“Not In The Flesh”

In the NT the word “flesh” means “old man” or sin nature nearly every time it’s used; the OT usage is always in reference to the physical body. Romans 8:9 gives the saint the most “exhorting” word! It speaks of the sin nature (“flesh”) being in the believer, but the believer is not in the sin nature (something only God can do), but “in the Spirit.” The crux of this stupendous spiritual-growth truth is that the “old man” can no longer cause the Christian to desire to sin. It’s what the desire is in the heart that God wants, “For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also” (Mat 6:21). If our Father has our heart, He has the whole of us, because the treasure in a soul counts for all!

Paul owned up to the fact that the sin nature was his (Rom 7:14, 18). Thankfully he also owned up to the fact that it was no longer himself, after the new nature, that was sinning, but himself after the old man (vs 17, 20—which he was no longer a part of). He declared that he no longer desired to sin: “For that which I do I allow not” (v 15). This answers to his usage of the word “captive” (v23). A captive is held against his will and desire, thus his intention is to say that his sins are always against his desires; and this is where it all matters to God—in the desires of the heart.

Desire to please God instead of desire after the old man is exactly what God is always “working in us” (Phl 2:13). The saints desires after the new man (new nature) is all that the Father takes into account, thus His forgiveness and love are never broken, but are persistently and permanently exercised within us; as all He sees is that “treasure” (loving and pleasing God) which is eternally in the heart.

The gist of this entire issue is that Christians should never feel guilt concerning any issue, as God always brings us to repentance concerning our sins (unless we’re not really His yet). When we realize our sins we are still under God’s forgiveness because He knows we will always repent (1Jn 1:9); and it is the guilt that Christ’s Cross keeps us from (Mat 6:13), so that we can maintain an unbroken-peace as much as possible; so we can be used of Him, to draw the lost and strengthen the saved!!

NC

Hello netchaplain;

I enjoyed reading “Not In The Flesh” I wanted to comment and question the teaching of the "old man."

As Christians it is not our intention to go back to the ways of the "old man." Just the same, it's not our intention to fall back into sin.

Would you say that both equate to the same thing?

Its our intention to walk in relationship and obedience to God and He knows we all will fall short. Therefore, repentance is not only wise but it's a command.

Your thoughts?

God bless you, brother.

Hello netchaplain;

I enjoyed reading “Not In The Flesh” I wanted to comment and question the teaching of the "old man."

As Christians it is not our intention to go back to the ways of the "old man." Just the same, it's not our intention to fall back into sin.

Would you say that both equate to the same thing?

Its our intention to walk in relationship and obedience to God and He knows we all will fall short. Therefore, repentance is not only wise but it's a command.

Your thoughts?

God bless you, brother.
Your pretty close to the truth of the "old man," and yes they are the same ting. The believer is entirely separated (Ro 8:9) from the "guilt" (Ro 8:1) and "dominion" (Ro 6:14) of the old man (sin nature), which is a permanent state. Concerning "drawing back" (Heb 10:38, 39) or apostatizing, this confirms one not "enduring unto the end" because of not being born again yet.

One wo is reborn cannot "fall into sin" again because of Philippians 2:13. If professing Christians truly fall into sin, they are not reborn (Jde 1:24).

God's blessings to your Family!

Back