For His glory and honor.
He’ll work all things for good.

“Believe Him. He will fulfill all
Of His promises to you
For your life and your future.
Trust Him. Rest in His love.
He’ll give you peace from above.”

http://originalworks.info/believe-him/

Oftentimes in our lives we are faced with situations which are confusing. There may be more than one possible right choice, not speaking here of our salvation, but of decisions we must make in life, especially with regard to our relationships with others. Sometimes we face hardships and heartache, and we truly don’t understand what is going on. There are times when we need to be given specific answers to our questions or instructions concerning which path we should take next, and other times it is merely a matter of just resting in Jesus and of trusting his word to us. Yet, in all of these cases, what is true is that we must surrender our lives to God, trust him with our life’s circumstances, believe that he knows what he is doing, even if we don’t see it, and we must submit to his will and to his purposes for our lives. Speak, Lord, your words to my heart. I read Philippians 2:1-18 (NIV).

Being One in Spirit

Therefore if you have any encouragement from being united with Christ, if any comfort from his love, if any common sharing in the Spirit, if any tenderness and compassion, then make my joy complete by being like-minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.

As followers of Jesus Christ, we have the Spirit of God living within us to give us counsel, encouragement, comfort, love, peace, joy and sympathy, too. Because we have the love of Christ within us, and we know and experience his love, grace, and mercy in our lives on a daily basis, we should all show that same love and kindness to others, especially to those in the family of God with whom we share the fellowship of the Spirit. Therefore, in the Body of Christ, we should have unity of spirit, and we should be like-minded with regard to matters of the Spirit of God.

This does not mean we will all think alike, or that we won’t have differences of thought and opinion in some maters, because without diversity, most of us would not be necessary. What I mean is that we each bring something unique to the table. We are each given different gifts, talents, passions, and callings, but the same Lord and the same Spirit works them all in all of us. There is no competition. We should all be working together toward the same common goal and purpose, which is to live holy lives pleasing to God, to love others, and to be effective witnesses for the gospel of Jesus Christ, and in that, we can unite.

The Mindset of Christ

Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.

In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus:

Who, being in very nature God,
did not consider equality with God something to be used to his own advantage;
rather, he made himself nothing
by taking the very nature of a servant,
being made in human likeness.
And being found in appearance as a man,
he humbled himself
by becoming obedient to death—
even death on a cross!

Therefore God exalted him to the highest place
and gave him the name that is above every name,
that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.

When we read this passage of scripture, I think we can easily fall into the trap of interpreting these instructions in light of humanistic thinking and reasoning, the culture of our day, tradition, and/or according to the way we were taught as children. Yet, the main thrust of this passage is that we have the same attitude and mindset of Christ, especially in our relationships with others, and in particular with the Body of Christ (believers). So, we need to read this, thinking about what Christ’s true mindset was and is, and then we can apply this knowledge and understanding to our specific situations and relationships.

Suppose you are having difficulty with another brother or sister in Christ, i.e. you are having a difference of opinion and/or a misunderstanding, and communication between the two you has broken down. You have prayed for wisdom and direction. You believe you have taken the appropriate and Biblical steps, but with no results. You believe you have acted in love and in honesty and integrity of heart and mind. Yet, the relationship is not yet healed. So, you begin to question whether there is something you missed, or if you truly did do the right thing, and so you seek God, again, because in all truth you want to make certain that you have taken the right approach and that you have done all you can do to reconcile.

Then, you read Philippians 2. And, so you take a step-by-step look at what it means to truly have the mind-set of Christ in this situation, and you prayerfully go through these various points, and you ask God to show you if what you did or are doing matches his mind-set. And, so you ask: 1) Lord, am I being selfish? 2) Am I truly valuing this person above myself? 3) Am I looking only at my own interests here, or am I truly looking to the interests of this other person? To answer the questions, though, we need to have the mind-set of Christ. So, what was/is his mindset?

He didn’t use his own position of power and authority to his own advantage, but for the true good of others – good, meaning what is truly best for the other person. He didn’t try to make a reputation for himself. He allowed himself to be thought of as a criminal, crazy, radical, etc.; and he allowed himself to be despised, rejected, and mocked. He became a servant with the goal and objective of serving the true needs of others, primarily to meet their (our) need of salvation. He frequently looked beyond what human needs appeared to be on the surface, though, and he looked to the greater need within, but then he did have the advantage of knowing what was in people’s hearts. He knew what they really needed, and he supplied it for them, like for the woman at the well. And, then he humbled himself to death on a cross. Why? – So that he could deliver us out of slavery to sin, could save us from eternity in hell, and so he could free us to walk in His righteousness and holiness.

A Crooked and Depraved Generation

Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act in order to fulfill his good purpose.

Do everything without grumbling or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, “children of God without fault in a warped and crooked generation.” Then you will shine among them like stars in the sky as you hold firmly to the word of life. And then I will be able to boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor in vain. But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me.

So, here is where we get the application, I believe. We must continue to work out our salvation with fear and trembling. This might be confusing to some people. The Bible says we are saved, we are being saved, and we will be saved. Some people call this the process of sanctification, or they give the three phases these names: Salvation, Sanctification and Glorification. The point is, though, that our Christian lives and our relationship with Jesus Christ is a process of a lifetime, and it does take work, not self-effort based upon the works of the flesh, but rather daily choosing to yield control of our lives moment-by-moment and situation-by-situation to the working of the Spirit of God within us, trusting him that he knows what is best for us, and believing that he will fulfill his good purpose in us. And, we do this with all honor, respect, adoration and praise for our Lord Jesus Christ, too.

Going back to the scenario of a troubled relationship, we are to not allow our differences to turn into heated arguments. That solves nothing. In some cases, the differences we face may come about with professing Christians who participate in and who have the mindset of this warped, deceptive, perverted, disingenuous, immoral and libertine generation of our time. We should not compromise with the sinful world to make nice with people, though. Instead, we are to shine among them like a light-house which warns those on the sea to avoid the rocks, and which directs them in their course to safe haven. The most loving thing we can do is to do just what Jesus would do, and that is to speak the truth in love to them, to show them where they are off-course, and to help direct them back on track, by showing them the truth of the gospel. Yet, this might get us hated, rejected, misunderstood, and persecuted in return. Yet, even if that happens, we should rejoice. And, we should trust the Lord to work everything out in our lives and in the lives of others all according to plan.

Unless You Are Born Again
An Original Work / November 3, 2013

Based off John 3:1-21

Nicodemus came to Jesus.
He acknowledged God was with Him.
Jesus said, “You can’t see heaven
Unless you are born again.”

“How can a man be born when he’s old?
Can he enter into his mother’s womb?”
Jesus answered, “Flesh is flesh,
So of the Spirit, you must be.”

Jesus said to Nicodemus,
“You’re a teacher, and yet you don’t
Understand of what I tell you,
Because you will not believe.

“For God so loved the world that He gave
His one and His only Son for your sin.
So, whoever believes in Him
Has eternal life in heav’n.

“Light has come into the world,
But human beings love the darkness,
Because their deeds are so evil,
So in truth, they stand condemned.

“Everyone who practices evil
Fears that the Light will expose his sin.
Yet, whoever lives his life by the Light
Does so through his God.”

http://originalworks.info/unless-you-are-born-again/

Back