You have your truth? and I have my truth?

Discussion in 'Doctrinal Discussions' started by geralduk, Dec 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don't forget that Joseph, being a carpenter, would also have traveled to where the work was. The Roman authorities at that time were doing all sorts of construction projects for themselves, including palaces for themselves, etc. So, Joseph would not have been short of work.

Also, who is to say what God has arranged for whatever purpose. If a star (bright light in the night) was to move around - why not?

2. I have answered about the star in another post as far as my understanding has gone .

in Christ
    gerald

3. Certainly the stars will fall to the earth, Rev 6:13, which will cause the earth's rotation to increase by 8 hours making 16-hour days instead of 24, Rev 8:10-12. The third part of the stars, Rev 12:4, I believe are a third of the angels who chose to follow the devil and not actual stars. In Rev 1 the seven stars are the pastors of the seven churches.

4. Then they were in violation of the law:

Leviticus 12:8 (KJV)
    And if she be not able to bring a lamb, then she shall bring two turtles, or two young pigeons; the one for the burnt offering, and the other for a sin offering: and the priest shall make an atonement for her, and she shall be clean. ​

Luke 2:23-24 (KJV)
    (As it is written in the law of the Lord, Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;) And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons. ​

They were physically poor because they literally brought the actual Lamb of God, uber rich spiritually.

5. In many cases, the disagreements between persons in general and between Christians in particular are only superficially about what is fundamentally true. What is usually at issue is the authority to pass judgment on the truth of a given issue.

As Christians, we often make a chain of reasoning similar to this:

(1) I believe that the Bible is the inerrant word of God.

(2) Through reading the Bible, I have come to understand the truth of Proposition X.

(3) What someone else says is only true if it is in agreement with Proposition X.

(4) Anything that is in contrast to Proposition X is false.​

The problem with this line of reasoning is in step 2. Our understanding of scripture is not perfect. It does no good to assert the Spirit residing in yourself is giving witness and guidance to your reading of His word. That same spirit is within other Christians, even those that maintain concepts antithetical to our own. Paul says it this way:

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face; now I know in part, but then I will know fully just as I also have been fully known. (Mirrors, in Biblical times were very poor by today’s standards. Polished metal or a blackened basin filled with water.)

I do understand that there is a ground Truth that in the most fundamental and eternal manner is infinitely reliable, but our ability to perceive this is very limited. And in many cases, the purpose of scripture and living by faith is not those fundamental Truths, but how we grow to trust the Lord.

A pastor at a church I attended long ago pointed out that if scripture was perfectly clear about every issue, we would always be turning to the answer book rather than coming to its author in prayer. The Bible is meant to aid in the Christian coming to know God, not to replace our Lord.

Philosopher Roderick Chisholm distinguished two senses of the right to be sure:

(1) Someone has exhausted all evidences and is 100% sure and have no need to further examine arguments.

(2) Someone takes himself to know the truth of the question, though he would agree that there is a possibility of being wrong and would in principle be willing to look at other evidences, though he would approach those evidences with skepticism according to the strength of what I already know.​

The problem comes when someone that is properly sure in the 2nd manner to act as if his surety was of the 1st sense.

I may hold something as true. I may be sure of it to the extent that I would approach contrary evidences with the greatest skepticism, but I must allow those around me to examine the evidences for their selves.

This is not really a case of “their truth” being fundamentally or finally just as good as “my truth:, but that I do not have the authority to impose my view of what is true upon someone else.

It is also incumbent upon us to continually examine our beliefs and polish our mirrors. If we can learn something form someone else's understanding that may be in conflict with what we previously held.

We must understand that growing in Christ is not so much expanding our knowledge of true Things as it is in leaning upon the Author of Truth to guide our steps. Knowing True things can aid us in Knowing Him, but must not become a replacement from Him, nor of faith in Him.

6. The CFS Staff has closed this thread pending evaluation of content and member rules violations.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.