Would You Lie To Save A Innocent Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rom 3:4 By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written, "That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged."
Rom 3:5 But if our unrighteousness serves to show the righteousness of God, what shall we say? That God is unrighteous to inflict wrath on us? (I speak in a human way.)
Rom 3:6 By no means! For then how could God judge the world?
Rom 3:7 But if through my lie God's truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner?
Rom 3:8 And why not do evil that good may come?--as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just.

The Apostles were being slandered as telling people it is OK to do evil so that good may come out of it, which is totally false!!
There were people who thought since God is glorified because he shows his mercy and grace on those who do not deserve it, then why not go all out and do evil so that good may come.
If we do evil and lie so that God is glorified through our lie how then God going to be able to judge the world when are doing the same thing?
Ro 3:20 Therefore by the deeds of the law no flesh will be justified in His sight, for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets

The problem here it that the law 10 commandments is made to make all guilty before God, its the ministry of condemnation! Anyone who is trying to keep a clear conscience by keeping the law is in self-righteousness and hypocrisy. That no one is justified in the sight of God by the law is evident!

Brother, As you already know we could not fulfill the law, and the law showed us that we were sinners and needed help, so Love (God) came to fulfill the law for us. This is why it says "Love (God) is the fulfilling of the law.

Rom 13:9 For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet," and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
Rom 13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Since we are filled with Love (God) in us that's who it is controlling us to do right.

2Co 5:13 For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you.
2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;

If Love, (which is the fulfilling of the law) is controlling us then that love will never lie or do evil that good may come of it.

Last edited:
Brother, As you already know we could not fulfill the law, and the law showed us that we were sinners and needed help, so Love (God) came to fulfill the law for us. This is why it says "Love (God) is the fulfilling of the law.

Rom 13:9 For the commandments, "You shall not commit adultery, You shall not murder, You shall not steal, You shall not covet," and any other commandment, are summed up in this word: "You shall love your neighbor as yourself."
Rom 13:10 Love does no wrong to a neighbor; therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Since we are filled with Love (God) in us that's who it is controlling us to do right.

2Co 5:13 For if we are beside ourselves, it is for God; if we are in our right mind, it is for you.
2Co 5:14 For the love of Christ controls us, because we have concluded this: that one has died for all, therefore all have died;

If Love, (which is the fulfilling of the law) is controlling us then that love will never lie or do evil that good may come of it.
Right my friend we are under the Spirit and not the letter.. love does not allow a innocent person to die, to protect our self-righteousness.

If all we have to rely on is our own strength we would be in deep trouble.

2Co 4:6 For God, who commanded the light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ.
2Co 4:7 But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us.

Right my friend we are under the Spirit and not the letter.. love does not allow a innocent person to die, to protect our self-righteousness.

Love does not allow a innocent person to die, but it is according to his ways it is done not ours. If it was up to our own wisdom and strength we would simply lie to save.

Love does not allow a innocent person to die, but it is according to his ways it is done not ours. If it was up to our own wisdom and strength we would simply lie to save.
Well lying is not the Nature of God, love is...and if we are walking in His Love..we will know what to do to help..I know I am not judged by the "letter" that makes me more honest not less and if I had to "lie" to save an innocent life and seen no other way? I would not be breaking any law of God, but through love keeping Gods law!

Last edited:
Well lying is not the Nature of God, love is...and if we are walking in His Love..we will know what to do to help..I know I am not judged by the "letter" that makes me more honest not less and if I had to "lie" to save an innocent life and seen no other way? I would not be breaking any law of God, but through love keeping Gods law!

I completely understand your heart in this matter, as most if not all Christians would strive for innocent life to be safe from harm, and be willing to do anything to keep it so. I feel that same way, yet I know his way is all ways best even though it may seem strange, as we want things to be done quickly and we are less willing to wait for his leading which all ways comes at the right time.

I completely understand your heart in this matter, as most if not all Christians would strive for innocent life to be safe from harm, and be willing to do anything to keep it so. I feel that same way, yet I know his way is all ways best even though it may seem strange, as we want things to be done quickly and we are less willing to wait for his leading which all ways comes at the right time.
Part of my point is that God is not "legalistic" and the reason He presented Himself that way through the law of Moses was to show man that man is NOT honest. His ways are NOT found in legalism, but in love and sincerity of faith. Those are the hard and narrow ways, "the way" the Pharisee cannot enter because they take a level of truth that the hypocrite cannot attain.

Had you been in Europe during WW2 would you have told the Nazis where the Jews were hiding?
"Well they asked and I could not tell a lie."

Exactly and all this other stuff is pure folly because those people are writing words on a computer and not in real life situations.....!
It is easy to say we would not lie while on a computer!

