Christ's Satisfying Mission

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I think alot about Jesus' mission and each Christian who has a mission assignment. "To go and make disciples" reference Matthew 28:18-20.

For many years I have sought to satisfy (love, effort, time and sacrifice) the mission toward non-believers and struggling believers.

But a couple of questions hit me;

Do I ever think of Jesus satisfying mission in my life?

When we see the true condition of the world, do we see it through His eyes with compassion, or through our own eyes with condemnation?

I'm a disciple (student and follower of Christ) for the remainder of my life on this earth. Many times I do the best I can and other times I fall short. I feel Peter who was a master of knuckleheads and a Rock for Christ understood this in 1 Peter 3:15,

15 But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear;
- NKJV

I confess there are moments I have a condemning heart toward many things about this world we live, whether across the miles or in my own backyard that I don't like. It hit me going into the New Year.

Jesus saw the true condition of the world with compassion, so why can't I? Of course I'm still going to react to the damage of the world and receive the conditions with compassion but this doesn't mean I sugar coat the conditions.

All of us who profess to follow Christ has our work cut out for us and this is not going to be easy. But by expressing myself in prayer more to my Lord with the world's happenings, I know He will guide me through everything as seen through His eyes.

Afterall, Jesus does have an ongoing mission in our lives and is surely with us to the end of the age. This is comforting.

I am interested to learn
your honest thoughts in this topic.

God bless
you and your families.

Hey bobinfaith 😇

Damn I tend to get stuck more in my condemnation more than compassion and hope when it comes to others…that’s my sin nature I guess… a love of drama maybe? Ugh…

Now you mention it, I notice it’s harder some days than others. Most often it’s hardest when I think I’m right. And I get stuck in my rightness and get carried along until someone wakes me up.

Condemnation is not always easy to spot. I can always spot compassion. I tend to only notice when I am condemning others when someone says something at the right time or points it out to me. I must be fertile.I enjoy the humility though because that’s when I know that Jesus is looking out for me and I am His!😇

Normally I’m angry or in a moaning mood and someone comes along and an angel taps me on the shoulder and I take note and wake up.

Usually it’s not done by reading scripture because I can be too closed off but it certainly works through another Christian in love.

Blessings.

We all have our struggles with what we believe should be Christian behaviors. We know what they are, and still fall short.
Maybe someone can learn something from my latest experiences with Christian discrimination among the brethren.
I went to a little whole in the wall dinner here in good ole southern NC, where believe it or not the civil war is still alive and well.
As a Yankee with a New York accent, I sat at a table and was snubbed. Its certainly not my first rodeo in southern Americana.
Thing is the establishment is white, and Christian with references all over the walls. You would think they would act like it.
Well, its not their behavior that needs adjusting, its mine. I do not need to eat there. I do not need to go to such places.
Every eye in the place gave me the look of condemnation, like I did not belong. While they were saying hello to one another,
I was given the evil glances to get the heck out of their restaurant. I was not served, even though I had been there before.
The owner was not there, so the minions did as they pleased and ignored me for 20 minutes.
When I had enough, I thanked them for their service and went to walk out. They called me a b--ch and made fun of my accent.
The waitresses made sure I heard them.

I posted on social media about the bad service, and how it is in Gods hands how He wishes to handle this situation.
It is parts of the Christian community like this that give the unsaved ammunition against us.
Here in the south, establishments like this still exist and are very supremely white. Yes, welcome to redneck America.
I imagine my dark olive skin tone did not help matters any. Thing is the way I handle this is what others will remember.

That is the entire point Im making. The way we handle ourselves is what shall remain as our "mission" in this world, whatever that might be.

