Who do I profess to be?

Hebrews 10:23 "Let us hold fast the profession of our faith without wavering; for he is faithful that promised."

Who do I profess to be? For many our profession refers to our career, to the work that we do, but what we do for a living is not always a testimony of who we truly are. I worked in the insurance claims industry for twenty-five years as my chosen career but my career was not my profession. The careers that we have do shape us and mold us but do they truly define us?

Men and women today profess to be straight, gay, liberal, conservative, Christian, Muslim, atheist, etc. but within those classifications there is a wide range of ideology. We see the variance within the political parties in our nation and within each of the two main parties there are those on the left, the right or in the middle. Within those who profess to be Christian there is also a wide range of beliefs ranging from anti-abortion, pro-abortion, for same sex marriage, against same sex marriage, for homosexuality and against homosexuality. The variance within so many groups makes it clear that labels, or classification, of groups does not truly define the members of that group.

I profess to be a Christian but my beliefs are not the same as all Christians for there is a lot of variance within those who share my profession. My words alone will never complete my profession of faith, my actions must stand in harmony with all the words of my profession. I know that I must hold fast to my profession of faith without wavering, but I also desire to grow in my faith so I must seek to be molded and shaped into a man without variableness or shadow of turning. Are we who we profess to be? I am a man most imperfect but I seek to be perfected in my profession by the one in whom I profess to believe. I profess my need for Jesus, my Messiah, and this day and every day I desire to be perfected in him.

Been thinking about this lately.

I was reading Matthew this morning and about storing up treasure in heaven rather than perishable goods. I thought about our character and how we must be more like Him in character. I’ve never really thought more about this before but the passage sprung out at me.

Back