When God Speaks, It Is So

Discussion in 'Thoughts for Today' started by godbe4me, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Life's Seasons

Life's Seasons

To everything there is a season,
    A time for every purpose under heaven.

Ecclesiastes 3:1

The beauty in the way God designed the four seasons is that, though each one is distinct, they all work together to bring life and growth. Spring is a period of freshness and new life. Summer sees growth and productivity. Autumn is a time for harvesting the rewards of past labors. Winter is the season of dormancy and closure. Each season has its own unique beauty and makes a significant contribution to life.

Just as God planned seasons in nature, He planned seasons in life as well. Life has its sprintime, when we begin new things and look excitedly toward the future. Summer comes and we work diligently in the heat of the day at all that God has assigned to us. With autumn comes the fruition of things begun at an earlier time in our lives. Winter brings an end to a particular period in our lives. Sometimes winter brings hardship, but we remain hopeful, for another spring is just around the corner!

In God's perfect design for our lives, He has planned for times of fruitfulness and activity. He will also build in times of quiet and rest. There will be times when He asks us to remain faithful doing the same work day after day. But there will also be periods of excitement and new beginnings. By God's grace, we will enjoy seasons of harvesting the fruit of our faithfulness. By God's grace we will also overcome the cold winters of heartache and grief, for without winter there would be no spring. Just as it is with the seasons of nature, these seasons in our lives work togehter to bring about God's perfect will for each one of us.

Henry T. & Richard Blackaby

Godbe4me:amen::jesus-sign:

2. Deny Yourself

Deny Yourself

Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me."

Matthew 16:24

Sin causes us to be self-center, shifting our hearts from God to self. The essence of salvation is an about-face from self-centeredness to God-centeredness. The Christian must spend a lifetime of denying self. Our great temptation will be to affirm ourselves while we follow Jesus. James and John did this when they chose to follow Jesus but asked for the two most prominent positions in Jesus' kingdom (Mark 10:35-37). James and John wanted a discipleship that would not impede their personal desires and aspirations. Like them, we say, "Lord, I want to be pleasing to you, but I want to stay where I am."

Self-centered people try to keep their lives unruffled and undisturbed, safe and secure. Our temptation is to give our time and effort to the goals of this world. Then, when we are successful in the world's eyes, we seek to bring God into our world by honoring Him with our success. We may say, "Now that I have succeeded in business (or sports, or politics, or with my family, or even Christian ministry), I want to give God the glory for it!" God is not interested in receiving secondhand glory from our activity. God receives glory from His activity through our lives.

The world will entice you to adopt its goals and to invest in temporal things. Resist the temptation to pursue your own goals, asking God to bless them. Rather, deny yourself and join the activity of God as He reveals it to you.

Godbe4me:bow::amen::jesus-sign:

3. Pride Brings You Down

Pride Brings You Down

A man's pride will bring him low,
    But the humble in spirit will retain honor.

Proverbs 29:23

Pride is the great enemy of the Christian. Pride is an overly high opinion of yourself. It motivates you to do things that you know are not Christlike, and it hinders you from doing what brings glory to God. Pride influenced Adam and Eve to try to become like God (Gen. 3:5). Pride motivated Cain to murder his brother (Gen. 4:5). Pride provoked Joseph's brothers to sell him into slavery (Gen. 37:8). Pride caused King Saul to resent David so deeply that he tried to murder him (1 Sam. 18:8). Pride led King Hezekiah to foolishly reveal his nations's wealth to his enemies (Isa. 39:2). Pride was at the root of the Pharisees' anger toward Jesus. Pride was the reason the disciples argued over rank in the Kingdom (Luke 9:46).

Pride is your relentless enemy. If you succumb to its influence, there will be consequences. You may know that you have offended someone, but pride holds you back from asking forgiveness. You may realize you need to reconcile a broken relationship, but pride will lead you to deny that need. The Spirit may convict you that you are living a sinful lifestyle, but pride will discourage your admitting it. Pride will convince you that you deserve better treatment. Pride will impede your serving others. Instead, pride will have you striving for places of prominence. Pride will have you listen to flatterers and ignore honest counselors. Pride will lead you to isolate yourself so that you are not accountable to others.

