So....what's for supper tonight?

So....what's for supper tonight?

Here it's chicken tonight!

(I just love chicken)

I just lopped the head off of a plump white and grey fryer, all plucked and ready to go.

The Mrs. is making what we call "Yummy Taters". it's a mix of home fries, with cheese, sour cream, and some other stuff she puts in. Very delicious.

We have some corn on the cob from the garden, and strawberries with Cool Whip for desert.

The kids are making butter with the cream they skimmed off of this evenings milk. (I just live for fresh butter) They will add some honey, and we will clump it over the corn bread.

Anyhow, that's what's fer diner around here tonight.

....... (great to see you Violet!)

Tonight, I did my own take on a meal we ate at Johnny Carrinos which is an Italian restaurant. My version tasted better!:D Here it is:

Salmon steaks and angel hair pasta with onions, shallots, garlic, fresh spinach and black and green olives. Just cook the pasta ( I bought a tomato and basil angel hair organic pasta to try with this! It was really good!) and set aside. Put some olive oil in a pan, let it heat up on med-high. In the mean time season the salmon steaks with salt, pepper, dried parsley and dill and rub in a little olive oil. Cook in the hot oil for about 4 minutes on each side, starting skin side down. Take the salmon out of the pan and set aside. Add a couple tbsp olive oil to the pan then cook the onion and shallots until translucent, add the spinach and cook until it wilts a little then add 1/2 cup white wine, the garlic and the olives and cook until the wine is cooked down. Add the pasta and mix together until well incorporated. Turn the heat off and add some fresh, chopped parsley and basil. I want to note that I only slightly salted the onions and shallots because the olives are naturally very salty. Serve with the fish and some hot garlic bread! Yummo!

Laura:)

We went out to eat at a buffet... Had cod fish, cream of corn, Navy bean soup, avocado, cottage cheese and sugarless lemon meringe pie...

(I just love chicken)

I just lopped the head off of a plump white and grey fryer, all plucked and ready to go.

The Mrs. is making what we call "Yummy Taters". it's a mix of home fries, with cheese, sour cream, and some other stuff she puts in. Very delicious.

We have some corn on the cob from the garden, and strawberries with Cool Whip for desert.

The kids are making butter with the cream they skimmed off of this evenings milk. (I just live for fresh butter) They will add some honey, and we will clump it over the corn bread.

Awww, now how are we supposed to compete with that? Reminds me of growing up on the farm.

Friends, please don't think me vain, but I LOVE to cook and I think I've outdone myself tonight. I bought a lb of fresh shrimp last night (about 16 to 18 to a pound, so fairly big) with the intention of putting it that pasta dish I made last night. Well, I forgot, so because shrimp doesn't last forever, I decided to make it tonight! Are you ready for this? Here's what you need:

1 lb shrimp, cleaned, devained and cut in about 3 pieces per shrimp
6 large white cap mushrooms, sliced
1 leek stock, finely chopped
6 large garlic cloves, minced
2 shallots, finely chopped
about 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup white wine
about 4 tbsp peccorino Romano cheese, freshly grated
About a hand full of fresh parsley and basil, finely chopped
Olive oil
Butter

You will also need 1 cup Basmati brown rice cooked according to the directions on the package

OK, here we go. Cook the rice and set aside.

In a large saucepan add about 1 tbsp of butter and olive oil each and cook the sliced mushrooms until browned. Salt the mushrooms then take them out of the pan and set them aside. In the same pan add 2 additional tbsp of olive oil, then add the shallots and cook until translucent. Add the leaks, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes and cook for about 2 more minutes. Add the garlic, green onions and wine and cook together until the wine starts evaporating. Then add the shrimp and only cook an additional 3 minutes, then take off the heat and add in 3/4 of the fresh herbs and 2 tbsp of the grated cheese.

To flavor the rice, add to the cooked rice 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp of the grated cheese and the rest of the fresh herbs. Serve the shrimp over the rice. Enjoy!

PopEyes fried chicken, redbeans and rice.

I love Popeyes, for the longest time we didn't have any in the NW. Now they have one in Portland which is only like an hour away. I have pta tonight so my son and I will grab a snack before and then have a late night dinner, whatever I can cook up quick...

Hey today is KFC "s , what we call " Toonie Tues. " so am going to pick up some chicken for me .

For those who don't know "Toonie" is what we call our $2.00 coin.

The one dollar coin is a" Loonie" and that explains why we are all crazy.... north of the border... LOL.... It's the snow that got into our heads. He He .

Actually it started that way because the $1.00 coin has a picture of a lune on it.

(I just love chicken)

Thank you and it's great reading about your mouth watering food!!! :)

Friends, please don't think me vain, but I LOVE to cook and I think I've outdone myself tonight. I bought a lb of fresh shrimp last night (about 16 to 18 to a pound, so fairly big) with the intention of putting it that pasta dish I made last night. Well, I forgot, so because shrimp doesn't last forever, I decided to make it tonight! Are you ready for this? Here's what you need:

1 lb shrimp, cleaned, devained and cut in about 3 pieces per shrimp
6 large white cap mushrooms, sliced
1 leek stock, finely chopped
6 large garlic cloves, minced
2 shallots, finely chopped
about 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, packed in olive oil, chopped
1 bunch green onions, chopped
1 cup white wine
about 4 tbsp peccorino Romano cheese, freshly grated
About a hand full of fresh parsley and basil, finely chopped
Olive oil
Butter

You will also need 1 cup Basmati brown rice cooked according to the directions on the package

OK, here we go. Cook the rice and set aside.

