The Doctrine of Torah-ism, Again...

As I have mentioned before in another thread of mine, there is a growing number of Gentile believers who choose to keep the Jewish cultural traditions of Sabbath keeping, dietary laws and Jewish observances, such as feasts and festivals. Sounds harmless, right?

This growing trend of Christians today, who profess faith in Jesus, but who are not of Jewish ethnicity or descent, and yet choosing to do the above listed things. Again, innocent sounding, right?

The problem I have encountered when coming into contact with these groups is that most of them believe God commanded them to do so. To them, these things are more than just Jewish traditions, but that they are allegedly biblical commandments for us today who are in Christ.

I won't call out the names by which they identify themselves because I don't want to advertise for them.

This mindset can be, and is dangerous. Please keep in mind that it's one thing to observe and practice those things in the Mosaic Law out of a sense of freedom to do so, but when any teaching is conveyed as compulsory upon others as a moral obligation originating from the Lord our God, that's an entirely different matter.

Exodus 19:3-6
3 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and [how] I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.
5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine:
6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These [are] the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

This was not spoken to the Canaanites, the Tishites or any other the numerous nations all in and around the promised land. It was specifically aimed at the children of Israel for the PURPOSE of setting them apart, to be a peculiar people, and a nation of priests.

As you can also see in the above verses, the requirement was laid down, and the promised reward for obedience offered. Therefore the Mosaic Law itself clearly targeting specifically the "house of Jacob." Any other interpretation that is thrown into the wording as an eisegetical addition to the text what clearly is not there, that's a level of intellectual dishonesty that tricks others into thinking a theology whereby one is left with the equation of:

Christ + Mosaic Law = Salvation

This is absolutely a false narrative. Most of the Torah followers will deny that equation, claiming that salvation comes only through Christ, and that is indeed the truth. The half truth mixture happens when add the element of the Mosaic Law into the mix. They never want to admit that their teaching of NOT obeying the Mosaic Law is allegedly akin to disobedience, which then nullifies salvation.

Folks, let's keep this simple and consistent with the scriptures, shall we? The biblical definition for "disobedience" in any biblical context, where morality is concerned, is this:

1 Timothy 1:8-11
8 But we know that the (Mosaic) law [is] good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the (Mosaic) law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

Those who practice such things are not going to inherit the Kingdom of God.

Therefore:

That is the inevitable outflow of that doctrine.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

I added (Mosaic) in the 1 Timothy quotes above because the Greek word 'nomos' is a reference to, in this context and grammatical application, the Mosaic Law. Notice that Paul mentioned specific items of sin, which are outlawed in the Mosaic Law, and therefore defined as sins. Nowhere is any other element of the Mosaic Law upheld in this context as binding upon anyone, but that the disobedient are those who are among the guilty perpetrators of these violations of God's moral absolutes.

So, the problem rests in declaring as disobedient all others who do not adhere to the rest of the Mosaic Law that is nowhere commanded of Gentile believers anywhere in the Gospels nor the epistles. The accusers do the Michael Jackson side-slip when their own guilt is pointed out tot them for not offering up burnt sacrifices and many other of the 613 laws outlined in the Mosaic Law. Their thinking is that those things that cannot be lived out due to the lack of a temple and priesthood is ample reason for remaining free from the accusation of disobedience. What they miss is that, had it been the Lord's will for adherence to such things, the Lord would have already provided for a way to live that law in obedience.

Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Notice the wording that says a change "...OF the Law," not IN the Law. Christ, being our High Priest, was not of the tribe of Levi, so there obviously was indeed a change in the priesthood, which has led to a change in the Law.

Jeremiah 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Again, if the Gentiles were also bound to the Mosaic Law, then they too would have been of mention in this prophesy, but it is completely silent toward any inclusion of Gentile believers or otherwise.

Hebrews 8:8, 13
8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: ...
13 In that he saith, A new [covenant], he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old [is] ready to vanish away.

