about our souls

I did some deeper research, but in most cases I come up with the same results except for those extreme areas where the teaching is wayyyy out there. The phrase "Immortal Soul" does not appear anywhere in the bible, the phrase was coined by the greek Philosopher, Plato.
I may be wrong, but I think the closest explanation of this word (Soul) may be found in this link, which basically agrees with other sites I have visited, but based on Biblical teaching. No matter how you look at it, our existence after we leave this world is strickly a Gift from our Creator, Jehovah God.

What Happens at Death?
Does your soul go to Heaven . . . or some OTHER place?

Ezekiel 16:4 Behold, all souls are mine; as the soul of the father, so also the soul of the son is mine: the soul that sinneth, it shall die.

John 8:51 verily, I say unto you, If a man keep my saying, he shall never see death.

John 11:26 And whosoever liveth and believeth in me shall never die

I did some deeper research, but in most cases I come up with the same results except for those extreme areas where the teaching is wayyyy out there.

how do you determine which teaching are wayyyy out there? is it if it disagrees with what you believe?

The phrase "Immortal Soul" does not appear anywhere in the bible, the phrase was coined by the greek Philosopher, Plato.

There are plenty of concepts that don't have the exact words in the Bible but the concepts are taught. an example would be Trinity, That word is not in the Bible but the concept is clearly taught.

I may be wrong, but I think the closest explanation of this word (Soul) may be found in this link, which basically agrees with other sites I have visited, but based on Biblical teaching. No matter how you look at it, our existence after we leave this world is strickly a Gift from our Creator, Jehovah God.

What Happens at Death?
Does your soul go to Heaven . . . or some OTHER place?

From what I'm getting in this persons study is there is no such thing as Hell, You will stop existing unless you have the gift of eternal life. But the Bible has plenty of references for that not being the case.
Matthew 25:31-46
Jesus tells about the final judgment
31 When the Son of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory: 32 and before him shall be gathered all nations: and he shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd divideth his sheep from the goats: 33 and he shall set the sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left.
34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee? 39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.
41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was an hungred, and ye gave me no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: 43 I was a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. 44 Then shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? 45 Then shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye did it not to me. 46 And these shall go away into everlasting punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

Hell is a real place, here are some scriptures answering some questions.

IS THERE REALLY A PLACE CALLED HELL?
Matthew 7:13 . . . “You can enter God’s Kingdom only through the narrow gate. The highway to hell is broad, and its gate is wide for the many who choose the easy way.â€
Matthew 13:49-50 . . . That is the way it will be at the end of the world. The angels will come and separate the wicked people from the godly, throwing the wicked into the fore.
2 Peter 2:4 . . . God did not spare even the angels when they sinned; he threw them into hell.
Revelation 20:10 . . . Then the Devil . . .was thrown into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur . . .There they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
Although we don’t know where hell is, it definitely exists.

WHAT IS HELL LIKE?
2 Peter 2:4 . . . God did not spare even the angels when they sinned; he threw them into hell, in gloomy caves.
Revelation 19:20 . . . Both the beast and his false prophet were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.
Jude 1:7 . . . Those cities were destroyed by fire and are a warning of the eternal fire that will punish all who are evil.
Luke 14:22-24 . . . The rich man also died and was buried, and his soul went to the place of the dead. There, in torment, he saw Lazarus in the far distance with Abraham. The rich man shouted, “Father Abraham, have some pity! Send Lazarus over here to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in anguish in these flames.â€
Our imaginations can not comprehend how horrible hell is. Here on earth we tend to think in time spans that have a beginning and end. There will be no end to hell.

WHO WILL BE SENT TO HELL?
Revelation 20:15 . . . Anyone whose name was not found recorded in the Book of Life was thrown into the lake of fire.
Jude 1:15 . . . He will bring the people of the world to judgment. He will convict the ungodly of all the evil things they have done in rebellion and of all the insults that godless sinners have spoken against him.
Many people will be surprised on judgment day to find that living a good life and being successful did not secure their place in heaven.

HOW CAN I BE ASSURED THAT I AM NOT GOING TO HELL?
John 3:16 . . . God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.
John 14:6 . . . Jesus told him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one can come to the Father except through me.â€
1 John 4:17 . . . As we live in God, our love grows more perfect. So we will not be afraid on the day of judgment, but we can face him with confidence because we are like Christ here in this world.
Romans 10:9-10 . . . If you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.
There is only one way to be certain that you are included in the Book of Life. You must confess your sin and believe in Jesus Christ as your personal Savior. By taking this step you have secured your place in heaven and you don’t have to fear hell again.

Hope this helps
GsusFrk:bible:

I would have quote your question, but I do not know how to.
Not necessarily disagree with what I belive (well, maybe it is). Some things I came across had to do with reincarnation or no Heaven or Hell does not exist. If these are also true then everything we are discussing is a waste of time and nothing matters.
Are you asking my what I believe in, or are you just discussing the articles in the link?