We all have our struggles with what we believe should be Christian behaviors. We know what they are, and still fall short.
Maybe someone can learn something from my latest experiences with Christian discrimination among the brethren.
I went to a little whole in the wall dinner here in good ole southern NC, where believe it or not the civil war is still alive and well.
As a Yankee with a New York accent, I sat at a table and was snubbed. Its certainly not my first rodeo in southern Americana.
Thing is the establishment is white, and Christian with references all over the walls. You would think they would act like it.
Well, its not their behavior that needs adjusting, its mine. I do not need to eat there. I do not need to go to such places.
Every eye in the place gave me the look of condemnation, like I did not belong. While they were saying hello to one another,
I was given the evil glances to get the heck out of their restaurant. I was not served, even though I had been there before.
The owner was not there, so the minions did as they pleased and ignored me for 20 minutes.
When I had enough, I thanked them for their service and went to walk out. They called me a b--ch and made fun of my accent.

I posted on social media about the bad service, and how it is in Gods hands how He wishes to handle this situation.
It is parts of the Christian community like this that give the unsaved ammunition against us.
Here in the south, establishments like this still exist and are very supremely white. Yes, welcome to redneck America.
I imagine my dark olive skin tone did not help matters any. Thing is the way I handle this is what others will remember.

That is the entire point Im making. The way we handle ourselves is what shall remain as our "mission" in this world, whatever that might be.
Now I am not taking sides here. I am positive that your situation was valid and that you were hurt.

All I can say is that I also have spent many good times in NC and SC and Tenn. and I have personally never encountered what you described. As a family we always go to Mom and Pop restaurants instead of the big box ones.

I am shocked to hear that you had such a bad experience! Those places depend on tourists dollars so it is very strange to hear your story.

Now I am not taking sides here. I am positive that your situation was valid and that you were hurt. All I can say is that I also have spent many good times in NC and SC and Tenn. and I have personally never encountered what you described. As a family we always go to Mom and Pop restaurants instead of the big box ones. I am shocked to hear that you had such a bad experience! Those places depend on tourists dollars so it is very strange to hear your story.

Hello sister thenami;

From knowing you here in our fellowship I just can't see anyone treating you that way, but I can relate, "when we least expect from others," seriously.

As far as the Christian quotes on the walls and whoever cursed you doesn't realize that the words that came out of this waitress's mouth is the same one she eats out of. If this restaurant is proclaiming God's house, so to speak, then no doubt God was watching. He also saw your humility.

James 4:6, 6 But He gives more grace. For this reason it says: “God resists the proud, but gives grace to the humble.” - MEV

Growing up in my home there was no such thing as color. But that didn't dismiss what my wife and I experienced on vacation in one Boston and Maine restaurant. That was 21 years ago and we quietly walked out of the Boston restaurant incident but resolved the Maine restaurant issue. Still, it did sting because we heard so many good things about these two states. It sadly took some joy out of our vacation.

Our experience in North and South Carolina restaurants were good but as far as other "customer service," overall I know people and myself who have been devastated at the service received making it hard to swallow the hurtful experience.

thenami, we all have had our share of bad customer and restaurant services. I can't take mine back but I can take my experiences and strive never to treat others in my service to them that would take away God's glory.

Just know you have a family here at CFS who loves you and your family.

In the meantime, keep writing!

God bless you, sister.

Its not my first experience like this. There will always be persons who choose to discriminate, judge, and condemn others based on differences they perceive to be "unacceptable". Im not the only "Yankee" living in this neighborhood that has voiced their deep displeasure with discriminatory actions, and comments made in public places. I know of several families that have moved because of problems their children were having in school. I home schooled my daughter because of them. Historically the schools in this area were not fully integrated till 1975. 1975... Think about that for a minute. No one wants to believe this kind of discrimination still exists. Yet here we are in 2024, and people like me still have bad experiences. I can write volumes and volumes of now countless experiences with discrimination Ive had. Until you experience for yourself what it means, I can understand why its a hard swallow. If I ever write a book the title would be Christian discrimination, by southern white Christians.

Hi thenami
I experienced similar from a few people whem I lived in Australia. Some people there do not like "pommies" 😊 Luckily I only met a few of them.