Humility, on the other hand, is pleasing to God and places your life in a position where God will honor you. If pride has crept into some areas of your life, ask God to give you victory over it before it robs you of God's will for you.

Godbe4me:bow::bow::bow:

4. Discipleship Is Christ in You

Discipleship Is Christ in You

To them God willed to make known what are the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles: which is Christ in you, the hope of glory.

Colossians 1:27

The heavenly Father's plan from the beginning of time was to place His eternal Son in every believer. If you are a Christian, all the fullness of God dwells in you. Christ's life becomes your life. When Christ lives in you, He brings every divine resource with Him. Every time you face a need, you meet it with the presence of the crucified, risen, and triumphant Lord of the universe inhabiting you. When God invites you to become involved in His work, He has already placed His Son in you so that He can carry out His assignment through your life.

This has significant implications for your Christian life. Discipleship is more than acquiring head knowledge and memorizing Scripture verses. It is learning to give Jesus Christ total access to your life so He will live His life through you. Your greatest difficulty will be believing that your relationship with Christ is at the heart of your Christian life. When others watch you face a crisis, do they see the risen Lord responding? Does your family see the difference Christ makes when you face a need? What difference does the presence of Jesus Christ make in your life?

God wants to reveal Himself to those around you by working mightily through you. He wants your family to see Christ in you each day. God wants to express His love through your life. There is a great difference between "living the Christian life" and allowing Christ to live His life through you.

5. Contentment

Contentment

Not that I speak from want; for I have learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am.

Philippians 4:11

Our world promotes dissatisfaction with our lives. We are constantly bombarded with newer and better thngs that will make our lives more complete if only we would obtain them! If we listen to the world, we will always be comparing the lifestyles and possessions of others with our own, and we will always be dissatisfied. If our contentment comes from possessions, activities, or other people, these can be altered or removed. If our contentment comes from our relationship with Christ, there is absolutely nothing that can take that away.

Paul had enjoyed power and status among his people. He had also been imprisoned and bound in stocks in the depths of a jail cell. He had stood before a king and been stoned almost to death by an angry mob. Paul had enjoyed the benefits and pleasures of life, yet he could give them all up and still be filled with the joy of the Lord. His contentment did not depend on his environment but on his relationship with Christ.

Contentment frees you to enjoy every good thing God has given you. Contentment demonstrates your belief that God loves you and has your best interest in mind. Discontent stems from the sin of ingratitude and a lack of faith that God loves you enough to provide for all that you need. Strive to be grateful for all that God has given you. A grateful heart has no room for envy.

Godbe4me

6. Abide in the Vine

Abide in the Vine

"I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for apart from Me you can do nothing."

John 15:5

There are those who feel that they must be constantly laboring for the Lord in order to meet God's high standards. Jesus gave a clear picture of what our relationship to Him ought to be like. He is the vine, the source of our life. We are the branches, the place where fruit is produced. As we receive life from Christ, the natural, inevitable result is that fruit is produced in our lives.

In our zeal to produce "results" for our Lord, we sometimes become so intent on fruit production that we neglect abiding in Christ. We may feel that "abiding" is not as productive or that it takes too much time away from our fruit production. Yet Jesus said that it is not our activity that produces fruit, it is our relationship with Him.

Jesus gave an important warning to His disciples. He cautioned that if they ever attempted to live their Christian life apart from an intimate relationship with Him, they would discover that they ceased to produced any significant results. They might exert great effort for the kingdom of God, yet when they stopped to account for their lives, they would find only barrenness. One of the most dramatic acts Jesus ever performed was cursing the fig tree that had failed to produce fruit (Mark 11:14). Are you comfortable in abiding, or are you impatient to be engaged in activity? If you will remain steadfastly in fellowship with Jesus, a great harvest will be the natural by-product.