I would have quote your question, but I do not know how to.
Not necessarily disagree with what I belive (well, maybe it is). Some things I came across had to do with reincarnation or no Heaven or Hell does not exist. If these are also true then everything we are discussing is a waste of time and nothing matters.
Are you asking my what I believe in, or are you just discussing the articles in the link?

the way to quote someone is to click on the quote button on the bottom right hand corner of the post, then delete everything you don't want to quote.

my question could be to both. What do you believe? and did I understand the article in your link correctly?

I believe that Jesus Christ (Y"shua) was born of a virgin, died on the cross for our sins and on the third day he rose again where today he sits at the right hand of the Father. I believe in the Father, Son and Holy Spirit, (Trinity). I will stop here, but if there is anything you would like to ask please feel free. My life is an open book because my name is written in the Book of Life". Thank You Dear LORD.
Sorry, Thank you GsusFrk for the assistance with quoting.

Ansent from the body, present with the LORD. As Jesus said to the thoef on the cross, Today, you will be with me in Paradise. When a Believer and Follower of Jesus Christ passes away the Spirit leaves the body and goes to Heaven, but I do not believe it enters the Holy of Holies until the final judgment when we receive our rewards. The body is placed in the grave where it returns to dust, but at the final resurrection our spirit will be rejoined with a (our) perfect body and we will be just like Jesus, almost.
He is King of Kings and LORD of Lords.
For those who are seperated from YHVH they will enter the pit of Hell until Satan is cast into the Lake of fire, where they will also go and be seperated from God forever. I also believe that there will be a 1000 year reign that will take place.

I agree too, well mostly. I thought that for a really long time but I did a recent study and I don't think the unsaved enter the lake of fire till the very end, described in Revelation. I think they are in Hades/Sheol until that point, (the parable of the rich man and the begger being in Abraham's bosom). Which is still not a pleasant place, nothing like purgatory though.

Anyway, I was just getting confused with what you were saying from the links you were posting.

I hope all this info helps clear things up for the initial poster of the question.

Sylvanus said:

Now I said that
'the theory of Hell is justified by the theory of the eternity of the soul'.
I should rather have said:
'the theory of the everlastingness of the soul justifies the theory of the everlastingness of Hell'.

If the soul does not happen to live for all eternity into everlasting, what will be consumed by flame?
Revelation 20:14 says:
'And death and hades were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death'.

From the quote above you sound like your saying that there is an everlastingness of Hell therefore the leads to the everlastingness of the soul!! which is what I was saying but then your next line says the opposite.

Sylvanus said:
My point here, is that Hell exists, but does not endure forever. If it was forever, what would it be consuming, since even death itself is no more? We know that it won't be souls since they are also no more. But if souls are for ever, there is a reason for Hell to burn, and this is why I said: 'the theory of hell is ..... inspiring fear toward a righteous life' ('If you are not righteous, your soul will burn forever' comment). We are all taught that it is souls that burn in Hell, and to it is added that that is forever.

Now this is where I'm confused, now your saying that hell doesn't endure forever. But scripture says it does in: Matthew 25:41 Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:

everything other than the above quote about Hell not lasting forever, I think I agree with. I guess the logic I'm applying is the opposite side of what you're saying above. The Bible says an everlasting fire (See above verse) what is the purpose of an everlasting fire if there is not an everlasting soul to consume. Why wouldn't the fire be out after it consumed everything and stop it from existing?

I'm not sure what side your taking. it sounds like you saying hell and therefore the soul doesn't last forever.

If you are saying it doesn't last forever than we'll just have to agree to disagree. Or you could show me scripture that says or even hints that hell doesn't last forever.:)

Jas 5:20 Let him know,1097 that3754 he which converteth1994 the sinner268 from1537 the error4106 of his846 way3598 shall save4982 a soul5590 from1537 death,2288 and2532 shall hide2572 a multitude4128 of sins.266

Heb 10:39 But1161 we2249 are2070 not3756 of them who draw back5289 unto1519 perdition;684 but235 of them that believe4102 to the saving1519, 4047 of the soul.5590

Act 2:31 He seeing this before4275 spake2980 of4012 the3588 resurrection386 of Christ,5547 that3754 his846 soul5590 was not3756 left2641 in1519 hell,86 neither3761 his846 flesh4561 did see1492 corruption.1312

Act 2:25 For1063 David1138 speaketh3004 concerning1519 him,846 I foresaw4308 the3588 Lord2962 always1223, 3956 before1799 my face,3450 for3754 he is2076 on1537 my3450 right hand,1188 that2443 I should not3361 be moved:4531
Act 2:26 Therefore1223, 5124 did my3450 heart2588 rejoice,2165 and2532 my3450 tongue1100 was glad;21 moreover1161, 2089 also2532 my3450 flesh4561 shall rest2681 in1909 hope:1680
Act 2:27 Because3754 thou wilt not3756 leave1459 my3450 soul5590 in1519 hell,86 neither3761 wilt thou suffer1325 thine4675 Holy One3741 to see1492 corruption.1312

