Why can't I speak in tongues???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Michael, Scratching my head...my Shalom is not disrupted... I should have post a smiley... Maybe my questions sounded accusatory, but that was not the spirit I intended... : )
My Father says that not all will speak in tongues as not all will have all the other gifts. Only Jesus our Beloved had all the gifts of the Holy Spirit. I speak in tongues when He desires so... But I don't SEEK after it... Personally I prayed to have the gift of healing, since nearly everyone I know is ill in some way...But I flow in other gifts when He desires to move through me...

Thanks so much for clarifying . the internet is such a limited medium for communication .

And the Holy Spirit flows through me in a similar manner, there are many gifts and life is one of them .

some gifts seem like curses until you learn the reason for them . and some you just can't talk about .. sigh . hehe .

thank you again for clarifying . well met .

I'm logging off for now... so I am not ignoring anyone... I sure remember the wonderful friends I had here and the fellowship... If the Lord is willing maybe I can fellowship again since I can only sleep about 2 hours anyway... Dusty, I sure have some good memories of you and many others... I sometimes think of Whirlwind... Has anyone heard of him lately...His last post was so dark I hope he has been restored to the faith. Good Night!

I do not speak in tongues but I can fool anyone into believing that I can, short of an interpreter of tongues.

Thankyou Bill for your wise words!

It's hard when Believers see things differently. And it CAN so easily cause dissension. But why? "Love one another," was Jesus strong New Commandment. Because of God's agape in me by His Spirit, I can disagree with you, even most strongly, yet still love you, and demonstrate that love to you!

That said, I'm sorry to disagree with others about Bill's true statement above. I'm sure Bill's not a liar. Plus years ago here in Brisbane there was stuff on secular radio about tongues and a clearly unbelieving DJ spoke in 'tongues' on air to prove that anyone can. Likewise I had a relative who deliberately spoke in tongues simply to prove that he could.

Taking this further, in tongue-speaking churches folks speak or sing aloud in tongues, without any interpretation, in clear disobedience to God's command in: 1 Corinthians Ch 14:26b Let all things be done for edification. 27 If anyone speaks in a tongue, let there be two or at the most three, each in turn, and let one interpret. 28 But if there is no interpreter, let him keep silent in church, and let him speak to himself and to God. So tongues aloud in church HAVE to be interpreted, else the tongue-speaker MUST keep quiet!! This is the Word of God.

And in a church of, say, 1,000 tongue-speakers where are the interpreters? Seemingly absent. So does this throw further doubt as to whether all truly have the Holy Spirit Gift? - for If they did, there should be many interpreters also. Again my apologies for any hurt caused by the above - not my desire at all! It is simply God's Word.

I believe that it is also worthy of note that Paul placed Speaking in tongues so low on the list as well as commenting that the sign of tongues was a sign for the lost man to see, not for the Christian to lust after. (1Cor. 14:22)

This too is seemingly ignored in many tongue-speaking churches where tongues is such a big deal. Reading through ALL of 1 Corinthians Ch 14 - which everyone should - God clearly says through Paul that it's good to speak in tongues, but it should NOT be a big deal for the Believer - including why!

Above written solely because I desperately want to see us all loving our God enough to follow and obey His Word and not that of man.

Blessings and genuine love to all here!

- BM

I agree with bondman.
I have seen it in action with an interpreter, that was great.. but apart from that its never been big on my list of things and I have never really lusted to achieve it in any way shape or form.
I am more worried about other gifts that have benefit to people around me, rather than something like this.
God gave me a taste of spiritual discernment, it was a really amazing experience and one I have not shared.
But I really like to say that, rather than say I have a gift. God will show me what my gifts are in time, maybe spiritual discernment is one, or maybe it was just a taste of the Holy Spirit I was finally ready to see and accept to help build faith, I dont know, its happened a couple of time since and I have prayed for greater understanding of it, so we will see.

Anyway the point is, worry about gifts like this, because they have far more meaning than speaking in tongues

I've had the gift of tongues for just 27 years. First time I spoke it just 'happened' totally out of the blue, amazing me!

