Worship through music

Grant Melville, please read this, as your beliefs are in line with the Church of Christ sect:

http://www.jesusmyglory.net/FALSE_DOCTRINES_REFUTED.html
I've read it, and I find the author's arguments in favour of musical instruments purely to be based on a criticism of the apparent inconsistencies of others, and not on the scriptures. The idea that sung psalms have to be accompanied by musical instruments is the mind of man and rationalism at work. There are sects of Christendom in which the only music is the Biblical Psalms, sung without musical accompaniment. Of course, I don't see the scriptural basis for that either. Psalms are the result of experience, and we each have our own psalms: we don't simply have to repeat portions of the Old Testament set to music. As for the rest of the article, I don't think it even needs to be refuted, considering its weakness. That sort of thinking really is dangerous, reasoning from the mind of man and not from knowledge of divine things.

I don't know about this so-called Church of Christ, and I don't agree with holding sectarian ground, which is unscriptural.

Yes, it is based on scripture. God inhabits our praise. His presence appears and is experienced by His people. Any spiritual entity which tries to hinder us is thwarted! Scripture affirms it in the story of Saul and David. Perhaps you'd best look it up and revisit it.

Mood and emotions are all a part of us just as the rest of us---all our body parts and the abstract parts of our makeup---and Holy Spirit, our indweller, has access to and affects it ALL. It appears to me you have been taught to regard the normal functioning of emotions and mood as carnal, and separate from the working of Holy Spirit in them, and therefore something to eschew and even fear. That couldn't be further from the truth.

The Spirit-filled and Spirit-led Christian doesn't have to fear the emotional or mental parts of ourselves! We can embrace them, knowing the the Lord Jesus Christ permeates our whole being, and we as new creatures (with a new natural!) in Christ need not fear the proper functioning of our emotions in worship!
Again... I have to ask for the scriptural basis for these ideas. What I know of the word of God teaches the precise opposite.

The case of David and Saul, which I was reading about in 1 Samuel just now, is certainly an interesting one. David exhibits great grace. He repeatedly extends an opportunity to Saul to overcome the evil which would finally overcome him completely. It shows the moral greatness of David (Christ in type), that he was able to help even Saul. It's an extraordinary incident and (it should be noted) a unique one. Is this a general principle? No. It teaches us about a general principle, about grace, and how we should extend grace to someone in Saul's position, how we should respect dignities, even when their conduct and spirit is not right, because God has appointed every authority. But this incident isn't repeated, neither in the Old Testament or the New. God spoke to Moses from a burning bush, and He parted the Red Sea and rolled back the Jordan, He soothed the spirit of a king by the harp-playing of a shepherd. These unique incidents are wonderful displays of the many attributes of God - His power, His grace, His mercy, His faithfulness. But, as general principle, should we expect bushes to burn and not be consumed, and seas to part, and rivers to roll back? I don't think we would, any more than we should expect harp music to drive out an evil spirit.

I've read it, and I find the author's arguments in favour of musical instruments purely to be based on a criticism of the apparent inconsistencies of others, and not on the scriptures. The idea that sung psalms have to be accompanied by musical instruments is the mind of man and rationalism at work. There are sects of Christendom in which the only music is the Biblical Psalms, sung without musical accompaniment. Of course, I don't see the scriptural basis for that either. Psalms are the result of experience, and we each have our own psalms: we don't simply have to repeat portions of the Old Testament set to music. As for the rest of the article, I don't think it even needs to be refuted, considering its weakness. That sort of thinking really is dangerous, reasoning from the mind of man and not from knowledge of divine things.

I don't know about this so-called Church of Christ, and I don't agree with holding sectarian ground, which is unscriptural.

"sung psalms" do not HAVE to be accompanied by instruments, but they most often ARE. Psalms are not just songs to be sung, but music to be played. God has ordained it to be so!

It is obvious we do not need to be plagued with what certain sects do. We are free in Jesus Christ to worship God in any way the Spirit leads, even if it with spoons on our knees.

What is really dangerous is the closed up views of those like yourself who want to put God in a box. He will NOT stay there.

Again... I have to ask for the scriptural basis for these ideas. What I know of the word of God teaches the precise opposite.

