Why does God allow evil? Is that even true?

The basis of sin IS pride, but not all pride is sinful.

Israel was to be the pride of the Lord.

Philippians 4:13 contains a deal of pride, even if it does recognize the source of abilities.
Philippians 4:13 (NASB)
I can do all things through Him who strengthens me.

In 2 Timothy 4:7 Paul renders an assessment of his own life that shows just pride.

2 Timothy 4:7(NASB)
I have fought the good fight, I have finished the course, I have kept the faith;

Sinful pride is an unwarranted positive personal assessment. Sometimes ones proper place in the world requires a positive self image. I could not imagine a surgeon, particularly a pediatric surgeon doing his work unless he has confidence in his own abilities (even when he knows his abilities stem from God).
Yes, one can have pride in their work, or their children feats, but sinful pride refuses to acknowledge God at all!

Evil already existed at the time of creation. Satan and his demons had already rebelled against God. I see this as essentially God giving man a choice as to who his God would be.

God instructed Adam not to eat of this tree, not to follow Satan's path, to seek after a false god.

So, I agree with Major that this was a test.
The greatness of the Lord God is that though God knew would have the fall, He had already planned to have the Cross of Christ as a solution to the problems of sin and evil, and that out end state would be greater and to His glory!

The greatness of the Lord God is that though God knew would have the fall, He had already planned to have the Cross of Christ as a solution to the problems of sin and evil, and that out end state would be greater and to His glory!
Perhaps even greater was the fact that He executed His plans, and as man suffered the humiliation, scorn, rejection and tortuous death of the Cross.

He didn't 1/2 (half/have) 2 (two/to)

He didn't 1/2 2 become 1 with us

He didn't 1/2 2 walk with us

He didn't 1/2 2 talk with us

He didn't 1/2 2 promise us

He didn't 1/2 2 plead with us

He didn't 1/2 2 put up with us.

He didn't 1/2 2 take our insults

He didn't 1/2 2 take our sin

He didn't 1/2 2 take our punishment

He didn't 1/2 2 take our spit

He didn't 1/2 2 forgive us.