Do Christians Have To Follow The Old Testament?

Some people say God doesn't need us to follow those laws anymore but I don't understand why God would change his mind. Would someone be so kind and enlighten me, thank you in advance.

Some people say God doesn't need us to follow those laws anymore but I don't understand why God would change his mind. Would someone be so kind and enlighten me, thank you in advance.

To begin, God wouldn't change His mind as God is unchangeable. In fact, there are some things God is incapable of -- He cannot be both logical and illogical. He cannot NOT exist. And because He is all-perfect, He cannot change.

Mosaic law, things like wearing certain clothing and not eating certain foods, were given directly to the nation of Israel. But it wasn't strictly things like this -- it was a predecessor for the bearing of Christ, who fulfilled the New Covenant. We are still bound by divine law, but not Mosaic law.

God didn't want man to accept His Law... this can be seen from the time they left Egypt to Mt. Sinai no one was feeble (Psalms 105:37) and no one died - at least it wasn't recorded. Once they heard the Law and it's punishments they gladly, and arrogantly, accepted it and when Moses went up to get the tablets, they broke the first commandment and 3000 died, Exodus 32:28. Now, what did God want? He wanted them to accept His grace and so when Jesus returned to heaven and the Holy Spirit came, 3000 were saved, Acts 2:41. God always wants His grace to abound, but at a price: He gets all and absolute credit for it. God doesn't change His mind, only allows man an opportunity to allow Him to do His work in that moment. Every word of God is precious and has a intended meaning to the reader and that is to point them to Jesus, always. The scriptures are just a road map to Jesus, from the reader's starting point! Just a thought :)

So God used to care if you worked on the Sabbath day and would tell people to kill anyone who worked on the Sabbath day but then once God sent Jesus people weren't supposed to kill each other on the Sabbath day anymore? So if you worked on the Sabbath before Jesus died then you would be stoned to death, but if you worked on the Sabbath after Jesus died then you can live a long life?

So God used to care if you worked on the Sabbath day and would tell people to kill anyone who worked on the Sabbath day but then once God sent Jesus people weren't supposed to kill each other on the Sabbath day anymore? So if you worked on the Sabbath before Jesus died then you would be stoned to death, but if you worked on the Sabbath after Jesus died then you can live a long life?

Where did you get that concept?

The bible says to kill anybody who works on the Sabbath day, but the two helpful forum members said we don't have to follow that law anymore because Jesus fulfilled the new covenant. So that means before Jesus fulfilled the covenant we had to kill people who worked on the Sabbath, but once Jesus fulfilled the new covenant we don't kill people working on the Sabbath anymore.

I don't understand either what you're getting at, but there are reasons for God's direction. In the 1300's the Jews didn't get bubonic plague because they washed their hands, clothes and houses, per the scriptures. Does that mean God killed the rest? Not at all. God said here's My law do you accept and they said yes when they should have said, no, we cannot keep it. Jesus proved this when dealing with the pharisees by saying if you look upon a woman with lust you've committed adultery. Jesus elevated the position of the Law (perfection demanded) so they could realize they couldn't keep the Law and seek His grace, and truth.

The bible says to kill anybody who works on the Sabbath day, but the two helpful forum members said we don't have to follow that law anymore because Jesus fulfilled the new covenant. So that means before Jesus fulfilled the covenant we had to kill people who worked on the Sabbath, but once Jesus fulfilled the new covenant we don't kill people working on the Sabbath anymore.
Indeed:

Romans 7:6 (KJV)
But now we are delivered from the law, that being dead wherein we were held; that we should serve in newness of spirit, and not [in] the oldness of the letter.

Read all of Romans if you want to understand the OT... I'm off to bed so I won't reply until morning if you still have questions.

Which verse says to kill anyone who works on the sabbath?

I know the laws were important for a good reason.

But imagine if Bob works on the Sabbath the Saturday before Jesus died, then Bob should be stoned to death according to God.
If Steve works on the Sabbath day on the Saturday when Jesus is crucified, then Steve should live a long life.

What lesson are we learning when we kill Bob with stones but let Steve live?

Which verse says to kill anyone who works on the sabbath?
The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

The LORD then gave these further instructions to Moses: 'Tell the people of Israel to keep my Sabbath day, for the Sabbath is a sign of the covenant between me and you forever. It helps you to remember that I am the LORD, who makes you holy. Yes, keep the Sabbath day, for it is holy. Anyone who desecrates it must die; anyone who works on that day will be cut off from the community. Work six days only, but the seventh day must be a day of total rest. I repeat: Because the LORD considers it a holy day, anyone who works on the Sabbath must be put to death.' (Exodus 31:12-15 NLT)

Very good. Who was this commanded to?

Absolutely. Now granted, it was, in its time, a much more humane means of capital punishment, but I don't even agree with capital punishment.

Who commanded this and when was it commanded?
You think killing somebody for working on a Saturday is humane?
Would you participate in killing somebody for working on a Saturday if you lived 3,000 years ago?
God commanded this millenia ago.

I know the laws were important for a good reason.

But imagine if Bob works on the Sabbath the Saturday before Jesus died, then Bob should be stoned to death according to God.
If Steve works on the Sabbath day on the Saturday when Jesus is crucified, then Steve should live a long life.

What lesson are we learning when we kill Bob with stones but let Steve live?

You bring an atheist type question whilst knowing scripture and having IQ>10....you conveniently miss the rest of scripture or present any argument 'for' God o_O.

The Jews rejected Jesus and would likely stone both. But according to God, the laws with the Jews was all about a precedent and ...yes...Jesus changed everything Col 2:14. Does that mean someone / anyone died before their time...under the law? Well now you are attempting to play God. God knows the level of rebellion in each of us. God knows that for someone to mock the Sabbath when He commanded it as a 'major' law to be followed and its importance is preached every week... is a major inner rebellion. Who is to say God doesn't send a bus to Steve? You think YOU or I live long if after knowing the truth we continue in mortal sin....?

As for your title, Yes we do need to follow the OT...but WITH the NT...duh? God does NOT waste His time or speak in vein. Everything written is inspired. We must not be like the devil and only take half the bible. As Jesus said to the devil in Matt 4:7 Jesus responded, “The Scriptures also say, ‘You must not test the Lord your God. So you and I can say to the OT law...that scripture also says, the ordinances of the law were nailed to Jesus on the cross. We live in a different dispensation.

To assume this is God showing preference to us now, is simply brain dead reasoning. The worst of sinners OT were only stoned if the council of elders judged it as an extremity / literal / no blur breaking of law. But EVEN then before God, the ''sinner'' who broke the law COULD repent and MAKE right with God. Psalm 51:17 The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God.

You think killing somebody for working on a Saturday is humane?
Would you participate in killing somebody for working on a Saturday if you lived 3,000 years ago?
God commanded this millenia ago.

No, I said I agree that it's wrong. What I said is in its time, in comparison to the ways that the Romans and other groups performed capital punishment, it was humane. I didn't say it was humane itself. In fact, I said I disagree with capital punishment.

What I asked was who commanded this and when was it commanded? More importantly, to whom was it commanded?

Back