In a large saucepan add about 1 tbsp of butter and olive oil each and cook the sliced mushrooms until browned. Salt the mushrooms then take them out of the pan and set them aside. In the same pan add 2 additional tbsp of olive oil, then add the shallots and cook until translucent. Add the leaks, mushrooms, and sun-dried tomatoes and cook for about 2 more minutes. Add the garlic, green onions and wine and cook together until the wine starts evaporating. Then add the shrimp and only cook an additional 3 minutes, then take off the heat and add in 3/4 of the fresh herbs and 2 tbsp of the grated cheese.

To flavor the rice, add to the cooked rice 1 tbsp olive oil, 1 tbsp butter, 2 tbsp of the grated cheese and the rest of the fresh herbs. Serve the shrimp over the rice. Enjoy!

I would LOVE this!!!

Hey today is KFC "s , what we call " Toonie Tues. " so am going to pick up some chicken for me .

For those who don't know "Toonie" is what we call our $2.00 coin.

The one dollar coin is a" Loonie" and that explains why we are all crazy.... north of the border... LOL.... It's the snow that got into our heads. He He .

Actually it started that way because the $1.00 coin has a picture of a lune on it.

I hate to admit this but I love KFC!
I like that new bowl they have too!

Tonight we're having something a little on the lighter side! Halibut pockets with white rice cooked with spinach, peas and artichokes. Very yummy and lighter that usual!

It's easy:

Just cut up 2 (or however mouths you have to feed:D) fairly large squares of aluminum foil, spray with nonstick cooking spray then place the halibut filet in the middle. Season one side with salt and pepper, then turn, season the other side, rub with a little olive oil then place on top of the fillet as follows: 3 thin slices of butter, thinly sliced shallots, 3 large fresh basil leafs and on top of all that 2 large, thinly sliced lemon slices. Close the pockets tightly, then bake at 375 for about 20 to 25 minutes depending upon the size of the fillet! For the rice just heat 1 tbsp each olive oil and butter, then add some shallots and cook for about 2 minutes, add the rice and cook together for another couple of minutes then add some white wine and let the wine evaporate. Add the amount of chicken broth according to the measurements on the package, then add some chopped spinach, chopped defrosted artichoke heart and a few peas and cook together according to the dirrections on the package! Enjoy!

P.S. What are you guys having tonight?

We sometimes have Tilapia here at the Rectory. Last evening I tried baked Tilapia and tried a new sauce to bake the fillets in...

For each two filets, use:

1/4 cup margarine or butter, 3 tablespoons of unsweetened orange juice, 3 tablespoons of finely chopped onion, a pinch of garlic salt and a sprinkle of parsley flakes. Heat and stir this mixture until the margarine is liquified and cover the bottom of a baking dish with the sauce. Lay in the Tilapia fillets and apply additional sauce to the top of the fillets as well as a sprinkle of finely grated cheddar cheese. Bake in the covered baking dish at 325 for 45 minutes. Serve with mashed potatoes with additional parsley flakes and a side of long cut asparagus.

For those who missed the Tilapia connection from Scripture, the author of this article below has written a nice commentary on the fish.

[COPYRIGHT © NOTE: The linked article below has a public Domain Copyright Waiver and can be used in accordance with that posted copyright message. This link is provided for educational purposes only regarding Tilapia. CFS does not necessarilly endorse or support any other content or links on that page.]

http://www.keyway.ca/htm2002/20020616.htm

On the weekends I do all the cooking. Today is spaghetti. Since I can't eat ready made sauces in jars, because of the sugar content, I make my own. I measure everything by eye, so I'll just list the ingredients.

2 kg of beef, freshly ground
tomato paste
canned chopped tomatoes
freshly cut garlic
chopped onions
salt
oregeno
small amount of cury
small amount of freshly ground red pepper
cayenne pepper
bell pepper seasoning
very small amount of cumin
good red wine

1 kg of whole wheat spaghetti noodles

I know that may sound like to much pepper, but it isn't. If you use the cayenne pepper instead of normal black pepper and the fresh ground red pepper in very small amounts then you will get a very mild spicy taste. I fry the onions and spices in olive oil. When the onions are just a little soft then I add the beef. After mixing the onions, spices and beef together I cover the pot and let them simmer over medium heat until the beef is no longer red. Then I take a large soup ladle and remove most of the fluids in the pot. After the fatty fluids are removed I add the red wine, stirring it into the beef. I then let the mix simmer for about another 10 minutes to let the wine cook into the beef. Remember you have to ad enough spices before you add the tomatoes and tomato paste. If you add too little the paste will cancel out the flavors. Be sure to drain all the water from the canned chopped tomatoes. After you have added the Tomatoes and paste, pour in a small amount of fruit sugar. Be very careful with this because as with too much salt too much sugar will ruin the sauce. It is always better to pour little amounts and then test it, but only test the sauce before cooking it. It is hard to judge the amounts of sugar when the suace is hot. After you've added all the ingredients together, let the pot simmer for about another 20 minutes or so. Now all you have to do is boil the noodles and you are set to go.

Back