Hebrews 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than [that of] Abel.

Any and all gyrations and wiggling to try and squirm out from under the enormous weight of what this is actually saying is a wasted effort. It is futile. It irritates legalists to no end having to admit the Mosaic Law is confined within the constraints of a covenant, which was violated almost from day one, given the stiff-necked disobedience that characterized the Israelites.

The Mosaic Law was a covenant established with the 'house of Jacob," not all the rest of the nations of the world. Exodus 19 verses quoted above bear that out in clear and unmistakable language.

Now, granted, there is a foundational, timeless and borderless Law of God upon which ALL the various covenants of Law have been built, which includes the laws, statutes and commands Abraham obeyed, as stated in Genesis 26, the Mosaic Law, and the New Covenant Laws and commands established by Christ. What Abraham was given to obey, they are gone. The Mosaic Law is gone, and we now have the New Covenant, all of which are derived from God's Law. The main difference is that the Mosaic Law had many things added to them by the Lord to govern culture, diet, sin COVERING, and observances, which are not timeless elements that carry with them any moral implications outside of the people at whom they were aimed, and that the people themselves agreed that they would obey, and didn't.

So, what are your thoughts?

MM

As I have mentioned before in another thread of mine, there is a growing number of Gentile believers who choose to keep the Jewish cultural traditions of Sabbath keeping, dietary laws and Jewish observances, such as feasts and festivals. Sounds harmless, right?

This growing trend of Christians today, who profess faith in Jesus, but who are not of Jewish ethnicity or descent, and yet choosing to do the above listed things. Again, innocent sounding, right?

The problem I have encountered when coming into contact with these groups is that most of them believe God commanded them to do so. To them, these things are more than just Jewish traditions, but that they are allegedly biblical commandments for us today who are in Christ.

I won't call out the names by which they identify themselves because I don't want to advertise for them.

This mindset can be, and is dangerous. Please keep in mind that it's one thing to observe and practice those things in the Mosaic Law out of a sense of freedom to do so, but when any teaching is conveyed as compulsory upon others as a moral obligation originating from the Lord our God, that's an entirely different matter.

Exodus 19:3-6
3 And Moses went up unto God, and the LORD called unto him out of the mountain, saying, Thus shalt thou say to the house of Jacob, and tell the children of Israel;
4 Ye have seen what I did unto the Egyptians, and [how] I bare you on eagles' wings, and brought you unto myself.
5 Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth [is] mine:
6 And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These [are] the words which thou shalt speak unto the children of Israel.

This was not spoken to the Canaanites, the Tishites or any other the numerous nations all in and around the promised land. It was specifically aimed at the children of Israel for the PURPOSE of setting them apart, to be a peculiar people, and a nation of priests.

As you can also see in the above verses, the requirement was laid down, and the promised reward for obedience offered. Therefore the Mosaic Law itself clearly targeting specifically the "house of Jacob." Any other interpretation that is thrown into the wording as an eisegetical addition to the text what clearly is not there, that's a level of intellectual dishonesty that tricks others into thinking a theology whereby one is left with the equation of:

This is absolutely a false narrative. Most of the Torah followers will deny that equation, claiming that salvation comes only through Christ, and that is indeed the truth. The half truth mixture happens when add the element of the Mosaic Law into the mix. They never want to admit that their teaching of NOT obeying the Mosaic Law is allegedly akin to disobedience, which then nullifies salvation.

Folks, let's keep this simple and consistent with the scriptures, shall we? The biblical definition for "disobedience" in any biblical context, where morality is concerned, is this:

1 Timothy 1:8-11
8 But we know that the (Mosaic) law [is] good, if a man use it lawfully;
9 Knowing this, that the (Mosaic) law is not made for a righteous man, but for the lawless and disobedient, for the ungodly and for sinners, for unholy and profane, for murderers of fathers and murderers of mothers, for manslayers,
10 For whoremongers, for them that defile themselves with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and if there be any other thing that is contrary to sound doctrine;
11 According to the glorious gospel of the blessed God, which was committed to my trust.

