fruit of repentance

Matthew 3:8 Therefore bear fruits worthy of repentance,

so in a nut shell john the Baptist is setting the Pharisees and Sadducees straight. you know the Religious crowd he tells them lets see some evidence of repentance a changed life. does our Christian life resemble . the fruit of the spirit? love joy peace longsuffering . gentleness goodness faith meekness temperance john 15 we are to bear fruit much fruit and our fruit is to remain. so as the word says let a man examine himself if he is in faith. BTW we are fruit bearers not fruit inspectors , even though we are told a tree is known by its fruits it bears

Luke 6:43-45

New King James Version

A Tree Is Known by Its Fruit​

43 “For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. 45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil [a]treasure of his heart brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks.

so next time we speak a word out of anger Check our fruit ,, for those with shiny halos who see no evil says no evil and speaks no evil. only one way that is walk in the spirit.. just another 2 cents for thoughts

Hello forgiven;

I'm blessed you presented this thread, fruit of repentance

Fruit of repentance or fruit of the spirit is not easy and I have preached on this subject many times. Personally, I'm still a work in progress.

Christians strive to be known by it's fruit or being in obedience to repent. God understands us because it's our nature to have a sense of
character accomplishment. It's good to do a self check but it's even better for God to reveal our fruit seen by others. This way the Lord gets all the glory.

When we spend more time recognizing the fruit in others we will see what's good fruit and what isn't. It becomes not so much about us but more of having compassion on the welfare of others. At the same time we learn from it so we don't fall into the traps of the world.

The world has a different standard of fruit. It's usually about self gratification. The more self gratification, righteousness and gain, the more fruit. This can lead to unreasonable anger when things fall short with self yet leaving the shiny halo in tact. Not good.

The Scriptures you share are indeed God's Word, however, God is not a cookie cutter God. Each man and woman of God is uniquely different in their pace, understanding and disciple growth of the fruit of the spirit. But with God we all can get there, in His time.

Any other thoughts?

God bless you, forgiven, and thank you for sharing this.

Personally, I'm still a work in progress.
we are all a W.I.P in fact it never stops the fruit of the spirit is produced by abiding in the vine. one could say its part of our sanctification which is a 3 step process. 1. positional when we are born again we are placed into the body of Christ aka the true vine. we start getting our nutrients from the true vine abiding. this is why he says in john 15 with out me ye can do nothing. 2. progressive we start growing just like the grapes on the vine baby grapes then bigger grapes soon to be ripe . which is a process of time. 3. ultimate /finial we made it home the grapes are ripe they been harvested .

last Sunday i used math 3:8 in the message ended up on the works of the flesh . these are characteristics of the lost. the Fruit of the spirit is Characteristics of the spirit filled life. this sunday i will go back cover ground work i laid last sunday only i will add more material more in line of fruit bearing , if we are not bearing ANY FRUIT its because we have no root . not as saved as we think .

todays world you ask are you saved 75-80 % will say yes. i have a nephew who is a preacher went seen a guy he use to work with. talked with him ended up in gal 5 . as he named off each of the fruit of the spirit asking do you have this in your life. long story short he understood the need for salvation , called upon the Lord got things right immediately started bearing fruit.. im guessing him and his wife was divorced separated i do not know.. but he sent her a message apologizing for all the things he done .

we only get to plow plant seed and water God gives the increase . i really wish folks would just hell out the corn and say im just old sinner that was called out of the darkness into the marvelous light stop pretending were superman when were not and just say yes i need Jesus like Charles Johnson and the revivers sang i cant even walk with out you holding my hand down on my knees i learned to stand .

weather permitting sunday night we go see jeff sherri easter 👍🙌

It's good to do a self check but it's even better for God to reveal our fruit seen by others. This way the Lord gets all the glory.

Yes self checking can be deceptive.
I don’t know how many times I have deceived my self by self congratulation or self condemning myself after something I have done and it turned out to be just a lie from the devil to keep me stuck.

Other people though, can sometimes go along with your lie for an easy life or out of fear of repercussions but Christians should be able to let us know when we are hurtful and say something and sometimes help us change for the better.

Good thread😇

here is a example of no fruit

A Professing Christian Justifies Her Adultery
Oprah Winfrey had a program with women who were having affairs with married men. When the women were challenged on the morality of their adultery, one woman said, “Wait a minute. I’m a Christian, but I want everyone to know that my personal life and my religion don’t interfere with one another. I believe in a God who wants me to be happy. And if this man makes me happy, then God approves of the relationship.” To the human mind it is reasonable that the most important concern of God is for you to be happy.
In contrast to these views is the preaching of the cross (1 Corinthians 1:23)
From a sermon by Ed Sasnett, Nothing to Add, 6/2/2010

I don’t know how many times I have deceived my self by self congratulation or self condemning myself after something I have done and it turned out to be just a lie from the devil to keep me stuck.