I had a lot of friends there, mostly Australian, others from England, Ireland, Scotland, Holland, New Zealand, India, Greece, etc.

People who discriminate are usually insecure or bullies. I just do not bother with them.

Prayer is wonderful. I know that you believe that too thenami

God Bless you Sister.

Its not my first experience like this. There will always be persons who choose to discriminate, judge, and condemn others based on differences they perceive to be "unacceptable". Im not the only "Yankee" living in this neighborhood that has voiced their deep displeasure with discriminatory actions, and comments made in public places. I know of several families that have moved because of problems their children were having in school. I home schooled my daughter because of them. Historically the schools in this area were not fully integrated till 1975. 1975... Think about that for a minute. No one wants to believe this kind of discrimination still exists. Yet here we are in 2024, and people like me still have bad experiences. I can write volumes and volumes of now countless experiences with discrimination Ive had. Until you experience for yourself what it means, I can understand why its a hard swallow. If I ever write a book the title would be Christian discrimination, by southern white Christians.
Now again.....I do not respond to your personal situation to argue, only to ask you why you think that the 3 fastest growing states in the USA are southern states? Florida, Texas, and Tenn.

Do you think that your concerns are universal or applied only to you?

I wonder if others from the northern states have seen such a problem and would join in!

Again, I have traveled all over the USA, from Fl. to Ken. to Texas to Colorado and New York and personally I have never had the problem you are having from anyone in the southern sates. I would however say that I have had a few "situations" in New Jersey & Mich".

I was once asked to leave a resturant in New York because I was wearing a cap that said "Jesus Saves, Are YOU!"

Do you have any answer as to why you have felt this way????

Now again.....I do not respond to your personal situation to argue, only to ask you why you think that the 3 fastest growing states in the USA are southern states? Florida, Texas, and Tenn. Do you think that your concerns are universal or applied only to you? I wonder if others from the northern states have seen such a problem and would join in! Again, I have traveled all over the USA, from Fl. to Ken. to Texas to Colorado and New York and personally I have never had the problem you are having from anyone in the southern sates. I would however say that I have had a few "situations" in New Jersey & Mich". I was once asked to leave a resturant in New York because I was wearing a cap that said "Jesus Saves, Are YOU!" Do you have any answer as to why you have felt this way????

Hello Major;

We traveled as an Air Force brat and later married with a personal desire to see parts of the United States. We got past the incidences in Boston and Maine with forgiveness. It was easy to forgive the restaurants because we wouldn't see them again. But still, the first was harder than the latter.

Other than that I can't remember a time when we were brutally treated with rudeness, prejudice or ridicule whether the North, South, East or West of the US. America is indeed a large, geographical country. That's why I'm sorry when hatred and cursing happens to people who just want to have a good time or enjoy a good meal.

I will confess when I was younger I went into establishments with a rude, arrogant behavior. Something personal set me off with an attitude and I brought it with me. That was my responsibility and accepted the consequences.

My wife and I are usually capable of being happy. We always say a short pray before going to a restaurant, movie, department store, the police or fire departments, and invite the Lord to join us. So if we come across an unhappy employee or person, we won't allow them to get in the way of the Lord and rob us of our joy. We won't be moved.

Psalm 62:5-8, 5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. 6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. 7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. 8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
- KJV

To others, are my testimonies self righteous? Do my wife and I live a happy go lucky life? I'm not responsible for other's thoughts from unhappy Christians, God help the unhappy non-believers.

My wife and I have our share of problems, yes, and some not pleasant, just like the next man or woman. But instead of bemoaning and dwelling the most undesirable things that can happen in life while believing Jesus is far away, instead, I choose to be a contributor of sharing how Christ guides us through every circumstance and provide a joy that truly come from Him, along with compassion instead of condemnation toward the world.