Those who practice such things are not going to inherit the Kingdom of God.

Therefore:

That is the inevitable outflow of that doctrine.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11
9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
11 And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.

I added (Mosaic) in the 1 Timothy quotes above because the Greek word 'nomos' is a reference to, in this context and grammatical application, the Mosaic Law. Notice that Paul mentioned specific items of sin, which are outlawed in the Mosaic Law, and therefore defined as sins. Nowhere is any other element of the Mosaic Law upheld in this context as binding upon anyone, but that the disobedient are those who are among the guilty perpetrators of these violations of God's moral absolutes.

So, the problem rests in declaring as disobedient all others who do not adhere to the rest of the Mosaic Law that is nowhere commanded of Gentile believers anywhere in the Gospels nor the epistles. The accusers do the Michael Jackson side-slip when their own guilt is pointed out tot them for not offering up burnt sacrifices and many other of the 613 laws outlined in the Mosaic Law. Their thinking is that those things that cannot be lived out due to the lack of a temple and priesthood is ample reason for remaining free from the accusation of disobedience. What they miss is that, had it been the Lord's will for adherence to such things, the Lord would have already provided for a way to live that law in obedience.

Hebrews 7:12 For the priesthood being changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law.

Notice the wording that says a change "...OF the Law," not IN the Law. Christ, being our High Priest, was not of the tribe of Levi, so there obviously was indeed a change in the priesthood, which has led to a change in the Law.

Jeremiah 31:31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah:

Again, if the Gentiles were also bound to the Mosaic Law, then they too would have been of mention in this prophesy, but it is completely silent toward any inclusion of Gentile believers or otherwise.

Hebrews 8:8, 13
8 For finding fault with them, he saith, Behold, the days come, saith the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and with the house of Judah: ...
13 In that he saith, A new [covenant], he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old [is] ready to vanish away.

Hebrews 12:24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than [that of] Abel.

Any and all gyrations and wiggling to try and squirm out from under the enormous weight of what this is actually saying is a wasted effort. It is futile. It irritates legalists to no end having to admit the Mosaic Law is confined within the constraints of a covenant, which was violated almost from day one, given the stiff-necked disobedience that characterized the Israelites.

The Mosaic Law was a covenant established with the 'house of Jacob," not all the rest of the nations of the world. Exodus 19 verses quoted above bear that out in clear and unmistakable language.

Now, granted, there is a foundational, timeless and borderless Law of God upon which ALL the various covenants of Law have been built, which includes the laws, statutes and commands Abraham obeyed, as stated in Genesis 26, the Mosaic Law, and the New Covenant Laws and commands established by Christ. What Abraham was given to obey, they are gone. The Mosaic Law is gone, and we now have the New Covenant, all of which are derived from God's Law. The main difference is that the Mosaic Law had many things added to them by the Lord to govern culture, diet, sin COVERING, and observances, which are not timeless elements that carry with them any moral implications outside of the people at whom they were aimed, and that the people themselves agreed that they would obey, and didn't.

So, what are your thoughts?

MM

I agree. Excellent topic MM!!!!!!!!!!

Most of us have been in church a long time. That being the case you have probably heard about "Mixed Grace" sermons in one of two ways........

1. “You are saved by grace but you maintain your position through right-living,” is an example of a mixed-grace message.

2. “God gives you grace so that you can keep his commands,” is another.

BOTH ARE FALSE! MM is 100% correct. It is GRACE or it is not.

Any mixed-grace message can be recognized by the presence of carrots and sticks. Carrots are the blessings you get for obedience; sticks are the penalties you pay for disobedience.