The word of God does NOT teach the opposite!

The case of David and Saul, which I was reading about in 1 Samuel just now, is certainly an interesting one. David exhibits great grace. He repeatedly extends an opportunity to Saul to overcome the evil which would finally overcome him completely. It shows the moral greatness of David (Christ in type), that he was able to help even Saul. It's an extraordinary incident and (it should be noted) a unique one. Is this a general principle? No. It teaches us about a general principle, about grace, and how we should extend grace to someone in Saul's position, how we should respect dignities, even when their conduct and spirit is not right, because God has appointed every authority. But this incident isn't repeated, neither in the Old Testament or the New. God spoke to Moses from a burning bush, and He parted the Red Sea and rolled back the Jordan, He soothed the spirit of a king by the harp-playing of a shepherd. These unique incidents are wonderful displays of the many attributes of God - His power, His grace, His mercy, His faithfulness. But, as general principle, should we expect bushes to burn and not be consumed, and seas to part, and rivers to roll back? I don't think we would, any more than we should expect harp music to drive out an evil spirit.

We are INSTRUMENTS of GOD'S GRACE. You are missing the truth by adhering to your own human understanding.

"sung psalms" do not HAVE to be accompanied by instruments, but they most often ARE. Psalms are not just songs to be sung, but music to be played. God has ordained it to be so!

It is obvious we do not need to be plagued with what certain sects do. We are free in Jesus Christ to worship God in any way the Spirit leads, even if it with spoons on our knees.

What is really dangerous is the closed up views of those like yourself who want to put God in a box. He will NOT stay there.

Euphemia, I apologise for the tone of my earlier reply. When I read it back it does sound a lot more brusque than I intended! I hope you'll forgive my bad manners.

In 1 Corinthians 14:26, Paul says that each of us has a psalm. By that, he doesn't mean that each of us should have memorised an Old Testament psalm, or that each of us is able to recite our experiences in a rhyming form. What he means is that each of us have something from God, formed in us as a result of experiences with Him. That can be expressed in a variety of ways - prayer, for example, or simply sharing an impression. These psalms needn't be connected with music at all. The Old Testament psalms, when they came by the inspiration of the Holy Spirit to the writers, were written down. They weren't immediately sung, they were written, often to the Chief Musician. Likewise, our psalms are expressed, and the Chief Musician, that is the Lord Jesus, takes them up - the music is His, not our doing.

If we follow scripture, we're in no danger of putting God in a box - He leads into His own ordering, the ways which are most deeply pleasing to Him. You might say that God puts US in HIS box - but what an expansive, limitless box it is! Walking in line with the revealed mind of God will lead us into ever expanding vistas.

Last edited:
The word of God does NOT teach the opposite!

We are INSTRUMENTS of GOD'S GRACE. You are missing the truth by adhering to your own human understanding.
I think if we look at the broad scope of the Old and New Testaments, we can see the contrast between Jewish and Christian worship. Those who insist on musical instruments in the assembly say that those of us who hold this truth are resting our case on the silence of the New Testament scripture. That couldn't be further from the truth - it's from the positive, blessed affirmation of the new covenant in Jesus that we understand these things.

We are instruments. Yes! That's exactly it! All the instruments of the Old Testament, in their stunning variety, are answered to in the antitype of the saints of the assembly. Stringed instruments in particular speak of assembly praise - many strings, many voices, all engaged with the one object, and played with divine skill of the true David, the sweet Psalmist of Israel. How wonderful it is to be an instrument of praise! A vessel serviceable to the Master (2 Timothy 2:21) ready to be filled by the Spirit and then poured out in presence of God.

Perhaps it would be helpful to look at worship in the assembly as God sees it.

God looks for worship in the spirits of His own, His people. He is a heart-knowing God who looks for response from the heart. It doesn't need to come into outward expression for Him to take account of it and enjoy it fully.