Other people though, can sometimes go along with your lie for an easy life or out of fear of repercussions but Christians should be able to let us know when we are hurtful and say something and sometimes help us change for the better.

Good thread😇
Isaiah 30:10-11............
10 They say to the seers,
“See no more visions!”
and to the prophets,
“Give us no more visions of what is right!
Tell us pleasant things,
prophesy illusions.
11 Leave this way,
get off this path,
and stop confronting us
with the Holy One of Israel!”

We like to be told lies!

Good thread😇
scripture say

1 Corinthians 11:28-​

King James Version​

28 But let a man examine himself, and so let him eat of that bread, and drink of that cup.

this is what psalms says

Psalm 139:23-24​

King James Version​

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart: try me, and know my thoughts:
24 And see if there be any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.

see you have the spirit of truth living in you.. the Holy spirit convicts us when we go astray He will chastise us till we repent and get back in fellowship
we ve all done that not so much you deceived your self.. we are our own worst critic . i am guilty of it after i preach.. my wife will say it was just fine... we like to perfect ourselves.

in some ways it can be good unless you get down to the point of giving up. we examine ours elf with teh Holy spirit the still small voice

Good thread😇
As Charles Spurgeon once said,........
“Any practice that detracts from faith is an evil practice, but especially that kind of self-examination which would take us away from the foot of the cross, proceeds in a wrong direction.”

I am familiar with this evil — the self-examination that lessens faith and leads away from the foot of the cross.

J. Vernon MaGee in his "Through The Bible Series" wrote..........
"self-examination can be tiring and fruitless. It can be likened to a blind man, in a room painted black trying to find a black cat. He can’t see what is there because the room is pitch black. This darkness is the reason looking at ourselves is often so unfruitful."

So.......How do we brighten the room?

Get our focus off of by going to the window and open the curtains. Let the light of Christ break into the darkness of your soul. Go to the Word of God and hear the voice of the Lord, and experience the flood of divine light pouring into your mind with clarity and comfort. The sunlight of the gospel of grace provides the necessary atmosphere for healthy self-examination.

I suggest Romans 12:2.........
" And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God."
Now we can say that we must "follow the Will of God" or that "I preached a sermon"...or "I was once in a prayer meeting with a group of pastors". All of that means NOTHING!

Those are "in-ward" looking feelings and hollow words which in the end lead to hollow and self absorbed believers.
Only by looking out-ward to Christ and In his death and resurrection, will our and purpose come into focus.
We can then see how precious and honored we are in God’s sight, the seriousness of our sin, the glory of our new identity, and the future we have in Christ because we will be RE-NEWED in our minds!!!

Now it makes perfect sense when verse 2 says that, in order for that to happen, our minds must be renewed.

Why?

Because our minds are not by nature God-worshiping minds. They are by nature self-worshiping minds polluted by SIN! That is the spirit of our minds.

we can deceive our self yes if we fail to listen to the Holy Spirit. it dont take a rocket scientist to figure out our error walk in the spirit be aware when the Holy spirit shows you error. there is nothing wrong with self examination if done with the Holy Spirit.

we can deceive our self yes if we fail to listen to the Holy Spirit. it dont take a rocket scientist to figure out our error walk in the spirit be aware when the Holy spirit shows you error. there is nothing wrong with self examination if done with the Holy Spirit.

Hello forgiven;

I was asked, "does God know our efforts and sacrifice from our hearts?" I answered him and her, yes. I believe when others see our efforts and sacrifice it is part of exposing the fruit because we are choosing to follow and be in obedience to God.

Luke 9:23, 23 And he said to all, “If anyone would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow me. - ESV

Your thoughts, brother?

"does God know our efforts and sacrifice from our hearts?"
ABSOULETLY he is all knowing he is the one who has designed us. he knows our downfalls . I the LORD search the heart, I try the reins, even to give every man according to his ways, and according to the fruit of his doings. Jeremiah 17:10 in reference to self examination yes if we are the one doing it.. we can convince our selves we are in the wrong . But in Galatians I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.

i ran across this ARTICLE ... Believers have the indwelling Spirit of Christ, the Comforter who proceeds from the Father (John 15:26). The Holy Spirit assists believers in prayer (Jude 1:20) and “intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God” (Romans 8:27). He also leads the believer into righteousness (Galatians 5:16–18) and produces His fruit in those yielded to Him (Galatians 5:22–23). Believers are to submit to the will of God and walk in the Spirit. so if Your saved you have the presence of the Holy spirit . so if we listen to HIM.. we cant go wrong

Back