The mixed-grace message offers the following carrots:

1. If you confess, you’ll be forgiven
2. If you do right, you’ll be accepted
3. If you act holy, you’ll be holy

Fail to perform according to prevailing codes of conduct and you’ll lose your forgiveness, you’ll lose your fellowship, and, if worse comes to worse, you may lose your salvation. None of those sounds like Good News to me!!!!!!

tragically this is the sort of message that millions of people hear every week. They don’t hear about Jesus; they hear about the carrots and sticks.

Bite into any mixed-grace message and you will taste a bitter fruit.

You will feel the pressure to perform and smell the fear that comes with failure.

You’ll make promises to God and then you’ll break them.

You’ll resolve to try harder only to fail again and again.

You’ll become burned out and bummed out.

Since a mixed-grace message puts the emphasis on you and what you have done, your identity will become defined by your productivity. You will start to think of yourself as God's instead of his beloved son or daughter.

You may have heard that God gives us grace in order to do good works, but this is misleading. God does not give you grace so that you can work. He gives you grace because he loves you. Period.

Those who receive from the abundance of God's grace do indeed work and often they work harder than anyone else, but that’s neither here nor there.

Thanks brother MM for the post!!!!!!

Yup…one version of many works based salvation. This one is indeed growing and I think the internet is a large part in its growth. Adherants show up all over. Dangerous, indeed.

Sabbath keeping
You mean like every Sunday off work?
Some of us have to work all days and nights so I think my career ( nursing) forbids it anyway.
But to be fair, most of the staff would love to have every Sunday off. I hate it because Sundays usually sees crowded places

Praise unto the Lord that we have His truths available to us.
I agree. Excellent topic MM!!!!!!!!!!

Most of us have been in church a long time. That being the case you have probably heard about "Mixed Grace" sermons in one of two ways........

1. “You are saved by grace but you maintain your position through right-living,” is an example of a mixed-grace message.

2. “God gives you grace so that you can keep his commands,” is another.

BOTH ARE FALSE! MM is 100% correct. It is GRACE or it is not.

Any mixed-grace message can be recognized by the presence of carrots and sticks. Carrots are the blessings you get for obedience; sticks are the penalties you pay for disobedience.

The mixed-grace message offers the following carrots:

1. If you confess, you’ll be forgiven
2. If you do right, you’ll be accepted
3. If you act holy, you’ll be holy

Fail to perform according to prevailing codes of conduct and you’ll lose your forgiveness, you’ll lose your fellowship, and, if worse comes to worse, you may lose your salvation. None of those sounds like Good News to me!!!!!!

tragically this is the sort of message that millions of people hear every week. They don’t hear about Jesus; they hear about the carrots and sticks.

Bite into any mixed-grace message and you will taste a bitter fruit.

You will feel the pressure to perform and smell the fear that comes with failure.

You’ll make promises to God and then you’ll break them.

You’ll resolve to try harder only to fail again and again.

You’ll become burned out and bummed out.

Since a mixed-grace message puts the emphasis on you and what you have done, your identity will become defined by your productivity. You will start to think of yourself as God's instead of his beloved son or daughter.

You may have heard that God gives us grace in order to do good works, but this is misleading. God does not give you grace so that you can work. He gives you grace because he loves you. Period.

Those who receive from the abundance of God's grace do indeed work and often they work harder than anyone else, but that’s neither here nor there.

Thanks brother MM for the post!!!!!!

Praise be unto the Lord for having given to us His truths in clear language, and for great men such as Dr. Solberg who dares to dig deep into THE main website to which most of the Torah-ist followers subscribe. That site put out a book that Dr. Solberg addresses in the following video...at least, three of the many problems in their only known central core source.

False teachings almost always are akin to the wolf wearing sheep's clothing to mask the reality. Falsehoods often require digging deep into the claims, and digging even deeper into the Hebrew and Greek of the Bible. This book was written by a number of authors who refuse to identify themselves, just like the Jehovah's Witnesses writings. In 119 Ministry videos, the talking faces don't give their last names, and therefore being accountable to their followers and to those who try to bring them to accountability for falsehoods.