So, why do we need an outward expression of worship in the assembly? We get the outward expression of worship in 1 Corinthians 14:26:
"What is it then, brethren? whenever ye come together, each of you has a psalm, has a teaching, has a tongue, has a revelation, has an interpretation. Let all things be done to edification." There is a wonderful thought of liberty here: "whenever" "each of you". We are all priests to God, all near worshippers of God, and each of us is fully equipped with the elements of worship. There is an outward expression of these things. Why is that, if God knows the heart and can enjoy silent worship? "Let all things be done to edification." Worship expressed in the assembly is for edification, it builds up the saints and develops more precious features of Christ in the assembly, further preparation of the bride. Spiritual gifts all contribute to edification, to the building of the spiritual building which is the assembly.

Now, what we have to ask ourselves, quite honestly, is whether music, art, dancing, or whatever else, are edifying? The answer would have to be no, they do not build us up spiritually - and that's the reason why these things are never mentioned as expressions of worship in the assembly. "Let all things be done to edification." If anyone has any doubts about how important edification in the assembly is in the purposes of God, we only need to look to 1 Corinthians 14:27-28:

"If any one speak with a tongue, let it be two, or at the most three, and separately, and let one interpret; but if there be no interpreter, let him be silent in the assembly, and let him speak to himself and to God."

"If there be no interpreter, let him be silent in the assembly..." In other words, if it won't edify, then let it remain inward. Nothing is to come into expression in the assembly that is not for edification of the assembly.
After he says all these things, Paul concludes, "For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the assemblies of the saints." (1 Corinthians 14:33). If it's disorderly, then it doesn't reflect the divine character - and that character is to be imprinted on every local assembly. There was to be variation, no deviation from the divine order, the revealed mind of God as to the assembly.

Edification is hugely important. When the edification of the assembly is complete, when the bride is fully prepared, when the last stitch of the wedding garment has been sewn by the Spirit... then the Lord will come to take us home. That is why Paul says, "Let all things be done to edification". Paul has the Lord's interests at heart, and the Lord is deeply, intimately interested in the edification of the assembly. Is it any wonder that this is key to how we conduct ourselves when we come together? Is it any wonder that anything that would distract from or hinder the building work is excluded from the gatherings of the saints? The Lord Jesus says "I come quickly". The Spirit is preparing His bride. Esther, as a shining type of the assembly "required nothing but what Hegai the king's chamberlain, keeper of the women, appointed. And Esther obtained grace in the sight of all them that saw her." (Esther 2:15). What a testimony the assembly is! Requiring nothing but what the Spirit would adorn her with, she obtains grace in the sight of all that see her. We know there can be no deficiency with the Holy Spirit. We need nothing else other than what He provides.

I am happy and blessed to worship with an assembly who comes together to worship God in all ways, including music that He has placed in the hearts of people, set to words the Spirit of God gives!

I look at it as God sees it!

Ecclesiastes 9:10a
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might,

I am happy and blessed to worship with an assembly who comes together to worship God in all ways, including music that He has placed in the hearts of people, set to words the Spirit of God gives!

I look at it as God sees it!

Ecclesiastes 9:10a
Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might,
It's important to bear in mind that God cannot lie. Therefore He cannot contradict His written word. If He has said that all things should be done to edification, how can He contradict Himself by calling on His people to bring in things that are not edifying? That is, the art and labour of man. Only the Spirit edifies, nothing else can. A spiritual building can only be constructed with spiritual materials, by a spiritual Builder. Anything else introduced will be in vain, as 1 Corinthians 3:11-15 teaches us:

"For other foundation can no man lay besides that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any one build upon this foundation, gold, silver, precious stones, wood, grass, straw, the work of each shall be made manifest; for the day shall declare it, because it is revealed in fire; and the fire shall try the work of each what it is. If the work of any one which he has built upon the foundation shall abide, he shall receive a reward. If the work of any one shall be consumed, he shall suffer loss, but *he* shall be saved, but so as through the fire."

We need to examine the building materials we're working with. The wood, grass and straw of human art, invention and endeavour won't stand the test of the fire, and won't go on into eternity. Only the gold, silver and precious stones which are the work of the Spirit will stand.

Paul tells us, in 1 Corinthians 6:12, "All things are lawful to me, but all things do not profit; all things are lawful to me, but *I* will not be brought under the power of any." Nature's claims would not overpower Paul, because he had the testimony of Christ in his heart: that was far too important for self-indulgence. Later, he says again, "All things are lawful, but all are not profitable; all things are lawful, but all do not edify." (1 Corinthians 10:23). The unprofitable and the unedifying have no place in the assembly.