Mar 8:34 And2532 when he had called4341 the3588 people3793untohim with4862 his848 disciples3101 also, he said2036 unto them,846Whosoever3748will2309come2064after3694me,3450lethimdeny533himself,1438and2532take up142his846cross,4716and2532follow190me.3427
Mar 8:35For1063whosoever3739, 302will2309save4982his848life5590shalllose622it;846but1161whosoever3739, 302shalllose622his848life5590for my sake1752, 1700and2532the3588gospel's,2098the same3778shallsave4982it.846
Mar 8:36For1063what5101shallitprofit5623aman,444if1437heshallgain2770the3588whole3650world,2889and2532lose2210his own848soul?5590
Mar 8:37Or2228what5101shallaman444give1325in exchange465forhis848soul?5590

Mat 10:28And2532fear5399not3361, (575)them which kill615the3588body,4983but1161arenot3361able1410tokill615the3588soul:5590but1161rather3123fear5399him which is able1410todestroy622both2532soul5590and2532body4983in1722hell.1067

Eze 33:9 Nevertheless, if3588 thou859 warn2094 the wicked7563 of his way4480, 1870 to turn7725 from4480 it; if he do not3808 turn7725 from his way,4480, 1870 he1931 shall die4191 in his iniquity;5771 but thou859 hast delivered5337 thy soul.5315

Eze 18:27 Again, when the wicked7563 man turneth away7725 from his wickedness4480, 7564 that834 he hath committed,6213 and doeth6213 that which is lawful4941 and right,6666 he1931 shall save his soul alive.2421, (853), 5315

I agree with Violet, it is our bodies that are resurrected. I believe in Hell as much as I believe in the floor I am standing on. It is real. It is eternal separation from God and I believe the souls in Hell will be totally alone. ( no parties as some rock stars believe.) I believe that there will be different degrees to Hell. Some levels reserved for the truely cruel humans.

Our souls must live for ever it will just be where your soul excists. I believe our conciousness will always go where our soul goes and I believe that those who have passed before us are now in paradise ( if Christian ) and those who where not believers are not in paradise. Probably in Hell. Remember there is no time constraint for anyone outside the earthly realm. My opinion only.

i find it funny people think hell will be a alnight party,a liar from the begining will be in charge lol.i hope it goes ok for them,with no God to help them.

I read with interest at all that is said about the soul and the body. Maybe one should explain why we say the soul is immortal and what the soul consists of. It seems like no one is saying anything about the spirit. Man is body, soul and spirit, when thrown into the lake of fire, what happens to your spirit? Sorry for not using scripture to support what I'm writing here, I still have not figured out how everything works here.

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment rises for ever and ever. There is no rest day or night for those who worship the beast and his image, or for anyone who receives the mark of his name."

or in the KJV:

Revelation 14:11
And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

THere was another thread where we discussed the mark of the beast. I think the mark is our doctrine and our actions. This verse says that they will have no rest day or night. I do not think souls are destroyed. If that is what happens to the unregenerate, unsaved person, then it ain't all that bad. God will exact and He will demand payment for those infinite sins committed against Him! He exacted them out on the person of Christ for our behalf. Worthy is the Lamb to receive honor and glory!

Since I do not hold to the trichotomous view of man, I do not believe man is soul, spirit, and body, but only soul and body. The human soul that has not had their sins taken away will be tormented forever (Revelation 14:11, 20:15), while those who are forgiven will enjoy everlasting life with Christ (John 3:16). Reincarnation is simply out of the equation (Hebrews 9:27). We will all be held in account before the throne of God (Revelation 20:12). God's justice on that day will be swift, precise and utterly terrifying to all present, I am sure.

I read with interest at all that is said about the soul and the body. Maybe one should explain why we say the soul is immortal and what the soul consists of. It seems like no one is saying anything about the spirit. Man is body, soul and spirit, when thrown into the lake of fire, what happens to your spirit? Sorry for not using scripture to support what I'm writing here, I still have not figured out how everything works here.

The reason I think the soul is immortal is because the eternal fire that the unsaved end up in is eternal, and the saved have eternal life. The Scripture talking about the eternal flame was in a previous post I had in this thread.

I think the soul consist of emotion, will, intellect. I don't know if scripture entirely backs that up. That is kinda my own speculation.

The Spirit of man is dead, until it is quickened when the person becomes a christian. So the unsaved's spirit is still dead. Therefore man is imcomplete until they become a Christian, our spirit is what communicates with the Holy Spirit. That is taught in the Bible, if you want verses let me know and I'll look them up. Off the top of my head, I think it talks about it somewhere in one of the books of corinthians.

Back