What would you do?

If you were there...

• Total voters
Matt 5:39 is a rhetorical overstatement. If we take it literally, well then we must take Matt 5:40 literally and walk around naked!!

Think about Matt 5:28 in contrast to Matt 5:32.

Matt 5:28 = thought of adultery = adultery.
Matt 5:32 = only actual adultery / sexual immorality is grounds for divorce.

Matt 5:28 is a rhetorical overstatement. Jesus is not lying but it requires some brains / more scripture and context to better grasp.

If you do not offer resistance to your attacker, you may as well divorce your husband for having an immoral thought.

All that does seem reasonable. In my youth group recently we talked about how the Bible has genres. Hyperbole was not on the list of genres, but to me, seems like it could be a genre that should be considered as a context.

I got in trouble with my dad because of Matthew 5:40. I think I have said this on another thread in this website. I don't believe that Dad has ever given away his coat, but if people ask him for money, he offers to feed them. He takes people to shelters to sleep, soup kitchens to eat or find clothes, and the YMCA to shower. One time he took a woman to the emergency room. The county must have paid her bill. One time he paid for a man's motel rooom.

Totally unrelated to his charity, he gave me a credit card "for emergencies." Trying to follow his example, I bought a man a meal at In and Out Burger. Then I forgot to tell him that I had spent his money. He was annoyed that I had spent his money (maybe five dollars) without his permission. He was even more annoyed that I had any dealing with homeless people, "who could be really dangerous." I had tried to do the right thing, and I had sinned twice. :(

One of Dad's maxims: No good deed goes unpunished. :)

:D Don't we all feel like that.

It just means he is not speaking to you in English. We come to God on His terms, not vice versa.

I suppose that if God has anything to say to me, he will likely speak Spanish or English. I have forgotten how to speak Tagalog.

I read about Peter Marshall, who was the chaplain of the United States Senate. His future wife had asked him how he would choose a wife. He had said that God would tell him who to marry. When she realized that for some unknown reason he had noticed her, she asked him if God has chosen her. He said that he had chosen her, and that is how he knew that God wanted her to be his wife.

Now all that sounds a bit convoluted, and probably dangerous for a ditzy teen like me. But it is an interesting idea. If I want something, then that could be an indication that God wants if for me.

I don't want to argue with anybody. You have been kind to me, and I am sorry I bothered you. God bless you.
No bother, just trying to let you know that one needs to hear God, and know his voice. One can’t come to know God unless he or she lets God teach him or her about God.

(1 Corinthians 2:10-16) “These are the very things that God has revealed to us through the Spirit, for the Spirit reaches the depts. Of everything, even the depths of God. After all, the depths of a man can only be known by his own spirit, not by any other man, and in the same way the depths of God can only be known by the Spirit of God.-----------“

Most people have no idea of what it means to have the Holy Spirit/Jesus personally teach him or her about God.

I have known many people who were given the Holy Spirit to teach them. Given the Holy Spirit as manifested in the gifts of the Holy Spirit.

Yet these people would soon lose the gifts. The Holy Spirit would tell them the truth, but people seem to want man’s understanding of the truth rather then God’s.

Jesus said give up all possessions. Then man says that was just hyperbole.

The Holy Spirit will let one know what is required of one. The Holy Spirit knows what one needs, and does not need.

Jesus told us about giving in the following scripture.

(Mark12: 43-44) “A poor widow came and put in two small coins, the equivalent of a penny. Then he called his disciples and said to them, ‘I tell you solemnly, this poor widow has put more in than all who have contributed to the treasury; for they have all put in money they had over, but she from the little she had has put in everything she possessed, all she had to live on.”

Don’t you know that God took care of that woman, and made sure she had all that was needed to survive?

Jesus has had me live, raising four children where I was often in the same situation as that poor widow.

Yet my children all finished collage, and two in grad school.

I never had a saving account. Only owned what was needed to make a living.

I would put the tiger in a choke hold, and tell it to be still. Once it calmed down, I'd get on it's back and ride around on the tiger for a little while, until I got bored. Then I'd go have some coffee.

Honestly, I think the third one would be the best, but I don't know what I would do if the situation occurred. :/

I would like you to demonstrate this on your neighbors Rottweiler and see how it works for you. Don't forget to have the wife video it so we can see.

Actually, I use to have a full blooded rottweiler. He was not very obedient in the beginning, and the headlock worked like a charm.

Unfortunately, I haven't seen any dogs running loose in my area, so I don't think I will be able to put any in choke holds anytime soon. :(

I would like you to demonstrate this on your neighbors Rottweiler and see how it works for you. Don't forget to have the wife video it so we can see.
That´s not what will prove his theory, rottweilers are sweethearts.

I had a Rottweiler. Until he was 2 years old he was a sweetheart. Once he turned 2 his demeanor changed. I had to give him away to someone that could deal with him.

I guarantee if you tried getting him in a headlock you would wind up being a meal for him. That dog was a fearsome creature.

All that does seem reasonable. In my youth group recently we talked about how the Bible has genres. Hyperbole was not on the list of genres, but to me, seems like it could be a genre that should be considered as a context.

I got in trouble with my dad because of Matthew 5:40. I think I have said this on another thread in this website. I don't believe that Dad has ever given away his coat, but if people ask him for money, he offers to feed them. He takes people to shelters to sleep, soup kitchens to eat or find clothes, and the YMCA to shower. One time he took a woman to the emergency room. The county must have paid her bill. One time he paid for a man's motel rooom.

Totally unrelated to his charity, he gave me a credit card "for emergencies." Trying to follow his example, I bought a man a meal at In and Out Burger. Then I forgot to tell him that I had spent his money. He was annoyed that I had spent his money (maybe five dollars) without his permission. He was even more annoyed that I had any dealing with homeless people, "who could be really dangerous." I had tried to do the right thing, and I had sinned twice. :(

One of Dad's maxims: No good deed goes unpunished. :)

Don't know you or your father, but sounds like he was most concerned about your well being. It is difficult for a parent to put complete trust in their children's judgment. The difficulty comes not from lack of confidence in the child so much as an overwhelming love for the child and recognition that the world can be pretty bad.

Don't know you or your father, but sounds like he was most concerned about your well being. It is difficult for a parent to put complete trust in their children's judgment. The difficulty comes not from lack of confidence in the child so much as an overwhelming love for the child and recognition that the world can be pretty bad.

Yes, you have more insight into this than you can ever know. Thank you for reminding me.

I would be butt & elbows x D and im being honest.

But i would try to get help.

I mean im not jesus, and im not gonna test Him by jumping in the fray

View attachment 1205
Let's say the guy slipped!

Many at work have asked me what I would do if I was in that guy's shoes. The answer is simple. Defend myself as best I can and just accept death if it comes.

The REAL question imho is....what would you do if you saw this happening to this guy that you don't know from a bar of soap?

What would Jesus do? What should we do?

This is quite a reality check!
Jesus would have told the tiger to stand down I think... I don't know what I'd have done until I'm in that situation. I know what I want to say, but maybe deep down when it happens, I'll be a chicken. I've never once been in such a situation where my character has been tested at the risk of my life.

Back