Young Adult and Respecting their parents

Young Adult and Respecting their parents

I need prayer to help me to remember to always respect my elders. Although I am 21, I still love my parents and sometimes I can give my mother a little too much lip and I've been guilty of this and I am trying to work on it. I know i don't have to always agree, but there is a way to respectfully disagree with someone and still show them respect. I am away at college so only really see my mom once a month, but I remember when I came home last time, my mother and I were driving and I was on the beltway, I don't really use the beltway that much and I'm not that great about it. My mother was off the wall though, screaming and yelling for no reason and just really really distracting me and making me uptight while i was driving so i got so upset that i just shouted "mom will you shutup please just shut up!!" I felt guilty afterwards and I know that although she was being distracting I could have handled it differently, very differently and I never tell my mother to shut up, I don't know what came over me, I was already uptight and just lost control, terrible, i feel horrible. I could have handled that much better. I could have said, either nothing, pulled over or just asked her to please be quiet because she was going to cause me to get in an accident. I am trying to really improve in this area, I never really had issues with my dad, but sometimes my mom and i get in petty arguements and I know I need to respect her always, even if we don't agree. She's done so so much for me and I love her, please pray for me and I ask God to forgive me for this and to help me change.

P.S does anyone know any scripture that will help me with this issue, so i can recite it routinely until it is so ingrained in me i won't need to think twice??
Our arguement are always petty, like arguments pertaining to my hair or me coming home rom college and too tired to get spend hours shopping and she wants to go, stupid arguements and I do take responsibility cause i need to work on my respect towards her, I need to learn to compromise and that is what I am did today, i put aside my issues and said you know what if mom wants to do this, then I need to do it, its not hurting anyone and I am just going to try to keep thinking like that and praying.

I have said a prayer that God will help you be more respectful to your mother. I know that I too sometimes have trouble getting along with my mother. Hopefully we will both gain the maturity and wisdom we need to become more respectful to our mothers. I wish I knew the words of the Bible better to give you some scripture, but I don't. Keep praying about it. God bless you!

I think most of us at some time or another when we are young have the same problem that your'e having with our mother/father.

It's wonderful that you want to correct it. You should be so very proud of yourself, as most young people do not realize what you have until they are much older. You're on the right track! :smiley90:

Blessings, Cheri

Here are some scriptures for you:

Colossians 3:20
Children, obey your parents in everything, for this pleases the Lord

Proverbs 1:8

Hear, my son, your father's instruction, and forsake not your mother's teaching.

Exodus 20:12

“Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long in the land that the Lord your God is giving you.

Ephesians 6:1-4

Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. “Honor your father and mother” (this is the first commandment with a promise), “that it may go well with you and that you may live long in the land.

I agree, sometimes when my mother does things I don't consent off. Like washing my close, I feel like telling here to stop. All do I do it politely I do feel bad for telling here, because I am very up-front with her. But at the end we can always bluff it off.:smiley90:

Back