It's important to bear in mind that God cannot lie. Therefore He cannot contradict His written word. If He has said that all things should be done to edification, how can He contradict Himself by calling on His people to bring in things that are not edifying? That is, the art and labour of man. Only the Spirit edifies, nothing else can. A spiritual building can only be constructed with spiritual materials, by a spiritual Builder. Anything else introduced will be in vain, as 1 Corinthians 3:11-15 teaches us:

"For other foundation can no man lay besides that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. Now if any one build upon this foundation, gold, silver, precious stones, wood, grass, straw, the work of each shall be made manifest; for the day shall declare it, because it is revealed in fire; and the fire shall try the work of each what it is. If the work of any one which he has built upon the foundation shall abide, he shall receive a reward. If the work of any one shall be consumed, he shall suffer loss, but *he* shall be saved, but so as through the fire."

We need to examine the building materials we're working with. The wood, grass and straw of human art, invention and endeavour won't stand the test of the fire, and won't go on into eternity. Only the gold, silver and precious stones which are the work of the Spirit will stand.

Paul tells us, in 1 Corinthians 6:12, "All things are lawful to me, but all things do not profit; all things are lawful to me, but *I* will not be brought under the power of any." Nature's claims would not overpower Paul, because he had the testimony of Christ in his heart: that was far too important for self-indulgence. Later, he says again, "All things are lawful, but all are not profitable; all things are lawful, but all do not edify." (1 Corinthians 10:23). The unprofitable and the unedifying have no place in the assembly.

Everything done to the glory of God is edifying. It is GOD who does the edifying. By the leading of the Holy Spirit I can beat out a tune on pots and pans to the glory of God and it is all blessed---and anointed!

I think you have a problem with our physicality and serving God. You do not fully understand the scriptures you are using poorly to support yourself---especially 1 Corinthians 3. You are divorcing the fact that we are the temple of the Holy Spirit and that He lives within us, and He leads us in worship. If I pick up a ukelele and strum out a tune of joy while worshiping my Lord and Saviour, my Healer and my Deliverer, then it is all to the glory of God, and He revels in it and makes His presence known in it! Everything we do can be an offering of praise to God! The flesh of the redeemed is not carnal...the mind that dwells on the flesh is. apparently the "no-instruments" bunch consider any form of worship other than plain singing (in the assembly in worship where music is the focus at the time) is carnal. They've painted themselves into a corner, and they sure do miss out. I do believe heaven will be a real eye-opener. In the meantime, I experience a little bit of heaven, regularly.

Everything done to the glory of God is edifying. It is GOD who does the edifying. By the leading of the Holy Spirit I can beat out a tune on pots and pans to the glory of God and it is all blessed---and anointed!

I think you have a problem with our physicality and serving God. You do not fully understand the scriptures you are using poorly to support yourself---especially 1 Corinthians 3. You are divorcing the fact that we are the temple of the Holy Spirit and that He lives within us, and He leads us in worship. If I pick up a ukelele and strum out a tune of joy while worshiping my Lord and Saviour, my Healer and my Deliverer, then it is all to the glory of God, and He revels in it and makes His presence known in it! Everything we do can be an offering of praise to God! The flesh of the redeemed is not carnal...the mind that dwells on the flesh is. apparently the "no-instruments" bunch consider any form of worship other than plain singing (in the assembly in worship where music is the focus at the time) is carnal. They've painted themselves into a corner, and they sure do miss out. I do believe heaven will be a real eye-opener. In the meantime, I experience a little bit of heaven, regularly.

I'm finding it difficult to know how to respond to this. I say this with the deepest love and respect for you, my sister in Christ... but these remarks are quite confused. They're a combination of truth and error, which is worse than a complete untruth, because it's more convincing. I've asked, repeatedly, for the scriptural basis of these ideas, and none has been produced. There is no solid foundation for them, they're as unscriptural as the superstitions of the Roman Church.

