Anyone have experience in a HOA? Home Owners Association? 🙏

A community was built on what was formerly a farmers property that abuts mine.

Quite a few houses are just barely on the other side of my property line.

1688104627411.png
There's always one.

One of those community members is a chronic offender for illegal dumping on non-comminity/HOA neighbors property.

She targeted one abandoned home lot that abuts her house.
Household paper waste, building materials, toilets, tile, etc...

Now she's started to leave large kitchen discards on my property. A mini fridge and a stair master.

I approached her yesterday with a picture of her discards on my property. She launched into this defensive attitude and claimed it wasn't on my property.

I contacted their HOA and was told to email the person whose responsibility is to address community member issues.

I also sent the images.

I thought there might be some rule in an HOA that pertained to members offense against non-community/HOA properties.

Then I might be able to send another email and refer to that type rule, if one exists.

Police here rarely care about offenses of this type.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reading this. I hope I put it on the right board.

God Bless.

Is your home and property part of the same HOA as the offenders?

If you both belong to the same HOA you can pursue this by first contacting (preferably a registered letter) and then meeting with the president or board of the HOA and lodging a complaint that she is in violation of their CC&R’s.

If you are not part of the same HOA it is more difficult. You can try the above, but they may be less anxious to help. Experience has taught me that, if this is the case, and you are not a member, her HOA is less unlikely to do anything. But but give it a try anyway.

Your cheapest avenue then is to contact the city, or, if you are rural, the county, and explain there is illegal dumping and hazardous waste being dumped. Also mention health and vermin concerns. This may motivate them to at least come out and take a look. You can try this and see if they get involved. They may offer advice also. Although, in my experience it is sometimes difficult to get anyone motivated to do something.

Also, if there is a stream or lake nearby, then your state, perhaps even the Feds, might be interested in possible stream, lake and ground water contamination, so try them.

There is also small claims courts you can pursue but you’ll need some legal advice, documentation, photos, dates etc., and that will be a little more difficult.

I am sorry you are having to deal with this and will say a prayer for you.

Have you thought about listing these things on ebay? Someone might buy them and fix them up to resell them. If she complains about your selling her property then you get her to write a letter for you to cease and desist selling her property. Now you would have her admitting that the junk is hers and can present that in civil court.

Hello Baby Finch;

I don't know what part of the country you live. Illegal dumping is a serious offense and I'm sure if you take the proper measures to report this to the Illegal Dumping Resources in your area, beyond yours or their HOA / local police.

I was just thinking about HOAs this week in California. We don't have an HOA in our community but I was blown away at what the homeowners in other communities pay on a monthly basis. If anyone is caught illegal dumping inside or outside an HOA has serious consequences and heavy fines.

We had a property manager for our second home in Goodyear, AZ until we sold it in 2019. It was a new housing development and an HOA was required. The HOA billed us $198.00 per quarter. They had members of the HOA patrol our neighborhood for violations for unkempt homes and illegal dumping.

You did good by taking photos.

God bless you, and I'm also praying for your circumstance.

A community was built on what was formerly a farmers property that abuts mine.

Quite a few houses are just barely on the other side of my property line.

View attachment 9411
There's always one.

One of those community members is a chronic offender for illegal dumping on non-comminity/HOA neighbors property.

She targeted one abandoned home lot that abuts her house.
Household paper waste, building materials, toilets, tile, etc...

Now she's started to leave large kitchen discards on my property. A mini fridge and a stair master.

I approached her yesterday with a picture of her discards on my property. She launched into this defensive attitude and claimed it wasn't on my property.

I contacted their HOA and was told to email the person whose responsibility is to address community member issues.

I also sent the images.

I thought there might be some rule in an HOA that pertained to members offense against non-community/HOA properties.

Then I might be able to send another email and refer to that type rule, if one exists.

Police here rarely care about offenses of this type.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thank you for reading this. I hope I put it on the right board.

God Bless.
What's being done is a civil offense against your property. You can take the culprit to small claims court and sue for civil damages as well as the cost for cleaning up your property.

Where I am, if anyone dumps rubbish on council property or reserve land that is public, that is also illegal and we can report it, there's an 0800 number can call and they will sort it out, remove whatever and contact the households nearby to check if it's their's.

There are fines too.
Take photos and send it to the authorities. I think you did the right thing and pray it gets sorted.

It's better the authorities confront them than you. They can also advise this person where to take her discards - the actual dump, or a recycle centre (which won't charge) or freecycle or Habitat for Humanity or Salvation Army (who also do free pick ups)

Here, we use old fridges and repurpose them as fridge libraries.
If the stair master is still usable, maybe a public school could use it in their gym. They seem quite expensive. Often people discard things that are still usable they are just downsizing or maybe renovating and have nowhere to put anything. If it's just for an inorganic collection day make sure they know someone is designated to come and pick those items up.

Back