7. Exactly....We are to have a relationship with him. An intimate relationship where He is in us and we are in Him. He (God) working through us and performing His mighty works through us. Intimate relationship with Him where when we are looked at, they see Christ in us. We are all part of one body and Christ is the Head.

8. When Christ came to earth, it was God the Son, meaning God in flesh. He lived a perfect and sinless life. He came to redeem a lost world back to Himself.

John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him should not perish, but have everlasting life."

He came to save those who would believe in His Son Jesus Christ. Those who believe in God's Son Jesus believe that He did come to earth to die for our sins. We believe that He rose on the third day and is right now sitting on the right side of God in heaven. The shedding of His blood is the washing away of our sins. We are saved by GRACE. Eph. 2:8-9 says, "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." We are the sheep and He is the Shepherd. John 10:27-28 states, "My sheep know my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. I give them eternal life, and they will never die, and no one can steal them out of my hand." Once we believed what Jesus did for us on the cross (which is personal and between you and God), we became his children and was given an inheritance of eternal life. When we accepted Jesus in our hearts, we were given the Holy Spirit by God to live inside of us. The Holy Spirit leads us, guides us, ministers to us and so much more. The Holy Spirit is our seal from God that we are His children.

Rom 3:23 says, "For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God."

We all have sinned and are still sinning including believers. We are not and will not be perfect and sinless until Christ comes for us. Then we will be just like Christ. When you accepted Christ into your life, and believed that He died for your sins you became His child. After being saved and you commit a sin, you can go to God in prayer and ask for forgiveness of that sin and you will be forgiven because you are His child. An unbeliever, one who does not accept Christ will continue to sin without ever receiving forgiveness because they reject Christ and what He did on the cross for all who would believe in Him. God sees us as righteous through His Son.

Let me give you an example:

a) Believer who is constantly being washed by the Blood of Jesus

b) Unbeliever, who does not know Jesus and rejects Him.

Believer's Sins

Unbeliever's Sins
    lying
    Adultery
    Stealing
    murder
    abusive
    mis-treat parents

The list could go on and on. But what is it that you see about the two columns that are different? One list is has no sins listed while the other column has a list of sins. The blood of Jesus washes our sins away, if we believe that God died for our sins, what sin can you place in that column that the blood of Jesus will not remove? On the other hand, unless you are a child of God, your sins will go on and on and on and can never be removed because you are not a child of God.

What we are called to do is have an intimate relationship with God. By us doing that, He lives within us and His light shines through us and He works through us. So when you see a Christian doing something good like helping feed the hungry, sheltering a stranger, visiting an elderly person, etc. remember all good things come from Christ. When you see this, you see Christ working through that individual. He works through all of His children.

So, can we live the same way he did? Yes, by helping people, bringing people to the saving knowledge of God, looking after the sick, praying, spending time with God. Praying for others, etc. This is how people can see Christ in us.

Can we live a sinless life as Christ did? Not in these flesh bodies. We will be Christlike when He returns for His Church.

I hope this helps you,

Godbe4me

9. [/QUOTE]
    Yes, His Word

Yes, by walking in His Spirit

10. God's Manner of Forgiveness

God's Manner of Forgiveness

Now therefore, the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised Me, and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.

2 Samuel 12:10

What is required for God to forgive sin? Repentance. But even repentance does not ensure the removal of the consequences of sin. The consequences often remain as a reminder of the terrible, destructive nature of sin.

David was forgiven for his grievous sins of lust, adultery, robbery, and murder. God forgave him absolutely and removed his sin from him completely (Ps. 103:12). God did not, however, remove the pain that David would endure as a result of his transgressions. The child born of David's adultery died (2 Sam. 12:14). David's son Amnon raped David's daughter Tamar (2 Sam. 13:14). David's son Absalom murdered Amnon (2 Sam 13:28-29). For the rest of David's reign, violence filled his home and his kingdom. Although David knew he was forgiven, he bore the painful consequences of his sin for the rest of his life.

It is presumptuous to assume that God removes every consequence the moment you repent of your sin. Do not think that the instant you show remorse God will retore everything as it was. He may not. Some sins, such as adultery, come from a flawed character. God forgives sin immediately upon repentance, but it takes longer to build character. It is character, not forgiveness, that determines what God brings next to your life.