I can't claim to know everything, or even to know very much at all. I acknowledge fully and wholeheartedly my weakness. That's why I know the importance - the vital importance - of dependence on the Holy Spirit and the word of God. I know that if doctrine is presented to me, I must, like the noble Bereans, search the scriptures to see that these things are so. This cannot involve simply picking out a verse to meet every situation or question which faces us as believers.

This has to be a comprehensive searching, immersing ourselves in the scriptures with the Holy Spirit as our Guide and Interpreter. We may not like the answers we get. They may not suit our natural tendencies. In fact, more often than not they'll cut across them. But we must always stand on the ground of the Word, however difficult that may be, however convincing the extra-Biblical doctrines which flourish in Christendom may seem, and however much my tastes might be gratified by the latest innovation.

If we do this, if we harken and obey, then we come into blessing. We get the present enjoyment of eternal life - heavenly life. What a life that is! What an experience we have at the Supper, when Christ is in the midst, leading the praises of the assembly to the Father! There's no experience like it, and the most joyous experiences of earth are poor and empty in comparison. My experience of it is undoubtedly small, in relation to my measure, but I have experienced it, and I can testify to the surpassing excellence of it. I can testify, beyond a shadow of doubt and with the full authority of the scriptures that Christ is sufficient. No work of man or human effort could possibly add to the praises which He leads, springing up in us by the Spirit, to God.

I'm finding it difficult to know how to respond to this. I say this with the deepest love and respect for you, my sister in Christ... but these remarks are quite confused. They're a combination of truth and error, which is worse than a complete untruth, because it's more convincing. I've asked, repeatedly, for the scriptural basis of these ideas, and none has been produced. There is no solid foundation for them, they're as unscriptural as the superstitions of the Roman Church.

I can't claim to know everything, or even to know very much at all. I acknowledge fully and wholeheartedly my weakness. That's why I know the importance - the vital importance - of dependence on the Holy Spirit and the word of God. I know that if doctrine is presented to me, I must, like the noble Bereans, search the scriptures to see that these things are so. This cannot involve simply picking out a verse to meet every situation or question which faces us as believers.

This has to be a comprehensive searching, immersing ourselves in the scriptures with the Holy Spirit as our Guide and Interpreter. We may not like the answers we get. They may not suit our natural tendencies. In fact, more often than not they'll cut across them. But we must always stand on the ground of the Word, however difficult that may be, however convincing the extra-Biblical doctrines which flourish in Christendom may seem, and however much my tastes might be gratified by the latest innovation.

If we do this, if we harken and obey, then we come into blessing. We get the present enjoyment of eternal life - heavenly life. What a life that is! What an experience we have at the Supper, when Christ is in the midst, leading the praises of the assembly to the Father! There's no experience like it, and the most joyous experiences of earth are poor and empty in comparison. My experience of it is undoubtedly small, in relation to my measure, but I have experienced it, and I can testify to the surpassing excellence of it. I can testify, beyond a shadow of doubt and with the full authority of the scriptures that Christ is sufficient. No work of man or human effort could possibly add to the praises which He leads, springing up in us by the Spirit, to God.

I am not confused, and do not, in this instance, mix truth with any error. Holy Spirit who lives in me has approved and certified what I am saying, which comes from not only knowing the word, but also knowing Him intimately. Walking in intimacy with God causes us to erupt at times in peals of worship, including shouts, songs, dances and leaps...among other God-approved and God-inspired and provoked expressions!

Do not fear.

I am not confused, and do not, in this instance, mix truth with any error. Holy Spirit who lives in me has approved and certified what I am saying, which comes from not only knowing the word, but also knowing Him intimately. Walking in intimacy with God causes us to erupt at times in peals of worship, including shouts, songs, dances and leaps...among other God-approved and God-inspired and provoked expressions!

Do not fear.
I was reading the whole of 1 Corinthians 14 just now. It gives us an important insight into what we're discussing.

Paul writes: "Thus *ye* also, since ye are desirous of spirits, seek that ye may abound for the edification of the assembly." (1 Corinthians 14:12). The desired end is edification, by the Spirit. Paul calls musical instruments "lifeless things" - "Even lifeless things, giving a sound, whether pipe or harp..." (1 Corinthians 14:7). The assembly should be characterised by life and growth. Lifeless things have no place there, surely?

