Would You Lie To Save A Innocent Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would say the Lord really does not want us to worry about tomorrow and what it brings. Since he knows all things that are going to happen before they do, we can rest in knowing what ever information we need, at the exact right time it will be there to confound our enemies. It might not save us from being hurt, but it would save us by having our conscience clear that we did the right thing.

Last edited:
Not to long ago a group of Christians on another forum asked me to answer yes/no "would I lie to save a innocent life?" They were not very happy with my response back to them, in fact nobody liked what I said.
So I am asking it here just to see what others thought.

Would you?
Is it ever OK to lie to do the will of God?
Great question!

My answer is same as yours.. The not so favorite one.. I think many people take Rahab's case to justify that it is okay to lie for a good cause.. Leave alone saving life of a dear person.. I had this argument with one Pastor.. He said it is okay to lie if it is for good cause.. The example he took is parenting.. When we give food for our kids, often we say this is the last bite.. In reality we would have 10 more mouthful to give :) Is that a lie? Yes.. Is that okay? As per my pastor it was okay.. I argued it cannot be okay.. It shows my inability rather than justifying the action..

Same goes with Rahab.. It was not her works which justified her.. God did not honor the lie, but the faith..

Another great example is Abraham.. I think where hit the nail with this.. When we lie for good cause, we are stepping out of will of God.. Though intention is good, we are doing that in our own and not relying on God..

Abraham was promised about birth of Isaac.. He has been given the promise and it was made very clear it will be through Sarah.. This is just before destruction of Sodom.. Then in Chapter 20 we come across this character Abimelech.. Abraham (for a second time) lies that Sarah is his sister.. Not technically Sarah is her sister.. So many do not even count that as lie.. The point is, he is acting on his own to save Sarah.. When he could have very well said, Lord is going to keep her safe.. It took some time for him to get to that level of faith.. When Lord asked Abraham to sacrifice Isaac.. He did not try to find a way out.. After all, Isaac is the promised son.. He simply believed Lord can bring him back to life and he just have to obey the Lord..

I think that is a great example to look that.. We can never step out of revealed will of God and think we are still walking in the will of God..

Not to long ago a group of Christians on another forum asked me to answer yes/no "would I lie to save a innocent life?" They were not very happy with my response back to them, in fact nobody liked what I said.
So I am asking it here just to see what others thought.

Would you?
Is it ever OK to lie to do the will of God?
While I was typing the reply, this question came to me..

Is it ever okay to kill a person to save life of another person? Do not murder is a commandment, same way as do not lie.. What do you think on this?

Rahab in her faith---lied. We can trust God to move us to say and do exactly what He calls for at the moment, as we consistently conduct our lives according to His will, so that these so-called moral dilemmas don't become an issue---we immediately do what is right according to God's will.

Rahab in her faith---lied. We can trust God to move us to say and do exactly what He calls for at the moment, as we consistently conduct our lives according to His will, so that these so-called moral dilemmas don't become an issue---we immediately do what is right according to God's will.
I can agree to that with one additional statement. God would never ask us to say or do something contradicting his revealed will, His Word

OK.......since you do have a wonderful imagination lets think about something that can and does happen very often.

Your daughter comes one night beaten up very badly. Her husband has worked her over and she comes home to you.
As you are trying to calm her down there is a bang at the door. You look out and there is her husband with a shotgun in his hand.
Your daughter runs and hides in the bathroom and says, daddy, please DO NOT TELL HIM I AM HERE!!!

You open the door and he points the gun in your face and asks you......."Is Mary here"?

Do you lie or tell him the truth????

Then as I am writing this the thought just occurred to me. I wonder how many lies Ann Frank told the Nazi's when they asked her and her family if they knew where any Jews were hiding????

Obviously he sees her car in the drive way, or else why would he be showing up to my house. He brings a gun, because he knows I have a gun. No point in lying, as it won't help the situation. Heres how to handle the situation, if he is able to make it over my black rod iron fence:

1. Have daughter hide in secret "panic room" that we never told husband about because he's obviously not in the circle of trust.

2. Call the cops and let them know I'm about to exercise the stand your ground law.

3. Release the rottweilers

4. Use combat skills to remove gun

5. Handcuff him with ziptie

Then when he asks me if she is home, I will say yes but he can't talk to her at the moment. No lying necessary.

Reminds of Our Lords comment on being "as wise as serpents, and as harmless as doves".
When confronted with an ugly situation it never hurst to be clever.

Disseminate, act stupid, ask pointless questions, there are lots of things you can do when not wanting to divulge any particularly
harmful bit of information. One need not lie when there are so many other ways of dealing with things.

Never limit your options, by doing so you are enabling your enemy.

i.e.
deranged son-in-law - "is Mary here?"
me - "Mary who?"
deranged son-in-law - "you know who, lemme in"
me - "what would make you think she's here?"
deranged son-in-law - "lemme in or I break down the door"
me - "first one through the door gets shot dead, and the cops are on their way"

See, no lying.
Well this is as much a lie as just saying "no" in fact its more dishonest in ways because it represents the actions of hypocrisy that attempts to condemn others by a standard one does not really keep themselves. This is the way Pharisees lie...