Hey bobinfaith 😇

Damn I tend to get stuck more in my condemnation more than compassion and hope when it comes to others…that’s my sin nature I guess… a love of drama maybe? Ugh…Now you mention it, I notice it’s harder some days than others. Most often it’s hardest when I think I’m right. And I get stuck in my rightness and get carried along until someone wakes me up. Condemnation is not always easy to spot. I can always spot compassion. I tend to only notice when I am condemning others when someone says something at the right time or points it out to me. I must be fertile.I enjoy the humility though because that’s when I know that Jesus is looking out for me and I am His!😇 Normally I’m angry or in a moaning mood and someone comes along and an angel taps me on the shoulder and I take note and wake up. Usually it’s not done by reading scripture because I can be too closed off but it certainly works through another Christian in love. Blessings.

Hello Via;

Three points you made that I blue-lighted. I don't feel these are one time occurrences but examples of Jesus' continued satisfying mission in your life. He empowers you with the spirit and brings you into the light.

Right when the condemnation hits you out of nowhere, He brings compassion. When you show condemnation He sends His servant timely to reveal righteousness. When you are brought to humbleness or humility (a low state of oneness,) Jesus exalts you.

Luke 14:11, 11 For every one who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted.” - RSV

Luke 18:14, 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for every one who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted.” - RSV

God bless you, sister.

Major it is much better to forgive and forget than to dwell on the shortcomings of others. I have enough of my own.
Maybe you should try to understand why my situation bothers you so much, and pray about it. Its truly in Gods hands.
The choices I make daily are mine; that is what I have control over.

Peace and blessings to all.
My dear sister......I do understand, and I am not bothered in any way. I was only concerned for YOU and how in some way what YOU have experienced could be fixed.

I said in post #4.........`"Now I am not taking sides here. I am positive that your situation was valid and that you were hurt."

Blessing to you in all that you do!

Hello Major;

We traveled as an Air Force brat and later married with a personal desire to see parts of the United States. We got past the incidences in Boston and Maine with forgiveness. It was easy to forgive the restaurants because we wouldn't see them again. But still, the first was harder than the latter.

Other than that I can't remember a time when we were brutally treated with rudeness, prejudice or ridicule whether the North, South, East or West of the US. America is indeed a large, geographical country. That's why I'm sorry when hatred and cursing happens to people who just want to have a good time or enjoy a good meal.

I will confess when I was younger I went into establishments with a rude, arrogant behavior. Something personal set me off with an attitude and I brought it with me. That was my responsibility and accepted the consequences.

My wife and I are usually capable of being happy. We always say a short pray before going to a restaurant, movie, department store, the police or fire departments, and invite the Lord to join us. So if we come across an unhappy employee or person, we won't allow them to get in the way of the Lord and rob us of our joy. We won't be moved.

Psalm 62:5-8, 5 My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him. 6 He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved. 7 In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God. 8 Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
- KJV

To others, are my testimonies self righteous? Do my wife and I live a happy go lucky life? I'm not responsible for other's thoughts from unhappy Christians, God help the unhappy non-believers.

My wife and I have our share of problems, yes, and some not pleasant, just like the next man or woman. But instead of bemoaning and dwelling the most undesirable things that can happen in life while believing Jesus is far away, instead, I choose to be a contributor of sharing how Christ guides us through every circumstance and provide a joy that truly come from Him, along with compassion instead of condemnation toward the world.
I pretty much tried to say just that.

When we see the true condition of the world, do we see it through His eyes with compassion, or through our own eyes with condemnation?
Going back to the beginning for me... as since I am from Canada... I can't make any comments about the United States.

This is a very good question for a believer to be asking themselves... I have found that many people don't really seem to know themselves.
When I say this.... I mean the Christians that I have experienced tend to think of themselves FAR too well in my opinion... maybe that's just me... and I think much of this ATTITUDE of repulsion I have towards many comes from the days of hanging out at the forums those years ago.
There was so much HATRED... and CONDEMNATION being dished out that it was survival of the fittest... and all those topics.... people
thought they were RIGHT and being GOOD defenders of the faith.
Then there's all the hypocrisy I have witenessed from my own family with their legalistic doctrine.

