An Interesting Hebrew Idiom

Apr 28, 2020
Tennessee
Notice the sentence below: "his anger was kindled."

As soon as his master heard the words that his wife spoke to him, “This is the way your servant treated me,” his anger was kindled (Gen. 39:19).

Under this simple English clause lurks a Hebrew idiom. I colored coded each word to make it easy to see what I am talking about.
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 12.31.29 PM.png
Literally those are the words of the idiom.

Here is the lexical support.
Screen Shot 2024-05-09 at 12.36.35 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-05-09 at 12.38.57 PM.png
See HALOT vol. 1 p. 77 and p. 351.

It is pretty easy to see how this idiom came to be. Think about it. When someone get angry the face becomes flush (i.e. turns red) and they begin to breathe harder (i.e. huff and puff).

Just something I though some might find interesting.

As soon as his master heard the words that his wife spoke to him, “This is the way your servant treated me,” his anger was kindled (Gen. 39:19).

Under this simple English clause lurks a Hebrew idiom. I colored coded each word to make it easy to see what I am talking about.
View attachment 10901

View attachment 10903View attachment 10904

It is pretty easy to see how this idiom came to be. Think about it. When someone get angry the face becomes flush (i.e. turns red) and they begin to breathe harder (i.e. huff and puff).

Just something I though some might find interesting.
In my seminary Hebrew course, we translated the Joseph story, and I remember this interesting idiom. Did you happen to notice the identity of the jailer in Joseph's prison? It was the captain of the guard, which was the capacity that Potipher served Pharoah.

Last edited:
In my seminary Hebrew course, we translated the Joseph story, and I remember this interesting idiom. Did you happen to notice the identity of the jailer in Joseph's prison? It was the captain of the guard, which was the capacity that Potipher served Pharoah.
If I am not mistaken, I believe you are referring to the Hebrew noun שַׂר (i.e. śar).

View attachment 10901

View attachment 10903View attachment 10904

Just something I though some might f
I don't know what this format is in. I was about to reply, changed my mind and now I can't delete it, so here I post. :p

• Smile
Reactions: bobinfaith
There is another component the above idiom.
Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 8.44.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2024-05-15 at 8.59.33 AM.png
(The Dictionary of Classical Hebrew, Vol. 1 p. 379.)

If someone has long nose that means it takes a long time for that person to get angry. Thus this idiom is most often translated "slow to anger." Another way to view it is to think about someone taking a long deep breath through the nose before they become angry.