I was never taught, by the means of written or spoken doctrine, that musical instruments have no place in the assembly. After I realised that that was true, I did come across a pamphlet or two which were confirming. But it was the scriptures themselves, opened up by the Holy Spirit which really taught me this truth directly. The brethren with whom I walk in fellowship don't use musical instruments in the assembly. I never thought anything of it when I was younger, but as I got older I began to question things, as we all tend to do. I looked around and saw other Christians going to churches where there was an organ, or guitar-playing, or a so-called worship band. I wondered why they had these things, but we didn't. So, I looked to the scriptures, and read the Acts and the Epistles and looked for mention of the use of musical instruments in connection with the assembly, and I couldn't find any such references. Still, I was puzzled. Why weren't there references to it in the word of God regarding the assembly, when so many believers were doing it? Then I learned about spiritual gifts and edification. I saw the theme that runs through the teaching of scripture about these things. It took me a long time to realise that we don't gather together in assembly to be entertained. It isn't a place where nature goes to be fed (1 Corinthians 11:22). It's a place where the work of God in every believer can be built upon, and the great unified structure that is the assembly can grow (Ephesians 2:19-22). (Of course, edification happens at other times in our individual lives, but there's something particularly choice about what's collective, see Psalm 133:1). However, just because the assembly is a place for edification and not entertainment, that doesn't mean it's a sombre, dull gathering. Sober, I would say, but not sombre. Joy characterises it, and liberty before God. In our gatherings there is consolation, peace, comfort, enjoyment. Every spiritual gift should be exercised, in a peaceful and orderly way. We can write across it, "Let all be done to edification". Edification should be dear to us. We should desire it, for ourselves and for our brethren. We should be careful that nothing is allowed to come in that would displace it, or grieve the Holy Spirit.

I was reading the whole of 1 Corinthians 14 just now. It gives us an important insight into what we're discussing.

Paul writes: "Thus *ye* also, since ye are desirous of spirits, seek that ye may abound for the edification of the assembly." (1 Corinthians 14:12). The desired end is edification, by the Spirit. Paul calls musical instruments "lifeless things" - "Even lifeless things, giving a sound, whether pipe or harp..." (1 Corinthians 14:7). The assembly should be characterised by life and growth. Lifeless things have no place there, surely?

You have overthought the entire matter. Of course horns and flutes and drums are all lifeless! Paul is talking about the special gifts and abilities we receive from Holy Spirit, and how He edifies us and in turn we in the pure operation of said gifts and abilities do edify each other and ourselves. These things, including worshiping God with melodious praise through the employment of musical instruments, produce edification, but most of all, and most importantly, brings glory and adoration to God, which He revels in and in so doing, His presence is literally experienced. All this together brings powerful life and growth to the Body.

I was never taught, by the means of written or spoken doctrine, that musical instruments have no place in the assembly.

You weren't taught it because it isn't the truth. Stay away from pamphlets. They have an agenda and it seems like legalism at the base of it, to me.

Colossians 3:16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

As long as you "do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him", you do well.

3:23And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.

Of course horns and flutes and drums are all lifeless! Paul is talking about the special gifts and abilities we receive from Holy Spirit, and how He edifies us and in turn we in the pure operation of said gifts and abilities do edify each other and ourselves.
Yes, I can agree with that. That's entirely in line with the scripture.

These things, including worshiping God with melodious praise through the employment of musical instruments, produce edification, but most of all, and most importantly, brings glory and adoration to God, which He revels in and in so doing, His presence is literally experienced. All this together brings powerful life and growth to the Body.
There is no scriptural basis whatsoever for claiming that instrumental music edifies - and how could it? Only the work of the Holy Spirit can bring about edification, and playing a musical instrument is the work of a man's hands. Whatever else might be going on at the time, the playing itself is not edifying. Years ago, I was talking to a believer about this subject, and he said to me, "Hearing a musical instrument played skilfully edifies me". That's always stayed with, because I found it deeply saddening. That's the remark of someone who has no clear idea of what edification is. If I listen to an orchestra played a piece by Wagner with great skill, does that edify me? If the same orchestra played the tune to 'Amazing Grace', would that edify me?

