Xenophobia, The Fear Of Strangers - Matthew 25:35

One thing to keep in mind, ISTE's....God, if He directs you helping a stranger, will also protect you. He doesn't ever lead us into danger....we are good at doing that ourselves.

The hitch is knowing when God is saying..."Help this soul. Feed him. Cloth him. Give him shelter."

My cousin runs one of the largest Mission Houses for street people in S. California. Has since the 70's. An institutions selection for helping street people is quite different what an individual must use.

I understand Rusty. BUT I have an uncle who did what you are encouraging and he took in a stranger, a homeless person and that person murdered him that same night and stole $49.00 from him. He gave his life to a stranger for $49.00.
$49.00!!!

My uncle was a Godly man, a deacon in his church and he died for $49.00 when he allowed a homeless man to spend the night.

You see, we can come up with all kinds of do good things how God will do this and God will protect this and that but we should never forget that there is a "literal" devil who roams this earth like a lion seeking to devour those who come into his realm. We all need to be careful and use a lot of common sense when it come to allowing the homeless to come into our homes.

I agree Major. The principle of the good Samaritan is sound (obviously :) ). We need to look at the setting as well. If I came across a victim of a mugging, should I pick him/her up throw them in the boot of the car and drive them to the nearest Hyatt or Marigold Hotel? No! not these days. Call 000 or in the USA, 911. Well call for professional assistance anyway.
Similarly with the homeless...there are aid agencies that are geared for that. The Salvos, St Vinies and so on. They can provide a bed, a meal, and support, counseling. We can provide financial support by donation to that aid agency if we are of a mind to do so.
The 'good Samaritan' had a right attitude, and used the best available aid in his situation. We can/should do the same..That does not mean we must take a homeless person into our own home when there is better help available.

Sorry, Major, about your uncle.

As I have repeatedly pointed out: A Christian must directly ask God for specific orders per case. God instructs. One's position in a church is not a substitute for getting God's instructions.

Right Calvin: There are many institutions today, started by Christians long ago, to do Good Sam work. They were endangered then and still are, sometimes. But they claim God's assistance to them.

Point is: not every "loser" on the street is a crook, junky or murderer. That's where prayer and sensitivity to answers to those prayers MUST come in.

I began giving money to pan handlers recently and occasionally some food that I would buy. I told my police friend and he said, "You know, the money you give them goes directly to drugs and alcohol, don't you?"
Me: "Not always, they also need to eat and drink."
Him: "They get food from the local churches every night. It's not what they use it for. They actually think that WE are crazy for working everyday. A lot of them enjoy their lifestyle."

Gave me a very different perspective so now I just use judgement instead of feeling condemned every time I don't give the homeless money. Oh, and where I live, they are every where. No, my city isn't "ghetto", far from it, actually, but southern California has gorgeous weather, cities and people, so many of them live here because of it.

I began giving money to pan handlers recently and occasionally some food that I would buy. I told my police friend and he said, "You know, the money you give them goes directly to drugs and alcohol, don't you?"
Me: "Not always, they also need to eat and drink."
Him: "They get food from the local churches every night. It's not what they use it for. They actually think that WE are crazy for working everyday. A lot of them enjoy their lifestyle."

Gave me a very different perspective so now I just use judgement instead of feeling condemned every time I don't give the homeless money. Oh, and where I live, they are every where. No, my city isn't "ghetto", far from it, actually, but southern California has gorgeous weather, cities and people, so many of them live here because of it.

Your police friend is correct.

My son has been a policeman for 24 years and he will tell you same thing.

God expects us to help those who can not help themselves for variouse reasons, BUT God also expects us to work when we are able to do so. In the 2nd reading of the Law in Deuteronomy.........God " says that those who do not work do not eat".

God has given us all a brain, and He does not expect us to remove it when certain decisions present themselves to us.

To allow a stranger to come into our home is a very dangerous thing to do.

Back