Wow. I guess I fall in the no lies camp but I am astonished that it is the minority view. There is ALWAYS a way to tell the truth. Jesus never lied and He saved everybody! I have never seen a lie that wasn't self serving. And I worked in the criminal justice system for 27 years. And I have lied. I try especially hard not to do it any more. If you want to save innocent lives - turn them to Christ. It is a specious argument to say that someone should lie for any reason. You do not have to lie if you remain silent or misdirect with questions. For years I have heard it is okay to tell a "white" lie and I have never found any truth in that. I have never found truth in the so-called "brutal" truth either. Both are lies. And I have never seen a lie help an innocent. And it is very easy to lie, most of all, on computer. Lies are portals - doorways- into your very soul, and they open the way to evil. Not that many people hid Jews from the Nazis. Historical fact says that most people collected bounty in turning them in and those who hid them. Those who hid them, in most cases - were never asked. None of the people, who hid Ann Frank and her family were ever prosecuted.
I would question a burning bush that told me to lie. It is against God and love.

Wow. I guess I fall in the no lies camp but I am astonished that it is the minority view. There is ALWAYS a way to tell the truth. Jesus never lied and He saved everybody! I have never seen a lie that wasn't self serving. And I worked in the criminal justice system for 27 years. And I have lied. I try especially hard not to do it any more. If you want to save innocent lives - turn them to Christ. It is a specious argument to say that someone should lie for any reason. You do not have to lie if you remain silent or misdirect with questions. For years I have heard it is okay to tell a "white" lie and I have never found any truth in that. I have never found truth in the so-called "brutal" truth either. Both are lies. And I have never seen a lie help an innocent. And it is very easy to lie, most of all, on computer. Lies are portals - doorways- into your very soul, and they open the way to evil. Not that many people hid Jews from the Nazis. Historical fact says that most people collected bounty in turning them in and those who hid them. Those who hid them, in most cases - were never asked. None of the people, who hid Ann Frank and her family were ever prosecuted.
I would question a burning bush that told me to lie. It is against God and love.
Good to hear form you again silk... I would just ask was Rahab justified when she mislead some to protect Gods People? This is the BIBLE ..and its used over and over as example of righteousness. I don't think you guys who are claiming to uphold this standard of the written code are being very honest about this issue...no offense intended..:)

Im going to speak a little prophetic word... Those of you who are making this claim to keep this standard of the written code, will all break this standard within a week for much less than to save the live of an innocent person. Like Peter who heard the roster, God will convict your conscience, and you should learn not to boast in your ability to keep the written code.

The title asks the question 'Would you lie to save an innocent life''. Yes there may be many things we can say without needing to lie. But that is not an answer to the title.

To answer the title we need to respond with a YES that is me or a NO that is not me to Glomungs post # 73

Had you been in Europe during WW2 would you have told the Nazis where the Jews were hiding?

The title asks the question 'Would you lie to save an innocent life''. Yes there may be many things we can say without needing to lie. But that is not an answer to the title.

To answer the title we need to respond with a YES that is me or a NO that is not me to Glomungs post # 73

Yea Rahab.would have never made it into righteousness with that!

I haven't read all your repsonses yet but please tell me the scripture where it says Rahab lied. Misdirect or said nothing? Is it possible that no one ever asked Rahab directly? I have admittedly read the verses quickly but I don't see it.

I would find a better way than to lie to save an innocent life. And Mitspa, you aren't a prophet - but I will let everyone know if I lie within the time period. I have been given harsh lessons from the Lord about lying. The God I worship does not ask me to kill or lie to accomplish any small part I may have in His plan.

It is not self righteous to say I won't lie. It is told to you throughout scripture - OT and New. Don't lie. Don't blame any lies you tell on God. Or are you saying that anywhere in scripture that God tells us to lie?

To answer this you need to picture yourself in the situation.

You have Jews in your basement. Germans come asking if you are harbouring them. You say an immediate 'YES, I can't lie' = bad Christian. You say an immediate 'NO, do I look dumb' = good Christian. If you say 'umm well that depends / its none of your business / etc etc = may as well say Yes as they will then definitely search the house.

During Apartheid here, my parents owned quite a big farm. They helped out / 'harboured' quite a few 'blacks' who were beaten and ran from their masters. I do recall people looking for them...I can take a good guess at what my dad said to them.

Last edited:
I can't speak to what or how your father helped black fugitives, King J. I only know this - lies are not part of the path to God and I see it as a serious thing. I would do what God lead me to do without having to lie. In my life experience, I cannot tell you one lie I told that wasn't self serving and wrong. I am not speaking to omission or misdirection by asking questions and acting innocent. If I was hiding an innocent, I would make sure that I would protect myself and my family as well as the "innocent". I would not reach for a lie because I know how well that doesn't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back