Colossians 3:16Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord. 17And whatsoever ye do in word or deed, do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him.

As long as you "do all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God and the Father by him", you do well.
The scripture quoted here is set in a chapter which describes our general mode of life, rather than assembly conditions specifically. (Although we should be consistent, in or out of assembly conditions). All these things should characterise us, whatever circumstances we find ourselves in. All our words and deeds should be governed by the "putting off" and the "putting on" spoken of earlier in the chapter, whatever we may do, whether at work, at home, in Christian company, in the assembly. It's a test to do all things in the name of the Lord Jesus - it makes us think about what we're doing and whether it's consistent with that precious and holy Name. It doesn't give us licence to do whatever we like, provided it's in His Name - rather the opposite. It brings us into subjection to Him, whatever we do in word and deed should be of a character that could be associated with the Name. I feel, for myself, if I applied this to myself more rigorously, I wouldn't do and say a lot of the things I might carelessly do now. Likewise, we ought to give thanks to God the Father by Him, whatever our circumstances: whether we're sitting down to a meal, or getting up in the morning, or going to bed at night, or going to work, or going to the gathering. All these things we can trace to His good hand.

We should realise that the assembly isn't a place where we do exactly as we please - this even applies to the exercise of spiritual gifts: "If any one speak with a tongue, let it be two, or at the most three, and separately, and let one interpret; but if there be no interpreter, let him be silent in the assembly, and let him speak to himself and to God." (1 Corinthians 14:28). The apostle gives such detailed instruction, even down to the number of people who should speak in tongues or prophecy, and how they should do these things. "For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the assemblies of the saints." (1 Corinthians 14:33). If the meeting is disorderly or chaotic, then it doesn't reflect the divine nature.

3:23And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ.
This scripture is set in a passage describing our natural relationships with one another, and how we should fill them out rightly. Paul speaks to wives, husbands, children, fathers, and then bondmen (or servants). The verses quoted here are set in the last section, and refer to a servant's work, not to our position of privilege in the assembly. "Whatsoever ye do" means "Whatsoever ye labour at", whether it's waiting tables, digging ditches, typing documents, or managing a team of staff.

There is no scriptural basis whatsoever for claiming that instrumental music edifies - and how could it?

How can it NOT??? Yes, instrumental music edifies the Body, because when offered up to God in praise and adoration, God is blessed and He blesses us.

Only the work of the Holy Spirit can bring about edification, and playing a musical instrument is the work of a man's hands.

Not in a person led by Holy Spirit to do so!

Whatever else might be going on at the time, the playing itself is not edifying. Years ago, I was talking to a believer about this subject, and he said to me, "Hearing a musical instrument played skilfully edifies me". That's always stayed with, because I found it deeply saddening. That's the remark of someone who has no clear idea of what edification is. If I listen to an orchestra played a piece by Wagner with great skill, does that edify me? If the same orchestra played the tune to 'Amazing Grace', would that edify me?

Why was that "saddening"? You don't understand what edification is. God is pleased to edify us through the many gifts and talents we employ to glorify Him. Your limiting Him in us is very troubling, and is very much in keeping with a strong legalistic bent. My hope for you is that Holy Spirit will open your heart and mind to His empowerment and the Father's immense and limitless love for you that you will not be able to stay seated but jump for joy---and if you cannot play an instrument, that you will discover a whole new desire to enter into worship with the helps of instruments---something that God has ordained and ordered within His own sanctuary since the beginning. Even Lucifer was the Archangel in charge of musical worship in heaven...his body was created with built-in pipes and instruments. So, instruments are important to God in worship, and even today, at the end of the Church Age, they still are important to Him. He revels in all music offered up to Him, and so should we!

If five loaves and two fishes offered up to the Lord's use was more than sufficient, certainly a few strings that we vibrate to His glory is also. If some perfumed oil poured over Jesus is a blessing to the Lord, surely a piece of Spirit-inspired music played on the piano for Him is acceptable!

In Christ, we are free. Spend some time with God and allow Him to break your chains.

Back