Only 2 people have ever heard my tongue - one was a pastor checking that it was of God and not of satan. So like Paul said in 1 Corinthians Ch 14, for me it is for edification, not public. I don't understand what I say - but God does!! - so clearly I don't have a gift of interpretation. Nor have I sought it.

My normal tongue sounds somewhere between Western European and Asian (Chinese/Japanese). But early on when this whole subject so intrigued me, I've spoken in quite different and most astonishing tongues.

I just use it gently and quietly. It's lovely, but not the most important thing in my Spiritual life by any means. Far more important are my Gift of Teaching and something of a Prophetic one also at times.

Being able to constantly be being filled to the brim with His Spirit (Eph. Ch 5:18b) - now that's what gets me going!!

- BM

Regarding 1st Corinthians 14,

As with all scripture i find it important to get as many perspectives on a passage as possible . because if you have not experienced How God does something in your life .. maybe you'll miss a subtle nuance . in my life i've noticed this pattern regarding 1st Corinthians Chapter 14

Verse 5 "He who prophesies is greater than one who speaks in tongues, unless he interprets" illustrates that people can interpret their own tongue .

Verse 10 "Undoubtedly there are all sorts of languages in the world, yet none of them is without meaning. "

So it is without a doubt that even your secret prayer language has a meaning . As was explained in the beginning of the chapter "For anyone who speaks in a tongue does not speak to men but to God. Indeed, no one understands him; he utters mysteries with his spirit." So if mysteries are being uttered . and they are being spoken to God, indeed there is a meaning . but you'd need to ask God about that .. and that's exactly what the scripture teaches .

Verse 13 says "For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says." the reason being building other people up also . I've experienced this and it is wild . so much fun too . There may be a gift of interpretation as mentioned in 1st Corinthians Chapter 12 .. but Paul has also revealed in His letter all can interpret through prayer .. i've heard the saying "all may prophesy but not all are prophets ." as the scripture says in Revelation 19:10 "the testimony of Jesus is the Spirit of Prophecy" and to Timothy, though it was not his gift "to do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of your ministry" so it seems to make sense from other gifts also .

So that's what i've found helpful regarding the gift of tongues . if you speak in tongues . then ask God the meaning . sit still in His presence . flip through the scriptures He leads you to . pray some more . and patiently wait as God translates His message to you . Remember that this gift, like prophecy, is designed to build up others in our most holy faith .

Love bless

-Michael.

There's a lot in 1 Corinthians Ch 14, and it's very important. Michael has highlighted some of the verses for us, and I don't have anything to add to what he's said. I hope he will allow me just a few words of clarification, perhaps especially for newer tongue-speakers.

Verse 13 says "For this reason anyone who speaks in a tongue should pray that he may interpret what he says." the reason being building other people up also .

Please don't miss where Michael said that praying for the gift of interpretation is for building up others, i.e., in context with v. 12 this instruction concerns a public church situation (not praying in tongues in private).

if you speak in tongues . then ask God the meaning . sit still in His presence . flip through the scriptures He leads you to . pray some more . and patiently wait as God translates His message to you .[

You can do all this if you wish. Sounds good! But it's not a Scriptural instruction. You don't have to know the meaning of your tongue, as you are speaking to God Who DOES! (But I do love all the things Michael set down there, cos interestingly they are also great to use to get to understand the Scriptures. Good one!)

"Lord, please bless us all in understanding every one of Your Scriptural truths of this topic. Thankyou!!"

- BM

I agree with bondman.
I have seen it in action with an interpreter, that was great.. but apart from that its never been big on my list of things and I have never really lusted to achieve it in any way shape or form.

I have to say there are different levels of speaking in tongues and the one you are talking about is more prophesy and mostly for the Body of Christ .

We have people in our church who have the gifting of that kind of tongues and interpretation . That is one of the giftings . Usually someone speaks in tongues and some one else interprets . This is very powerful and we have had people saved , restored , healed etc as well as an edification for the church.