I haven't even gotten to the declining condition of the world yet.... that was just my attitude towards many believers. it's like the Shania Twain song.... So... you're a rocket scientist.... That don't impress me much. HA.

When I leave my house I pray... for wisdom... for patience... and I always ask God to help me bring JOY.
I also ask Him to help me keep my lips ZIPPED. Sometimes I am successful... and sometimes I fail and react to someone
who comes at me with an arrogant or rude attitude. It's a tough one for me.

There is a homeless guy who sits on the sidewalk outside the door of the mall where the grocery store is... I often pick him up something to drink and some kind of pastry to eat.

I'm rather sheltered... and my exposure to the world is MINIMAL. I have done much work with the drug addicts and homeless people... Street ministry is my favorite... but again... here where I live... I am too far from the downtown area... where most congregate.

How do I see the world??? with DISGUST .... but I love those who are broken... those who are hurting... those who no one else wants... I want those ones.

Going back to the beginning for me... as since I am from Canada... I can't make any comments about the United States. This is a very good question for a believer to be asking themselves... I have found that many people don't really seem to know themselves. When I say this.... I mean the Christians that I have experienced tend to think of themselves FAR too well in my opinion... maybe that's just me... and I think much of this ATTITUDE of repulsion I have towards many comes from the days of hanging out at the forums those years ago. There was so much HATRED... and CONDEMNATION being dished out that it was survival of the fittest... and all those topics.... people thought they were RIGHT and being GOOD defenders of the faith. Then there's all the hypocrisy I have witenessed from my own family with their legalistic doctrine. I haven't even gotten to the declining condition of the world yet.... that was just my attitude towards many believers. it's like the Shania Twain song.... So... you're a rocket scientist.... That don't impress me much. HA.
When I leave my house I pray... for wisdom... for patience... and I always ask God to help me bring JOY. I also ask Him to help me keep my lips ZIPPED. Sometimes I am successful... and sometimes I fail and react to someone who comes at me with an arrogant or rude attitude. It's a tough one for me.
There is a homeless guy who sits on the sidewalk outside the door of the mall where the grocery store is... I often pick him up something to drink and some kind of pastry to eat. I'm rather sheltered... and my exposure to the world is MINIMAL. I have done much work with the drug addicts and homeless people... Street ministry is my favorite... but again... here where I live... I am too far from the downtown area... where most congregate. How do I see the world??? with DISGUST .... but I love those who are broken... those who are hurting... those who no one else wants... I want those ones.

Hello In Awe of Him;

No worries, sister. We thank you for your honesty and expressing yourself keeping it Christ centered. That in itself is a blessing to us.

A man or woman of God living in Canada, Indonesia, Ukraine, New Zealand, Australia, all over the four corners of the earth can make a list of the conditions in our home country.

I believe Christ reveals the darkness while we are in the light as Christians so God can appoint us where He calls us to share the Gospel. It doesn't matter whether we are sheltered, outgoing, confined or a joiner, that doesn't hinder God and He will direct His purpose to each of us.

Personally, I can list and grumble against the ongoings in my home country daily to God. God is not going to refute me because He loves me and already knows what's on my heart. But then it's His turn and what He calls me to do.

While God is using us He is still pruning the chaff from our flesh and spirit while doing a good work in us.

Thank you for telling your story. As I shared with another member, Jesus had a story to tell and made that clear when He rebuked and prophesied the religious elite in Matthew 23 - the Seven Woes.

In the meantime, In Awe of Him, keep writing and allow the world wide public to read your story. This will witness to those who can relate and encourage them to share with the next person who needs Jesus.

I promise, they won't be puzzled. lol!

God bless you, sister.

Back