The above videos above are just a couple of examples of the foundations for this movement. Here is the nationwide map of the membership of that website that I had posted in another thread, but is important to show once again: The blue dots are individuals, and the red flags are organized groups who subscribe to these falsehoods. This provides a graphic example of how prolific this movement is.

It's therefore my opinion that this is but one of many elements in the final turning away that scripture speaks about at the beginning of the end of days for this earth before the final seven years of horror are set into motion. The lamps of many are empty of the oil the five wise virgins had in theirs. Remember what happens to the foolish five that went out to buy oil during the time that the Bridegroom arrived, and entered into the wedding feast with the five wise virgins that brought oil with them.

The followers of this warped, theological train wreck would say that it is the rest of us who do not bind ourselves to the Mosaic Law observances and obedience who are the ones who will be left outside.

So, in answer to some questions that perhaps some of you may be asking in your minds, how do we know which way is the RIGHT way. Is this a matter of making a random choice, or can one know without question where the truth rests. Well, that's what is so wonderful about the word of God and men such as Dr. Solberg. 1 John 2:27 gives to us the bottom line to it all. Holy Spirit is your ultimate and final authority guide. It's not me, and it's not Dr. Solberg or 119 Ministries or any other cult. It's between you and your Lord who will ALWAYS guide you so long as you ask of Him with a sincere and honestly seeking heart with an openness to accept what He willingly gives to all who ask.

Don't just take my word for it. Call upon the name of the Lord, and ask Him if you think yourself unqualified to verify it all for yourself. In this way, none will have any excuse before the Lord for not knowing. Those who don't ask, will be held just as responsible as all the rest.

Ask, and He will answer, and give to you the peace that is in His absolute truth. 119 Ministries and other groupings are teaching their followers that the NT scriptures are untrustworthy, and therefore corrupted through the centuries. Folks, this is the same nonsense the Mormons teach their followers.

The OT writings are older than the NT writings, and yet more trustworthy? Really? How did that happen? Folks, the intellectual dishonesty behind ALL of legalism, no matter how old the teachings along that line, and how many followers those systems of thought may have, we ALL have absolute truth available to us simply by asking the Source for revelation of His absolute truth. We aren't all sitting our here, floundering around in dark ignorance, hoping to some day stumble upon the truth. You can KNOW the truth TODAY by simply asking. It may be a process of revelation, or it may be a sudden validation in your heart and mind. It's up to your Lord as how He leads you to HIS truths.

Just trust in Him.

USMap.GIF

Oh, and the name that mainly characterizes that movement's identity has been trademarked, therefore another reason for my not mentioning them by that name.

Oh, and the name that mainly characterizes that movement's identity has been trademarked, therefore another reason for my not mentioning them by that name.
You can identify a group by name even if they trade mark the name provided that you're not doing it for commercial purposes. For example, I love Kelloggs Raisin Bran for breakfast. Kelloggs Raisin Bran is trade marked, but I used it according to fair use rules.

God made the Sabbath for us. Not us for the Sabbath. I have no problem with folks who keep the Sabbath. Given Sunday is a Roman pagan day of worship.

Ask for the feast days and the rest, Christians know those don't save. Rather if the practice makes them feel closer to God there's no harm.

Jesus reiterated the 10 moral commands. Including the Sabbath being that was God's gift, just as is our rest in Christ.

I believe it's a relationship not a religion.

You can identify a group by name even if they trade mark the name provided that you're not doing it for commercial purposes. For example, I love Kelloggs Raisin Bran for breakfast. Kelloggs Raisin Bran is trade marked, but I used it according to fair use rules.

Well, I didn't want to give that group notoriety that's not worth mentioning since it is a cultic society that conveys false doctrines to many, many professing believers.

MM

Back