I am more worried about other gifts that have benefit to people around me, rather than something like this.

Each one of us has been given a gifting and mine might not necessarily be the same as yours and visa versa and that's ok and we should not desire to have what others have but develope our own gifting that God has given us as we are all made differently and unique in our own way . ( we are fearfully and wonderfully made)

God gave me a taste of spiritual discernment, it was a really amazing experience and one I have not shared.

That's awesome and continue in that gifting . He has given that to you for a plan and a purpose

But I really like to say that, rather than say I have a gift. God will show me what my gifts are in time, maybe spiritual discernment is one, or maybe it was just a taste of the Holy Spirit I was finally ready to see and accept to help build faith, I dont know, its happened a couple of time since and I have prayed for greater understanding of it, so we will see.

As we walk daily in His light and follow His footsteps we desire a deeper more intimate relationship and isn't that what it is all about ?

Anyway the point is, worry about gifts like this, because they have far more meaning than speaking in tongues

I don't think any one is worried . I just think they are curious and wish to discuss the issues .

For me , I never worried about speaking in tongues and one day when I was deep in prayer and concentrating on the Lord for answers , the Holy Spirit just came and flooded my soul with His sweet presence with the evidence of speaking in tongues. Now that evidence is for my edification .... not for others ... and when another language flows from my lips , it is like a breath of Heaven and I know God is very close to me . I guess you might say it is more a confirmation.

We have people in our church who have the gifting of that kind of tongues and interpretation . That is one of the giftings . Usually someone speaks in tongues and some one else interprets . This is very powerful and we have had people saved , restored , healed etc as well as an edification for the church.[

How utterly wondrous, Dusty! Wow, you are blessed indeed! Mostly you see 300, 500, 1,000 or 2,000 people all speaking aloud in tongues at the same time (or singing, same thing), in stark disobedience to God's commands about this in 1 Corinthians Ch 14.

Paul warns in Ch 14 that if an unlearned or unbelieving person were to come in to see/hear this mêlée he'd think the people were all mad!! (Click) 1 Corinthians 14:23. Indeed! I can never forget my first such experience. A believer, but with no experience of tongues, I came into a building where over 1,000 people were all singing in tongues. It's utterly freaked me out! I wanted to run for my life and get out of the place...

Thing is, this should NEVER ever have happened to me! How can any of us have any respect for such churches - no matter how big or 'successful' they may be - when we see them living in such wilful disobedience of God's Word (I'm sure you've seen them on TV). Have they never actually READ 1 Cor Ch 14, or is it that they simply don't CARE?? And then how many OTHER things from Scripture are they also breaking?? (Mostly quite a number!)

The time is getting late. We simply HAVE to get back to the Bible, read what's there, and DO it! NOT trust man's word, for many will lead you astray, just as they have seriously gone astray!! VERY, VERY SERIOUS INDEED!!

Why can't I speak in tongues was asked? You can. And when you DO, please ensure you don't fall into the trap of churches like this.

- BM

There's a lot in 1 Corinthians Ch 14, and it's very important. Michael has highlighted some of the verses for us, and I don't have anything to add to what he's said. I hope he will allow me just a few words of clarification, perhaps especially for newer tongue-speakers.

Please don't miss where Michael said that praying for the gift of interpretation is for building up others, i.e., in context with v. 12 this instruction concerns a public church situation (not praying in tongues in private).

You can do all this if you wish. Sounds good! But it's not a Scriptural instruction. You don't have to know the meaning of your tongue, as you are speaking to God Who DOES! (But I do love all the things Michael set down there, cos interestingly they are also great to use to get to understand the Scriptures. Good one!)

"Lord, please bless us all in understanding every one of Your Scriptural truths of this topic. Thankyou!!"

- BM

I think you misunderstand what i said Bondman . what i said still stands by itself . and scriptural . furthermore . the scripture does say . one "should" pray so that he might interpret his tongue . it is an instruction on how to use the gift of tongues . i don't know how you get the idea how it isn't an instruction being one so emphatic about obedience . it would make sense that you would recognize an instruction when it appears in the text of scripture .

