Born again

using scripture with your thoughts also. what doe being Born again mean to you . Nicodemus had a hard time understanding and if we are honest its better experienced than explained . Born of the spirit and the water me personally i feel the water represents the word . due to the fact we are told faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God
11 For what man knoweth the things of a man, save the spirit of man which is in him? even so the things of God knoweth no man, but the Spirit of God.
12 Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that are freely given to us of God.
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual.
14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.
15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.
16 For who hath known the mind of the Lord, that he may instruct him? but we have the mind of Christ.
1 Cor 2:11-16

Were YOU ever given a time limit where you were asked to preach at?????

Just asking!!!

If I was ever told that I had a limited time frame to preach in, I would say......Ask someone else!

But. I am old and Old Fashioned!

Once, I guess about 1990, I was asked to give a homecoming sermon at the church I grew up in. The service started at 11 AM and the pastor had several singing groups, several testimonies and finally at 1:10 PM he introduced me.

I stood up and said....."The hour is late and most of us are tired, sleepy and hungry. Lord bless the meal, lets eat".

As God is my witness........I was given a standing ovation!
I heard about an ultra modern newly constructed church in town. When you walked in initially there was only one row of benches on which to sit. Once that bench was filled, the bench shuttled to the front and behind the first bench. This was done to stop the back benches from hiding in the back of the auditorium.

During the inaugural opening of the church, things went well, and the congregation was impressed.

They were most impressed when at 12 noon, while the preacher was still preaching, the pulpit stage began descending and recessing itself down into the basement.

i dont do time frame when preaching you preach till you run out of oil. a good pastor friend of mine preached a revival at a full gospel church/ . he got wound up preached 2 hours and 10 minuets a preacher should not drag it out just to be preaching. the Holy Spirit will tell you when

I heard about an ultra modern newly constructed church in town. When you walked in initially there was only one row of benches on which to sit. Once that bench was filled, the bench shuttled to the front and behind the first bench. This was done to stop the back benches from hiding in the back of the auditorium.

During the inaugural opening of the church, things went well, and the congregation was impressed.

They were most impressed when at 12 noon, while the preacher was still preaching, the pulpit stage began descending and recessing itself down into the basement.
LOL! Amen!

The only time I went past 12 noon was on the days we would have Communion or a Baptism. When someone preaches for an hour or two, all he is doing is showing off because no one is listening. About 20 -30 minutes is the normal persons attention span.
After that, most people simple zone out. They are there, but they are not there.

Last edited:
LOL! Amen!

The only time I went past 12 noon was on the days we would have Communion or a Baptism. When someone preaches for an hour or two, all he is doing is showing off because no one is listening. About 20 -30 minutes is the normal persons attention span.
After that, most people simple zone out. They are there, but they are not there.
lol evidently you have no been in the services i have. 2 hours preaching the next night he got up and said the spirit was strong he couldn't preach. he then said i have discernment do i need come and point out? people got up went forward for prayer. at the end of the service a man in the back stood up and said i guess its me your after.... scoff if you must but this is a true story the wife and i was there, when the anointing is there you PREACH . problem we have today is we program our services with a time limit .

i was in another service it was a association meeting . the preacher preached a young lady went to the altar the man over the service tried to close. untill i spoke up and said the altar is in use. he said oh i never noticed..... Carnal mind ....so much for the post born again

LOL! Amen!

I once knew a great preacher named Lee Roberson who said that if your sermon exceeded 20-25 minutes, you have not properly prepared.

I once knew a great preacher named Lee Roberson who said that if your sermon exceeded 20-25 minutes, you have not properly prepared.
I agree 100%!!!

The preacher who preaches for an hour or more, is the kind of person who just likes to hear the sound of their own voice.
I think maybe that it is because they have been brainwashed in to believing that doing so shows the world that they are as good of a preacher as they think that they are.

Dr. Robertson was very special!

Last edited:
The preacher who preaches for an hour or more, is the kind of person who just likes to hear the sound of their own voice.

