Why Muhammad Is Not In Deut. 18:18, Isaiah 29:12, Song of Solomon and John 14-16 Like Muslims Claim

Nintentacle

Inactive
If you do not know, there are Muslims that attempt to claim that their prophet, Muhammad, is mention in the Torah and Gospel. Why? Because the Qur'an says he is in there! Take a look at Sura 7:157 (Shown in a few English translations of the Qur'an)

Sahih International - "Those who follow the Messenger, the unlettered prophet, whom they find written in what they have of the Torah and the Gospel"

Muhsin Khan - Those who follow the Messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write (i.e.Muhammad SAW) whom they find written with them in the Taurat (Torah) (Deut, xviii, 15) and the Injeel (Gospel) (John xiv, 16)

(Note: I am addressing the parts the Muhsin Khan says)

Pickthall - "Those who follow the messenger, the Prophet who can neither read nor write, whom they will find described in the Torah and the Gospel (which are) with them"

Yusuf Ali - "Those who follow the messenger, the unlettered Prophet, whom they find mentioned in their own (scriptures),- in the law and the Gospel"

Shakir - "Those who follow the Messenger-Prophet, the Ummi, whom they find written down with them in the Taurat and the Injeel"

The reason I put down multiple translations is because Muslims love to claim "You don't know Arabic!" when I say something about the Qur'an: Showing various translations, and seeing how they agree with each other helps show that they were right.

Anyway, seeing that their "Holy" book claims this, they've clearly been trying to affirm it. So, as you can see by the thread title, they've claimed , , , and (More things as well, but I'm just touching these) confirm Sura 7:157.

Deuteronomy 18:18

Deuteronomy 18:18 says: "I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him."

So, is it Muhammad? Without looking out of context, It's possible, but this part has a context. Moses says a prophecy in verse 15, and God affirms it in verse 18:

Verse 15: "The Lord thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee, of thy brethren, like unto me; unto him ye shall hearken"

Verse 18: "I will raise them up a Prophet from among their brethren, like unto thee, and will put my words in his mouth; and he shall speak unto them all that I shall command him."

Did you catch that?

Moses tells Israel, "The Lord thy God will raise up unto thee a Prophet from the midst of thee"

Now, I'm no Bible Scholar, but this probably means "From the middle of Israel". This cannot apply to Muhammad, because he was born in Arabia, not Israel.

Isaiah 29:12

Secondly, quite a few Muslims claim prove Sura 7:157.

It (Isaiah 29:12) says: "And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned."

Not learned? Read the book? Muhammad confirmed?! Uhm... No. And here's why:

1. The verse is ripped right out of its context.

Here's what it says in context (Verses 10-14): "For the Lord hath poured out upon you the spirit of deep sleep, and hath closed your eyes: the prophets and your rulers, the seers hath he covered. And the vision of all is become unto you as the words of a book (Note: It's a comparison AS the words of a book) that is sealed, which men deliver (Note: The story in Islam is that an Angel appeared to Muhammad: This is speaking of men that are delivering a book) to one that is learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I cannot; for it is sealed: And the book is delivered to him that is not learned, saying, Read this, I pray thee: and he saith, I am not learned. Wherefore the Lord said, Forasmuch as this people draw near me with their mouth, and with their lips do honour me, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me is taught by the precept of men: Therefore, behold, I will proceed to do a marvellous work among this people, even a marvellous work and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid."

Is this a prophecy about a prophet? No! It's about a curse!

2. It's not in the Torah.

If you look at Sura 7:157 again, It's very clear that Muhammad is supposedly somewhere in the Torah, not in the entire Old Testament/Tanakh. The book of Isaiah is not in the Torah: It's in the Nevi'im.

Song of Solomon 5:16

Another verse brought up a lot is : "His mouth is most sweet: yea, he is altogether lovely. This is my beloved, and this is my friend, O daughters of Jerusalem."

The reason why they claim this is mentioning Muhammad is because the Hebrew word for "altogether lovely" sounds like "Muhammad"

1. This is not the Torah (Sura 7:157)

The Torah is the first 5 books of the Bible: Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy. This obviously does not include Song of Solomon

2. Language

I don't think It's a good idea to say, since something sounds like "Muhammad", that it is Muhammad. For example, if I made up a language, where the word for "Hello" sounded like "Jesus", if I said "Hello, how are you." in this language, would I be referring to Jesus? Of course not!

3. Prophecy?

In my opinion, this doesn't sound like a prophecy. Even if it was a prophecy about a prophet, it does not describe enough about any prophet to say "Oh, this is clearly *inserts prophet*!"

I will update with John 14-16. To make it short for now, without describing a lot: The description of the comforter do not fit Muhammad.

Back