I would appreciate it in the future that you would not appear to agree with me and contradict what the scriptures actually say in trying to re-iterate your point of view which was different from mine . you already said your point of view . i said my point of view . mine is in the scripture clearly laid out . there is no need to take away from it . it is your duty in this case to ask God how this applies to you . not criticize my view because it is not your experience .

thank you Bondman .

I think you misunderstand what i said Bondman . what i said still stands by itself . and scriptural . furthermore . the scripture does say . one "should" pray so that he might interpret his tongue . it is an instruction on how to use the gift of tongues . i don't know how you get the idea how it isn't an instruction being one so emphatic about obedience . it would make sense that you would recognize an instruction when it appears in the text of scripture .

I would appreciate it in the future that you would not appear to agree with me and contradict what the scriptures actually say in trying to re-iterate your point of view which was different from mine . you already said your point of view . i said my point of view . mine is in the scripture clearly laid out . there is no need to take away from it . it is your duty in this case to ask God how this applies to you . not criticize my view because it is not your experience .

thank you Bondman .

Michael, I was trying to be caring of you and your post, and loving. But it seems I didn't succeed. Sorry!

I don't believe I misunderstood you. I didn't think that I 'contradicted' you as badly as that - I was mostly trying to draw people's attention to good things you'd said! As you feel your truth that you must write, clearly I have to do the same. But I'll try to do it a better way next time, and I sincerely apologise for doing things that you were not happy about this time.

and [you] contradict what the scriptures actually say in trying to re-iterate your point of view

Let me be very clear about the position I hold about the basic matter of TRUTH and the specific matter of contradicting what the Scriptures actually say. All my life I've endeavoured to read ALL Scriptures in context. Failure to do this is going to get wrong interpretations over and over, and I learnt early that this is how the sects get their different and quite wrong doctrine. So I aim NEVER to do this!

BUT I DO NOT HAVE EVERYTHING RIGHT! I simply do my very BEST to get it all right! I take a lot of time with every post I ever write, in order to NOT write error. But where I am wrong, I love it when someone shows me my error. I will be very grateful to them. AND I will change to any 'new' truth there and then! (I've already done this once here with Dusty.)

the scripture does say . one "should" pray so that he might interpret his tongue . it is an instruction on how to use the gift of tongues . i don't know how you get the idea how it isn't an instruction being one so emphatic about obedience . it would make sense that you would recognize an instruction when it appears in the text of scripture .

I already wrote about this in my post, that in CONTEXT we are to pray for interpretation in a public church situation. It is not instructing me to pray for interpretation when I pray privately. Here are the verses:

1 Corinthians Ch 14:12-13 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel. Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. So, in context these verses belong together, and they clearly say praying for interpretation in the church. Which fits perfectly with the remainder of the Chapter. Praying to interpret elsewhere is NOT mentioned. That's why I was so specific that we're not told to pray for private interpretation, seeing the Scripture does not say to.

I don't know if there's much more I can say. I've done my best to address the matters in your post - except to again say sorry for doing my post in a way that was upsetting to you. I never want to do this!

If Leadership think we're all had a pretty fair go at this, I wonder if it may be time to close the thread...

With love!

- BM

Michael, I was trying to be caring of you and your post, and loving. But it seems I didn't succeed. Sorry!

I don't believe I misunderstood you. I didn't think that I 'contradicted' you as badly as that - I was mostly trying to draw people's attention to good things you'd said! As you feel your truth that you must write, clearly I have to do the same. But I'll try to do it a better way next time, and I sincerely apologise for doing things that you were not happy about this time.

Let me be very clear about the position I hold about the basic matter of TRUTH and the specific matter of contradicting what the Scriptures actually say. All my life I've endeavoured to read ALL Scriptures in context. Failure to do this is going to get wrong interpretations over and over, and I learnt early that this is how the sects get their different and quite wrong doctrine. So I aim NEVER to do this!