Because we know the devastating consequences of our disobedience, let us diligently avoid every sin and "run with endurance the race that is set before us" (Heb. 12:1).

11. If we are walking with Christ we will be going in the same direction because the Holy Spirit will be guiding us and we will want to please our Lord by obedience to Him . By obedience we are to read His Word and the Holy Spirit speaks through His Word . If we truly love the Lord we will of course walk in His ways.

We are to be followers of Jesus Christ so may I ask you what a follower is Barb ?

John 8:12
    [ The Validity of Jesus' Testimony ] When Jesus spoke again to the people, he said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."

12. No Secrets

No Secrets

"For nothing is secret that will not be revealed, nor anything hidden
    that will not be known and come to light."

Luke 8:17

One of Satan's subtle deceptions is that you can do things in secret that will never be revealed. This is simply not so. The Bible stresses that everything done in darkness will one day be brought to light. So before you commit yourself to do anything questionable, seriously ask yourself, "Am I willing for those around me to know what I am about to do? Am I willing for God to watch me participate in this activity?"

The knowledge that God sees what we do, the certainty that we are accountable for every word and action, ought to dissuade us from sin (2 Cor. 5:10). But we can become so alienated from God that even this knowledge does not deter us. God promises that He will publicly expose our sins so that we must give an account to others for our actions. Ultimately, everything we do will be exposed on judgment day.

Still, some people believe they can sin against God, their families, their employers, or their friends and never be discovered. God has provided a safeguard against sin: the certainty of disclosure. Scripture commands us to expose the deeds of darkness as we become aware of them (Eph. 5:11). As Christians we are to be the light that dispels darkness in our world. Sin cannot continue in the Christian's experience, for light cannot dwell with darkness. The only insurance against having your sins exposed is living a blameless life.

Godbe4me:amen::jesus-sign:

13. Born Again

Born Again

Jesus answered and said to him, "Most assuredly, I say to you,
    unless one is born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God."

John 3:3

Entering a saving relationship with Christ is a life-changing experience! All things become new! Not some things, but all things (2 Cor. 5:17). For the first time in your life, Christ is Lord; God is Master. When you become a Christian, Christ's presence will affect every part of you. You will have new thoughts, new attitudes, new values, and new sensitivities. New priorities will dramatically affect your relationships. You will view everything in your life from a Christlike perspective. Christianity is not something you add to your life; it is life!

Nicodemus thought that salvation meant performing certain religious exercises and holding to particular religious teachings. He had no idea of the all-encompassing nature of salvation! When you become a Christian, God gives you a new mind, like that of Christ, so you think differently. He gives you new emotions, so you feel deeply about completely different matters. You become sensitive to sin, so you are no longer comfortable with it. Your recreation will be affected as you are made aware of what is honoring to God and what is not. Your relationships will now be guided by the Holy Spirit. Destructive habits and attitudes, previously immune to change, will be transformed.

Have you noticed the changes God has brought to your life since you entered a vital relationship with Jesus Christ? These changes should be very noticeable as a testimony of the new life you received when you trusted Jesus as your Savior and Lord.

14. So we would be walking in the same direction ?? We would be walking with Christ ... Thanks

15. All Things Are Pure

All Things Are Pure

To the pure all things are pure, but to those who are defiled and unbelieving nothing is pure; but even their mind and conscience are defiled

Titus 1:15

Your heart's condition will be expressed through your life. It will be evident by your attitudes, your words, and your behavior. Jesus said that you can clearly see others only when your own eyes are unobstructed (Mark 6:42). If your vision is hindered by sin, you will not look at others properly.

If your heart is pure, you will approach life without malice. you will not question the motives of everyone around you; you will not doubt the truth of everything others tell you; you will not look for fault in others. Instead, you will look for the good in others, finding what is praiseworthy. You will not be naive or gullible, but you will seek what is good rather than what is evil. If your heart is pure, you will see others the way God sees them (Matt. 6:22).

