occasion. (Eating before sleep is bad for you)

Make little changes slowly instead of large changes all at once much like adding one step a day to your walk. You can do the small thing far easier than you can the large, causing new more positive brain pathways to be created and lasting overall lifestyle change.

Hope this helps.

Not Scripture, but I've been there, done that and do own the t-shirt.. lol.

First, it's about making a plan you can actually do first and foremost.

Gym memberships and trips to the gym are bunk. The trips take extra time out of your day and gyms cost money that can be better spent elsewhere, at least for most people. Unless your disabled in some way and need a pool, anything to do with gyms are usually not anymore beneficial than things you can do at home.

Second, when dealing with willpower issues a book I've read which helped me considerably is called "Willpower: Rediscovering the Greatest Human Strength" by Roy F. Baumeister. I seriously recommend this book to one and all, and you can buy it used for around 4 dollars (no need getting brand new if you can save a little) and it's also available in e-book formats like Kindle. This will help you see where you may personally be going wrong in the exercise of your will to attain goals, and shows you that willpower, much like your body, needs exercise in order to build up endurance and strength.

We don't decide one day to run a marathon without training for it, yet we don't consider the training of our wills to enable ourselves to take on the tasks necessary to quality lives, especially quality Christian lives.

That said, when it comes to getting in better physical shape, don't bite off too much all at once. And don't put unnecessary strain on yourself.

Go for a walk, see how far you can go from your front door and get back to it without being breathless or tired, and without any leg cramps or any muscle soreness.

Now start there, and do that walk every single day for one week. By the end of the week you'll likely be sore, and tired.. if you are, you started in the right place. Now continue doing that walk daily until your muscles are no longer sore, and then add one extra step to your walk, just one, every day for one week, then stay there for a few days, sore yet? If not, continue adding just one extra step every day and stop adding when you start becoming sore.

One extra step a day sounds so minimal but they add up quickly, and before you know it your well on your way to somewhere positive. Plus, walks get you out of the house and gives you a nice break either in the morning or evening. Someday, you may want to turn that into a jog, but key to any attainable goal is to start small, as small as you may need.

Core muscle exercise is the same. Start small, do it every day for 5 days - if you hurt so bad it's killing you you started too big. Try 10 or 15 scrunches every day for 5 days. How does that feel? If your good to go, add in one extra until your sore, then continue on without adding until the soreness is gone and go back to adding one additional scrunch daily, so on and so forth. Use exercise bands (can be had very inexpensively) for arms etc. Same concept all around.

You should never loose more than two pounds a week. Your looking for lifestyle changes not fast and loose weight loss... so no crash dieting. Your body needs fuel, so give it the fuel it needs.

You will gain weight when you add exercise to your routine because muscle weighs more than fat, you can lose inches and see little scale change at first. So don't hyper focus on weight...

Eating healthier isn't all about deprivation. It's about changing some bad habits, and changing them slowly in a manner that new habits can and will form.

Drink flavored water in place of a soda, black coffee in place of your caramel macchiato, and relegate those calorie heavy things to occasional treats. Drinking diet soda? Stop it. Drink fresh cold water instead - leave the diet soda to the occasional treat.

Having ice cream nightly before bed, relegate that into something rare and try to avoid eating immediately prior to sleep. If you must eat something, make it a salad except for the rare occasion. (Eating before sleep is bad for you)

Make little changes slowly instead of large changes all at once much like adding one step a day to your walk. You can do the small thing far easier than you can the large, causing new more positive brain pathways to be created and lasting overall lifestyle change.

Hope this helps.
Thankyou.
Baby steps is the right way to go, and glad I found out that muscles weighs more than fat.
Also, your right about habits. I have changed a few things and I have noticed a difference. Developing healthy habits with little time is all about time management! Which I have learned to do with preparation and scheduling. I work nearly 50 hours a week and so I prioritise so that I can cook for the week.

Thankyou.
Baby steps is the right way to go, and glad I found out that muscles weighs more than fat.
Also, your right about habits. I have changed a few things and I have noticed a difference. Developing healthy habits with little time is all about time management! Which I have learned to do with preparation and scheduling. I work nearly 50 hours a week and so I prioritise so that I can cook for the week.

Yep, time management is so very important! Especially when your working and have family!

Even if I worked in an ice-cream parlour I probably would not want to eat ice-cream every night.
Basically soda is fizzy water, you can carbonise water yourself don't need to buy it and pay for all the bottles (basically its the bottles you are buying)
As for coffee, tea is much better for you and you can grow your own fresh herbs boil some water and brew some.
You'd have to be living near a coffee shop and supporting their business to have caramel everyday. The plantation workers actually don't get much for picking all those coffee beans. Most of them are actually SLAVES.

People seem to think if they can't see it, slavery doesn't exist.

Forget this if it’s not right but I’ve Been there done it got the t shirt! When I was struggling a friend reminded me that looking back, having our hands cluttered with past struggles stops God from being able to fill them with new blessings and opportunities
Love and God bless you Alan

Not Scripture, but I've been there, done that and do own the t-shirt.. lol. First, it's about making a plan you can actually do first and foremost. Having ice cream nightly before bed, relegate that into something rare and try to avoid eating immediately prior to sleep. If you must eat something, make it a salad except for the rare occasion. (Eating before sleep is bad for you) Make little changes slowly instead of large changes all at once much like adding one step a day to your walk. You can do the small thing far easier than you can the large, causing new more positive brain pathways to be created and lasting overall lifestyle change.
Hope this helps.

wow who actually has ice-cream nightly before bed, drinks soda and caramel macchiato everyday?? Living the luxe life!

Thankyou.

Excellent words of encouragement! Alan and Chris, I lost 5 pounds just from reading your posts. lol!

Ice cream, cookies anything like that before bedtime makes your heart and breathing work harder while sleeping.

Baby steps is the right way to go. I wish I practiced that years ago. I'm on Senior steps. lol!

I'm enjoying this topic.

God bless you all!

Back