BUT I DO NOT HAVE EVERYTHING RIGHT! I simply do my very BEST to get it all right! I take a lot of time with every post I ever write, in order to NOT write error. But where I am wrong, I love it when someone shows me my error. I will be very grateful to them. AND I will change to any 'new' truth there and then! (I've already done this once here with Dusty.)

I already wrote about this in my post, that in CONTEXT we are to pray for interpretation in a public church situation. It is not instructing me to pray for interpretation when I pray privately. Here are the verses:

1 Corinthians Ch 14:12-13 Even so you, since you are zealous for spiritual gifts, let it be for the edification of the church that you seek to excel. Therefore let him who speaks in a tongue pray that he may interpret. So, in context these verses belong together, and they clearly say praying for interpretation in the church. Which fits perfectly with the remainder of the Chapter. Praying to interpret elsewhere is NOT mentioned. That's why I was so specific that we're not told to pray for private interpretation, seeing the Scripture does not say to.

I don't know if there's much more I can say. I've done my best to address the matters in your post - except to again say sorry for doing my post in a way that was upsetting to you. I never want to do this!

If Leadership think we're all had a pretty fair go at this, I wonder if it may be time to close the thread...

With love!

- BM

Bondman, you can continue to make distinctions . and i will continue to apply it to everything whether public or private . let us just agree to disagree and let this conversation continue for others .

its all very confusing but I'm choosing not to worry about this anymore. I will talk to the pastor some more about it but I'm gonna give God the wheel. He can give me whatever gifts he chooses to and I'll be happy/
I just don't want to not be baptized with the Holy Spirit and if speaking in tongues is evidence of that then I feel like I'm missing out. Not on tongues but on baptism of Holy Spirit.

its all very confusing but I'm choosing not to worry about this anymore. I will talk to the pastor some more about it but I'm gonna give God the wheel. He can give me whatever gifts he chooses to and I'll be happy/
I just don't want to not be baptized with the Holy Spirit and if speaking in tongues is evidence of that then I feel like I'm missing out. Not on tongues but on baptism of Holy Spirit.

May God continue to bless you in your seeking .

I am so sorry that you feel that way and because we have so many diferring denominational members here it is a very daunting topic as each one has confused you more than needs be . It does not have to be confusing .

I would suggest that you also read what GodSpeaks has written for you in the Holy Spirit section without all this confusing thread.

If I was seeking like you , yes I would be very confused as well . Please talk more to your pastor and really my dear don't worry cause as you seek more of Jesus , He will satisfy every longing .

I really think this thread needs to close as .... yes every one has confused the issue more than needs be .

http://www.christianforumsite.com/h...aptism-evidence-other-tongues.html#post225731

Tiffany, I would have to endorse what Dusty has said. The thread has made it complicated for you, and for my part in adding to the complications for you, I sincerely apologise. I'm feeling bad about that...

I'll simply add that I believe I was filled with the Spirit (though not necessarily aware of this) long before speaking in tongues - because I was wholly committed to the Lord and seeking Him and His best. So you may already be the same!

Seek (and keep on seeking) and you WILL find, Jesus promised. Matthew 7:7.

Follow Dusty's good advice.

Love and blessings in your seeking!

- BM

Bondman, you can continue to make distinctions . and i will continue to apply it to everything whether public or private . let us just agree to disagree and let this conversation continue for others .

Michael, I'm perturbed at you not considering a verse in it's Scriptural context. Sadly I have to agree with your suggestion you made that we agree to disagree.

After this 2nd 'incident' I've made a decision to change the way I post here (in order to help keep our great forum site great).

Best wishes brother, and agape to you!

- BM

This subject has been well discussed here and elsewhere. In fact, there is an entire forum dedicated to this http://www.christianforumsite.com/holy-spirit-baptism-living-102/index2.html.

There is a very comprehensive thread here: http://www.christianforumsite.com/holy-spirit-baptism-living/25556-baptism-holy-spirit.html. (BTW tongues is not the only manifestation, refer to post #56 in that thread)

I will close this thread and move it to the Holy Spirit forum. It will be reopened only if Tifffany requests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back