I think maybe that it is because they have been brainwashed in to believing that doing so shows the world that they are as good of a preacher as they think that they are.
once again i realize that this is a one sided conversation .due to the fact i am on ignore... i might just come close to denting the tos in the forum.

i find your remarks insulting to preaching .. granted not every message has to be long. but if the Holy Spirit is in in it. Dont quench the spirit !!!!! i have been in some very real church services where the Spirit was moving and it lasted longer than a hour. with Preaching.

it bothers me very much to read such things as the above . i am sure Dr. Robertson was a good main of God.. But le remind he is just a an even if he is a doctor . the degree does not make the man . the power of the spirit does . i wonder when God was put on a time clock. i have yet to find in scripture a Church service has to be out by noon.

maybe somebody can give me a scripture

once again i realize that this is a one sided conversation .due to the fact i am on ignore... i might just come close to denting the tos in the forum.

i find your remarks insulting to preaching .. granted not every message has to be long. but if the Holy Spirit is in in it. Dont quench the spirit !!!!! i have been in some very real church services where the Spirit was moving and it lasted longer than a hour. with Preaching.

it bothers me very much to read such things as the above . i am sure Dr. Robertson was a good main of God.. But le remind he is just a an even if he is a doctor . the degree does not make the man . the power of the spirit does . i wonder when God was put on a time clock. i have yet to find in scripture a Church service has to be out by noon.

maybe somebody can give me a scripture
Your point is taken. Persons who are bored with repetitive content and using the Lord's name in vain as filler during the presentation can get up and leave whenever they wish (I've heard preacher's say "Praise God" dozens of times when they can't think of what to say next; most people use "uh" to fill in these pauses. Using the Lord's name for filler is using the name in vain).

Speaking of Spirit filled preaching, a preacher named Jonathan Edwards once READ his sermon, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, from his pulpit for 20 minutes and ignited a nationwide revival that continued for half a century, spreading as far as Europe. God uses preachers of every stripe, educated doctors or illiterate hillbillies, to spread his gospel message, and he uses each of them according to their gifts and audiences.

Your point is taken. Persons who are bored with repetitive content and using the Lord's name in vain as filler during the presentation can get up and leave whenever they wish (I've heard preacher's say "Praise God" dozens of times when they can't think of what to say next; most people use "uh" to fill in these pauses. Using the Lord's name for filler is using the name in vain).

Speaking of Spirit filled preaching, a preacher named Jonathan Edwards once READ his sermon, Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God, from his pulpit for 20 minutes and ignited a nationwide revival that continued for half a century, spreading as far as Europe. God uses preachers of every stripe, educated doctors or illiterate hillbillies, to spread his gospel message, and he uses each of them according to their gifts and audiences.
yes he does in the days of bro Edwards you could preach the word of GOD and see people saved. my self i make notes to keep me in line. but when the preacher gets there its time for preaching. the great revival's started in Europe then spread to the west. my reply was not in reference to educated/ uneducated preachers. but putting a time clock on preaching. i once preached at a homecoming yearly held. one came to me saying only ten minuets or so. another came to me we dont want a long sermon its hot. well duhh like i didnt know that. you see if a man is called to preacher he has a built in clock. called the anointing / the Holy Spirit aka discernment . trust me if i dont have any more oil i shut up.

probably biggest problem with sunday morning. we didnt prepare for it Saturday and Saturday night . praying for the service praying for the preacher. its hard enough on the pastor trying to melt the ice by building a fire. yes the preacher has to prepare himself. i wait on the Lord to give me the message . many times he gives me the scriptures but the message comes that morning.

everything in the service should be prayed about and led by the Holy Spirit . i like a saying a old time preacher man once said. well have preaching when the preacher gets there . other wise we will have a sermonette go to the dinette and smoke a cigarette . ..

preaching is not easy those who think it is should try it. even pastor a church . a buddy of mine drives truck sometimes 12 -14 hours a day.. sometimes leaves at midnight to 5 a.m any place time wise between that. there are many great preachers i like what paul wrote though we have ten thousand teachers. yet we have not many fathers in the Lord... i love to hear the preachers of old.

Back