If your heart is defiled, everything with which you are involved will seem corrupt as well. You will assume evil motives in others because you know what you would do given the same circumstances. You will be cynical about what you hear because your own words are deceitful. You will be drawn to evil people and evil things.

How do you look at the words and actions of others? Are you critical of them? Are you judgmental? If so, ask God to purify your heart. Once He has, you will be free to see yourself and others as God does.

16. Have This Mind in You

Have This Mind in You

Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus.

Philippians 2:5

Attitudes do not just happen; we choose them. Paul urged believers to have the same attitude that Jesus had. Jesus was the Son Of God. His place was at the right hand of His Father, ruling the universe. No position could be more glorious or honorable than the right hand of the heavenly Father. Jesus' relationship with the Father gave Him the right to this honor.

Jesus chose not to hold on to this right. Nothing, not even His position in heaven, was so precious to Him that He could not give it up if His Father asked Him. His love for His Father compelled Him to make any sacrifice necessary in order to be obedient to Him. When the Father required a spotless sacrifice for the redemption of humanity, Jesus did not cling to His rights, nor did He argue that He should not have to suffer for the sins of rebellious creatures of dust (Isa. 53:7). Rather, He relinquished the glory of His heavenly existence in order to become a man. He was born in a cattle shed; He slept in a feeding trough. His life was spent preparing for the day when He would suffer an excruciating execution. All of this He did willingly.

We are tempted to hold tightly to things God has given us. We say, "I would be willing to give up anything God asked of me, but I just don't think He would ask me to give anything up!" The Father asked His Son to make radical adjustments in His life. Can we not expect that He will ask us to sacrifice privileges and comforts as well?

If you find yourself resisting every time God seeks to adjust your life to His will, ask the Spirit to give you the same selfless attitude that Jesus demonstrated.

17. I love this quote. Good post

18. Thanks Chili, I am glad you enjoyed it.

19. Faith Pleases God

Faith Pleases God

But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him

Hebrews 11:6

Your relationship with God is largely determined by your faith. When you come to Him, you must believe that He exists and that He is exactly who He has revealed Himself to be in Scriptures. You must also believe that He will respond to you when you earnestly seek Him. Without this kind of faith, you cannot please God. Regardless of the morality of your life, the good works you perform, the words you speak, or the sacrifices you make for His sake, if you do not have faith, you will not please Him. It can be tempting to substitute religious activity for faith in God. Christians may claim they are being "good stewards" of their resources when, in fact, they are wanting to walk by sight rather than by faith (Heb. 11:1). They may refuse to do what God tells them unless they can see all the resources in place first.

You may say, "I love God, but I just have difficulty trusting Him." Then you are not pleasing to Him. You cannot struggle at the core of your relationship with God and still enjoy a vibrant fellowship with Him! Faith does not eliminate problems. Faith keeps you in a trusting relationship with God in the midst of your problems. Faith has to do with your relationship with God, not your circumstances. Some may say, "I'm not much of a person of faith. I am more of a practical person!" Yet you will never do anything more practical than to place your trust in the Lord! Nothing is more secure or certain than that which you entrust in God.

20. Gi-go

GI-GO

Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy---meditate on these things.

Philippians 4:8

Through the painful experience of being rebuked by the Lord, Peter learned that he was vulnerable to Satan. Satan could place words in his mouth just as surely as the Lord could. If Peter minded the things of men rather than the things of God, or if he did not do the will of God, he could be an instrument of the enemy.

Take a few moments to review the last several days. How much of that time were you exposed to the world's way of thinking? How much time with television, radio, movies, magazines, the workplace? Compare that to the time you spent in the Word, in the presence of godly firends or family, or listening to enriching music.

We can't avoid contact with the world, nor should we. Hoever, we can be deliberate about balancing the unconstructive input we constantly receive with something good to nourish our souls. Otherwise, it will be like the old computer programmer's motto: GI-GO (Garbage In-Garbage Out).

"From Ordinary to Extraordinary"
    By: John MacArthur