Look any of you folks need a good place to hide from the mob or from killers etc..you better be looking up ole Mitspa..I will help you and God is not judging me by the written code but by His commandment to love. Now I don't lie and appears I am about 10 times more honest than some of you who are claiming to uphold the written code!

Look any of you folks need a good place to hide from the mob or from killers etc..you better be looking up ole Mitspa..I will help you and God is not judging me by the written code but by His commandment to love. Now I don't lie and appears I am about 10 times more honest than some of you who are claiming to uphold the written code!

LOL!...........Now that is funny and I don't care who you are! You can come to my house too!!!!

Well this is as much a lie as just saying "no" in fact its more dishonest in ways because it represents the actions of hypocrisy that attempts to condemn others by a standard one does not really keep themselves. This is the way Pharisees lie...

I can see that find find this troublesome, I do not see how you find this to be hypocrisy.
I did not in any way condemn any one. What standard are you referring to?

Obviously he sees her car in the drive way, or else why would he be showing up to my house. He brings a gun, because he knows I have a gun. No point in lying, as it won't help the situation. Heres how to handle the situation, if he is able to make it over my black rod iron fence:

1. Have daughter hide in secret "panic room" that we never told husband about because he's obviously not in the circle of trust.

2. Call the cops and let them know I'm about to exercise the stand your ground law.

3. Release the rottweilers

4. Use combat skills to remove gun

5. Handcuff him with ziptie

Then when he asks me if she is home, I will say yes but he can't talk to her at the moment. No lying necessary.

That is a unique way to not answer the situation IMO.

And it also says that you have never been in one of those life threating situations.

Had you been in Europe during WW2 would you have told the Nazis where the Jews were hiding?
"Well they asked and I could not tell a lie."

Ro 2:23 You who make your boast in the law, do you dishonor God through breaking the law?

If you break one commandment you break them all and are guilty of them all...Does anyone here claim to keep the 10 Commandments...because I have a few questions for you...Then we will see if you "lie"?

That is a unique way to not answer the situation IMO.

And it also says that you have never been in one of those life threating situations.

Come on major you know that was a good answer. And of course I've never been in that situation I'm not old enough.

But honestly I don't see how a person could get away with lying and saying she's not there is the guy can see the car in the driveway.

Lets be clear here, we are talking about the commandment "thou shalt not bear false witness" and that some are claiming they keep this commandment by the "letter" meaning its strictest legalistic standard. That would include the keeping of all the other Commandments as well by their strictest standard according to the "letter"... Now does anyone really claim to keep this commandment according to the written code?

Rom 3:4 By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written, "That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged."
Rom 3:5 But if our unrighteousness serves to show the righteousness of God, what shall we say? That God is unrighteous to inflict wrath on us? (I speak in a human way.)
Rom 3:6 By no means! For then how could God judge the world?
Rom 3:7 But if through my lie God's truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner?
Rom 3:8 And why not do evil that good may come?--as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just.

The Apostles were being slandered as telling people it is OK to do evil so that good may come out of it, which is totally false!!
There were people who thought since God is glorified because he shows his mercy and grace on those who do not deserve it, then why not go all out and do evil so that good may come.
If we do evil and lie so that God is glorified through our lie how then God going to be able to judge the world when are doing the same thing?

I would say the Lord really does not want us to worry about tomorrow and what it brings. Since he knows all things that are going to happen before they do, we can rest in knowing what ever information we need, at the exact right time it will be there to confound our enemies. It might not save us from being hurt, but it would save us by having our conscience clear that we did the right thing.
The problem here it that the law 10 commandments is made to make all guilty before God, its the ministry of condemnation! Anyone who is trying to keep a clear conscience by keeping the law is in self-righteousness and hypocrisy. That no one is justified in the sight of God by the law is evident!

Rom 3:4 By no means! Let God be true though every one were a liar, as it is written, "That you may be justified in your words, and prevail when you are judged."
Rom 3:5 But if our unrighteousness serves to show the righteousness of God, what shall we say? That God is unrighteous to inflict wrath on us? (I speak in a human way.)
Rom 3:6 By no means! For then how could God judge the world?
Rom 3:7 But if through my lie God's truth abounds to his glory, why am I still being condemned as a sinner?
Rom 3:8 And why not do evil that good may come?--as some people slanderously charge us with saying. Their condemnation is just.

The Apostles were being slandered as telling people it is OK to do evil so that good may come out of it, which is totally false!!
There were people who thought since God is glorified because he shows his mercy and grace on those who do not deserve it, then why not go all out and do evil so that good may come.
If we do evil and lie so that God is glorified through our lie how then God going to be able to judge the world when are doing the same thing?
Who is promoting evil? Those who promote hypocrisy! Trying to save the life the innocent is not evil but good!

So what some would say is that they had rather see some innocent person die than to give up their self-righteousness. This is not love this is self-centered hypocrisy that God hates above all things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back