Which Bible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a parallell bible..which has the NIV on one half of the page and the message on the other side which helps a lot but some times I read a chapter in the NIV version and will than read the message and I would have never guessed that would have been the message...than it confuses me a little...but I am enjoying it and I stick to the NIV and only go to the message for a little more understanding if needed:)

better reading the kjv then when you read another you will work out why i say this,translation is becoming a joke.:eek:

Can I just ask why are there other books in catholic version and not in the protestant version. How many are there?

The Catholic bible has 16 additional books commonly called "Deuterocanonical' books (also known as The Apocrypha.) They are Jewish history books. Jerome rejected the Deuterocanonical books when he was translating the Bible into Latin circa 450 CE. Protestants rejected these books during the Reformation as lacking divine authority. The Roman Catholic Council of Trent, on the other hand, declared in 1546 that the Deuterocanonical books were indeed divine.

There are no direct quotes from them in the NT. When Jesus quoted passages from the OT like in John 10:34,35 where the Lord quotes from Psalm 82:6, He immediately comments that the scriptures cannot be broken. For the apostle Paul, "it is written" (in the Old Testament books) was the sure ground for his doctrinal teaching. Thus the New Testament testifies to divine authority of the Old Testament. Significantly there are no such quotations to the apocrypha that imply divine inspiration of these books.

Ben

The Catholic bible has 16 additional books commonly called "Deuterocanonical' books (also known as The Apocrypha.) They are Jewish history books. Jerome rejected the Deuterocanonical books when he was translating the Bible into Latin circa 450 CE. Protestants rejected these books during the Reformation as lacking divine authority. The Roman Catholic Council of Trent, on the other hand, declared in 1546 that the Deuterocanonical books were indeed divine.

There are no direct quotes from them in the NT. When Jesus quoted passages from the OT like in John 10:34,35 where the Lord quotes from Psalm 82:6, He immediately comments that the scriptures cannot be broken. For the apostle Paul, "it is written" (in the Old Testament books) was the sure ground for his doctrinal teaching. Thus the New Testament testifies to divine authority of the Old Testament. Significantly there are no such quotations to the apocrypha that imply divine inspiration of these books.

Ben

Thanks Ben!

Thanks guys.

I went out and bought a King James Bible, and it is great.

I feel more comfortable with it, because not only is it the Protestant version, but I just like the language. I feel more like it is actual scripture, and God actually speaking. The New Translations just seem like novels to me a little bit, and it feels like Humans are talking to me, instead of God. But that's just me :D

All in all, its still the Bible, and I have still been saved, and nothing will change that :)

May the grace of God be with you all.

Hello all. I'm sure you've probably noticed me posting randomly around the forum :D

Anyway, I am 15-years-old, and I have been raised Roman Catholic by my parents. However, I have gone deeper into Faith, and formed a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, and God.

I now consider myself to be a Protestant, rather than a Catholic. I've told my parents, and they are happy that I am discovering God, but they remain Roman Catholic.

Anyway, my next mission is to read the complete texts of the Holy Bible. I have read most of it, but I am still missing a lot, and I feel the Catholic Bibles that are in my home aren't spreading the "true" mission of God that I believe in.

I'm guessing I should buy a King James Version Bible, correct? But, are there any more specific details I should know about? :D Like the NEW King James Version? lol, what do you guys recommend? I know the Protestant Bibles, are all basically the same, but I just want to receive the best of God's Word!

Thanks ;)

I think there are bibles for your age specifically. If you need a bible you need to get the one that is designed for 15 year olds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back