Isaiah 53 - Jesus or Israel?

I understand that men were always justified by faith, but in Jeremiah God is promising a better/new Covenant where He writes His law on their hearts (new nature?/new birth).

Yes, and to them, that better and new covenant and Law to be written in men's hearts was future...far beyond their earthly lives. They were left with having to be content with the Mosaic Law as it was, until its fulfillment in Christ Jesus. Some out there mistakenly believe that the Lord promising the Mosaic Law to be written in our hearts, and that is a gross misrepresentation of what's actually written.

MM

So I guess this all points to the fact that OT saints were not yet born again, as Jesus had not been raised from the dead.
I would say YES and NO!

"IF" they had not been changed spiritually from dead to alive then they would not have been in Paradise "waiting" of the resurrection.....
Right?

Therefore, since the Old Testament believers were promised entry into the Kingdom, I think that I can safely say that all Old Testament saints were “born again” in this way, because otherwise they could not see the Kingdom.

The physically dead before the cross were held in captivity because they could not enter into Paradise until after their full and complete redemption was fulfilled at the cross. This part you may know very well, so I won't belabor the point.

So, some questions can come up about what comes after the cross for them. I'm sure we can agree that they are now, although not before, in paradise with Christ. They do not yet have their glorified bodies, but will receive those immediately before the rest of those who are alive at the point of the rapture, since we are told that the dead in Christ rise first, and then the living at the point of the rapture.

Given that the Lord declared to us in His word that one must be born again to enter into the Kingdom of God, it follows that the OT saints received their new birth at the point of the cross. I'm not saying that's a hard core fact, but it seems that their final and complete redemption was at or after the Jesus declared "It is finished."

Bottom line, of course, is that no matter when they were born again, we are going to one day be gathered up with them in the clouds with Christ, and to be with Him thereafter for eternity.

There may be some out there who think they know exactly when the new birth of the OT saints took place, and I won't take issue with them since we are not told that sliver of information...possibly because the Lord might say to us, "What is that to you. You go and be about My business."

I'm thankful for the Lord's correction, because I need it so much of the time. The hinges and latch on the wood shed are pretty much worn out because of me. I'm just thankful the Lord is patient with those such as myself.

MM
That is what I said as well!

My point is that "IF" they were not born again then they would NOT be in waiting in Paradise!

I also think it depends on what we call the meaning of "Born Again" is.

Jesus said no one may see the Kingdom unless that person is “born again” spiritually. To be born again means to have been given a new spirit through faith in the Messiah.

Back