1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Your Body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit

Discussion in 'Sports, Games and Health' started by Dusty, Aug 18, 2007.

1. Your Body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit

1 Corinthians 6:19-20

I have been bought with a price and I belong to God. Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?

You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body... I was reminded big time that if my body isn't getting healthy food its is out of whack and that is NO way to treat my body, because Jesus paid for it. And in not caring for my body I am not honoring the Lord.

Have never smoked, used drugs or been a drinker so got sort of lazy and forgot that eating right is also something the Lord wants me to do.

Anyone care to share your thoughts ??

2. I agree absolutly.

Allow me to quote from the book Lets Get Serious.
    There is an entire section in the book on our physical committment to God but I will only quote briefly from the introduction to chapter 2

Note quoted with permission of the author

Ray

Does your body really matter to God?
    Surely this body is just a temporary dwelling, God can’t want me to waste my time worrying about something which is not going to last?
    I have lost count of the number of times that I have heard those comments. Some Christians seem to be so concerned with the "Spiritual" that they neglect the "Physical". I trust that you do not fall into that group.
    God is actually very interested in your body. In fact I would say that unless your body is committed to God you cannot possibly be living a fully committed Christian life and as a result your effectiveness for the Lord is going to be limited and your personal enjoyment of all that God has for you is going to suffer.
    Remember it is the physical dimension of your life that provides the only vehicle through which God can use you on this earth. In fact it might be asked; without your body where on earth would you be?
    If God is going to use you to communicate the message of His love, He is going to use your body.
    It is through your physical mouth that He enables you to speak for Him and to pray to Him.
    It is through your physical ears that He enables you to listen to His servants preaching and teaching, also through those same physical ears He allows you to listen to others and be sensitive to their needs.
    Your physical hands and feet are the only hands and feet available for you to do what He wants you to do for Him.
    Yes indeed God is very interested in your physical body.
    Look for a moment at 1 Corinthians chapter 6 verses 19-20 [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Italic]Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own, you were bought with a price. Therefore honour God with your body[/FONT].
    God, through the apostle Paul, reminds you that your body is His temple.
    Paul knew the structure of the temple very well indeed. He knew about the outer enclosure and the inner section. The inner section was known as the Holy of Holies. A place so sacred that only the High Priest could ever enter it and even he could only do so once a year on the day of atonement.
    On that special day the High Priest would take off his robes of office and dress in a simple white garment. He would then go through a very detailed and elaborate ritual of cleansing before going into the Holy of Holies where he would sprinkle sacrificial blood to make atonement for the sins of the nation................
    In the verse we looked at a few moments ago where Paul reminded us that our bodies are the temples of the Holy Spirit, he used the word meaning the Holy of Holies. That tells me that God says that in His eyes your body is as sacred as the Holy of Holies.
    [FONT=TimesNewRoman,Bold]It must be for He lives there![/FONT]
    I have referred to it as your body but it is not really your own, it belongs to God. If your body belongs to the Lord it follows that it is only on loan to you. You therefore have an obligation to look after it in a way that shows your respect for the one to whom it belongs................

3. Thanks Dusty!

This reminds me of all the "dieting" I have tried to do over the last few years with the sole purpose of losing weight and looking good instead of to honor God. I never applied these scriptures to food, but your post has helped me see things differently.

Thanks for the encouragement.

4. I'm so glad you brought this up Dusty! I agree 150%, if that's possible. You know, my husband and I are not wealthy people. In fact after we decided I would stay home with our girls, things got tighter and after my husband had his accident in March... Well, let's just say we're still recovering. And yet, even though many have given me grief about spending too much on "food", I still don't fell guilty about buying natural and organic, every time I can! My philosophy is I would rather spend a little more now and make good food from scratch with lots of fresh veggies and fresh, organic meat then to spend this money on doctor's bills later. I believe what we put in our body as far as food and drink is just as important as not doing drugs or smoking (no offense to smokers...:D). That's my take on this anyway! Anyone else?

Laura:)

5. Hey Laura..... Great answer.I believe even if you don't have the money, somehow God will provide it for you as you are honouring Him by looking after His Temple and eating right. We are also told that portion size matters and we in North America eat way more than we need to and I am guilty as the next.When we go a reastaurant for example, the food is piled on our plate , enough for probably two or three people.

I still have stuck in my head what my mom said to me as a little kid, that I must eat everything on my plate or I could not leave the table. Well even today I have a problem with that as I feel I have to clean my plate.... .

Kudos to you Laura for making meals from scratch as how many people do nowadays they don't know about all the chemicals and preservatives they are putting into their bodies.when they buy all this ready made food.

6. My mom use to make me eat everything on my plate too, so what I do now as an adult is I don't put so much on my plate anymore. (Or at least I try not to). :)

Many people believe it is not right to ask God to help us lose weight. Well, I am not one of them. I do ask God to give me (and all of you) the strength and ability to eat in a way that would be pleasing to Him. :amen:

7. Thank you Dusty, I appreciate your encouragement!

8. [​IMG]

InHisLove,

I don't see anything wrong with asking God to help us with our eating habits. After all He is interested in every aspect of our lives. Good for you.

Yes I try to put less on my plate as well as using a smaller plate but living alone presents it's own problems where when I have left overs, I cannot throw them out and you guessed it, it goes to me.

That also is from when I was on my mission trips and we were told what we take we eat and do not leave anything on our plate. One person did not obey and we saw one of the missionary's workers, eating the remains on the plate. That taught me a lesson.

9. Thank you and good for you! I think it's silly, when we have scriptures to prove that God wants us to pray about ANYTHING AND EVERYTHING, to say that He would not want us to ask His help to loose weight. Who else better? He is the ONLY one who truly knows all of us and He is the ONLY one who can give us a plan tailor made for our own particular needs that can truly help us loose weight and keep it off! Diets don't work! Not for the long run, anyway. We need a life-style change not a crash diet!

10. :amen::amen::amen:

Laura, I agree. It is a lifestye change. With God all things are possible.

11. Housesitter....... By the way ..... who is the author of that book that you quoted . It sounds like a good one. " "Let's get Serious." I wonder if I can find it here.

12. Dusty, Adoptivemommy, Laura,

AMEN!

:fish::fish::fish:

13. Hi Dusty,
    I will pm you the details.
    Ray