Worship through music

Do we have to get rid of the pews and pulpit and church buildings? None of these are in the New Testament. I guess we can only meet in people's houses as the early church did. <sarcasm>
Please not the one I am in now. very small 1 bedroom with 3 people. Yikes rofln and the spot by the slider window on the living room floor is mine. ;)

As Grant said, the measurement of what is allowed in a worship service is qualified as what edifies and builds up the Church. There are long lists in the Epistles of what is not allowed, and most of them are descriptive in nature and not specific "things". Such as idolatry, drunkenness, lying, etc. basically the Ten Commandments illustrated.

Do we have to get rid of the pews and pulpit and church buildings? None of these are in the New Testament. I guess we can only meet in people's houses as the early church did. <sarcasm>

Sarcasm or no... if that is the only place you can find truth? Could you clarify what you mean because I don't know that all buildings, pulpits or pews these days are talking what believers need to hear. Just sayin'

I think we would have to stretch גִּיל a good deal to apply it to God in that way, i.e. "to spin round (under the influence of any violent emotion)". Did the Lord comport Himself in that way? He gives us a perfect, full and complete Example, the revelation of God and perfection in a Man. Typical scriptures speak of His "stately step", He was "comely in going" (Proverbs 30:29).

Yes, as God spins and leaps with joy over us, according to the several words for joy used in the scriptures (His words!), we are also called to and even commanded to do the same. Once we are made aware of this, there is no excuse to refrain from it.

**Remember** "Violence" does NOT always indicate negative emotion like rage. We need to always make sure we are aware of the word usage in scripture rather than always applying our 21st century connotations---which would be unwise.

Just as in Matthew 11:12, the word "violence" and "violent" refers to the forceful advancement of the Kingdom of God and that the forceful are those who manage to seize hold of it.

Matthew 11:12
From the time of John the Baptizer until now, the kingdom of heaven has been forcefully advancing, and forceful people have been seizing it.

The teaching we get in Hebrews is this, "For if that first was faultless, place had not been sought for a second." (Hebrews 8:7). What was good enough for those under the Old Covenant, isn't good enough for those of the New. Everything we have is superior to what they had. They had shadows, we have Christ.

Yes, we do have Christ. That has nothing to do with how we are commanded to worship Him. Why indeed, if you use this tack, do you wax soulful on the wave and heave offerings? It's a puzzler.

Jesus Christ fulfills for us all that was in the Old Covenant. Does that mean we must be more reserved in our expression of joy before the Lord? Hardly---in fact, we have more to be joyful about! So, we need to be doing it.

Again...what dance are we talking about? the hora? And again - the Israelites did not have the indwelt Holy Spirit and so wherever they assembled...it would be just them.....and if there is no dancing in the tabernacle/temple, where they gathered for worship....why would you interpet it to mean there is a "command" to dance? If it was interpreted as a command in those days - why did it not become a part of temple or synagogue worship? You can say a whirlwind appears to dance...that is an idiom. They danced around the golden calf.....look what happened. Define how they danced in David's time. It appears to me that this is an idiom to show joy....not waltz.

It is written in the imperative...therefore it is a command. God doesn't desire for us to edit.

I still do not see where or how you see this as a command from God. Help me see it please.
Thank you sis
God BlessJim

A rudimentary understanding of the English language will tell anyone that the verse in question was written in the imperative tense, which makes it a command. The question is now that we have been made aware of it: Do we obey it or do we use carnal reason to disobey?

Sarcasm or no... if that is the only place you can find truth? Could you clarify what you mean because I don't know that all buildings, pulpits or pews these days are talking what believers need to hear. Just sayin'
Agreed. What I meant was that if the only things allowed in worship are what is listed in the NT, then all the physical standards (church building and its contents and property) of what most people would consider the church's meeting place, would need to be given up. The early church had none of these things.
What I am saying is just because something, like music, is not specifically listed in the NT, does not mean it is to be excluded. Puppets in a puppet show is not listed either, but it is a great way to teach children and include them in worship of God.

Agreed. What I meant was that if the only things allowed in worship are what is listed in the NT, then all the physical standards (church building and its contents and property) of what most people would consider the church's meeting place, would need to be given up. The early church had none of these things.
What I am saying is just because something, like music, is not specifically listed in the NT, does not mean it is to be excluded. Puppets in a puppet show is not listed either, but it is a great way to teach children and include them in worship of God.

I have no problem with music being part of the worship - I find I am drawing a line at dancing. Singing is mentioned in the NT, btw (Act_16:25 And at midnight Paul and Silas prayed, and sang praises unto God: and the prisoners heard them.). To me, that is not the point - we can do without pews, songs, pulpits as long as we have love of God. That is, in fact, God's highest preference, that we bring to worship. Some of us can't sing/play an instrument/have a sense of rythmn but we can all love/honor/hold in awe Yahweh Elohim. I can see myself, undistracted in worship where there is music or musical instrument or none of these. Can't say the same for dancing.

A rudimentary understanding of the English language will tell anyone that the verse in question was written in the imperative tense, which makes it a command. The question is now that we have been made aware of it: Do we obey it or do we use carnal reason to disobey?
So you say a limited to basic understanding of the english language.
Ya know I like the way you used to write before you became a staff helper. :whistle::p:D
So you say a basic understanding of the english language says that this psalm that was spoken by david is requirement or an order.

Now then show us please......
God Bless

I believe the scripture has been given, Psalm 149 and if we go by Euphemia's misuse of imperative, every verse in the bible with "be" could be considered a command by God, obviously including "not be". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperative_mood

Psa 149:1 Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.
Psa 149:2 Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.
Psa 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
Psa 149:4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.
Psa 149:5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.
Psa 149:6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
Psa 149:7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
Psa 149:8 To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;
Psa 149:9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

I believe the scripture has been given, Psalm 149 and if we go by Euphemia's misuse of imperative, every verse in the bible with "be" could be considered a command by God, obviously including "not be". https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Imperative_mood

Psa 149:1 Praise ye the LORD. Sing unto the LORD a new song, and his praise in the congregation of saints.
Psa 149:2 Let Israel rejoice in him that made him: let the children of Zion be joyful in their King.
Psa 149:3 Let them praise his name in the dance: let them sing praises unto him with the timbrel and harp.
Psa 149:4 For the LORD taketh pleasure in his people: he will beautify the meek with salvation.
Psa 149:5 Let the saints be joyful in glory: let them sing aloud upon their beds.
Psa 149:6 Let the high praises of God be in their mouth, and a twoedged sword in their hand;
Psa 149:7 To execute vengeance upon the heathen, and punishments upon the people;
Psa 149:8 To bind their kings with chains, and their nobles with fetters of iron;
Psa 149:9 To execute upon them the judgment written: this honour have all his saints. Praise ye the LORD.

I haven't misused the scripture.

Psalm 150
Praise the Lord!
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens!
2 Praise him for his mighty deeds;
praise him according to his excellent greatness!

3 Praise him with trumpet sound;
praise him with lute and harp!
4 Praise him with tambourine and dance;
praise him with strings and pipe!
5 Praise him with sounding cymbals;
praise him with loud clashing cymbals!

6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord!

Back