What would you do?

If you were there...

• Total voters
Yes that is what Jesus tells me.

Remember this though. The Holy Spirit told me to tell people than no matter who tells them anything about God, be it a priest, bishop, or anyone, they are to ask Jesus if it is right or wrong.

What I say or anyone says about God you need it confirmed by Jesus.

(John 15:18-19) “If the world hates you, remember that it hated me before you. If you belonged to the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you do not belong to the world because my choice withdrew you from the world.”

(John 17:14) “I passed your word on to them, and the world hated them, because they belong to the world no more than I belong to the world.”

Well, I gotta say that is totally a holy cowabunga point of view. It means that Christians cannot be lawyers. Teachers enforce the education code, so Christians cannot be public school teachers. I suppose it means that Christians should have been denied participation in D-Day.

In a world in which Christians deny themselves participation in government, all the government officials will be mostly Buddhists, Muslims, or Yorubans.

During Mass I feel like I talk to God. He never says anything; he just listens, which to me means that he wants me to make up my own mind, which oddly enough is an important principle in Buddhism, so it must also be an important principle in Christianity.

Personally I believe hypothetical questions are impossible.

I also believe Satan often uses hypothetical situations to make people believe they should not believe God’s commandments.

(Matthew 5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance.”

Hypothetical question then often comes such as, what if one was going to rape your child?

I have lived eighty years and not once has God ever let me be in a situation where I needed to harm anyone.

One can’t foretell how he or she would react to any hypothetical situation, but one can pray for God to have him her do his will.

God gives one the grace to do the right thing at the time it is needed. One does not receive the grace, and direction from the Holy Spirit before it is needed.

Johnlove~ Which version the Bible did you get that quote from Matthew 5:39 from?

I think if my child/grandchild were facing molestation, death, rape or anything like that, that I would obligated to offer resistance. Righteous anger is supported in the Bible...However, if I were facing death/torture for the cause of Jesus, I would not offer resistance (I hope not, anyway).

My brother in law is a game ranger. An adult male lion charged at him when he was checking for spoor near a kill. All he did was stand still and then walk back slowly, showing no fear and kept eye contact.

You are right. The guys arms flapping and clear fear = prey.

Atheists clearly want us dead :giggle:.

On the other hand, arm flapping and loud noises are recommended when confronted with a BEAR!

Johnlove~ Which version the Bible did you get that quote from Matthew 5:39 from?

I think if my child/grandchild were facing molestation, death, rape or anything like that, that I would obligated to offer resistance. Righteous anger is supported in the Bible...However, if I were facing death/torture for the cause of Jesus, I would not offer resistance (I hope not, anyway).

Agreed!!

The law is for us to do unto others as we want done unto us. If a girl is being raped, she wants help. If we do nothing, we will be punished for the rape.

Personally I believe hypothetical questions are impossible.

I also believe Satan often uses hypothetical situations to make people believe they should not believe God’s commandments.

(Matthew 5:39) “You have learnt how it was said: ‘Eye for eye and tooth for tooth.’ But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance.”

Hypothetical question then often comes such as, what if one was going to rape your child?

I have lived eighty years and not once has God ever let me be in a situation where I needed to harm anyone.

One can’t foretell how he or she would react to any hypothetical situation, but one can pray for God to have him her do his will.

God gives one the grace to do the right thing at the time it is needed. One does not receive the grace, and direction from the Holy Spirit before it is needed.

This thread is not about a hypothetical situation. This type of scenario occurs in all our lives, often.

You can't recall the many occasions you have gone against Matt 16:25? 'For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it'. It is God's will for us to choose option 3.

Matt 5:39 is not talking against self defense.

Last edited:
How would I resist a wicked man? If he tried to hurt me, he might lose a finger.

For two days I had a friend. We ran together. We played my word games, which my had brothers invented to help me learn English. We ate together at my house, and she slept over in my room. On the second day (maybe third), my mother insisted that my friend go home to her own house. As she left my friend told me that her father had been molesting her. I had learned in school to speak up about that subject; so almost like a robot, I told my mother. She recorded my friend's story called the police. I never met the father, but I did meet the mother the next day. I never saw my friend again. I heard about where the family went, I don't know for sure.

The tiger must represent the molester. The man must represent my friend.

I suppose the questions are: Does child molestation qualify as wicked? Did I resist the wicked man?

Matt 5:39 is a rhetorical overstatement. If we take it literally, well then we must take Matt 5:40 literally and walk around naked!!

Think about Matt 5:28 in contrast to Matt 5:32.

Matt 5:28 = thought of adultery = adultery.
Matt 5:32 = only actual adultery / sexual immorality is grounds for divorce.

Matt 5:28 is a rhetorical overstatement. Jesus is not lying but it requires some brains / more scripture and context to better grasp.

If you do not offer resistance to your attacker, you may as well divorce your husband for having an immoral thought.

Last edited:
Well, I gotta say that is totally a holy cowabunga point of view. It means that Christians cannot be lawyers. Teachers enforce the education code, so Christians cannot be public school teachers. I suppose it means that Christians should have been denied participation in D-Day.

In a world in which Christians deny themselves participation in government, all the government officials will be mostly Buddhists, Muslims, or Yorubans.

During Mass I feel like I talk to God. He never says anything; he just listens, which to me means that he wants me to make up my own mind, which oddly enough is an important principle in Buddhism, so it must also be an important principle in Christianity.
Are you making a straw man argument? Did I say one could not be a lawyer, teacher?

A Christian obeys God, and trust that God’s will, will be done in his or her life.

Jesus is the one who said we are not of the world, your argument is not with me, but with God.

I can’t bring you to know God, only God can do that. Jesus gave us his Holy Spirit to teach us to know God. If we are going to be taught by the Holy Spirit, one should know that the Holy Spirit will talk/communicate with him or her.

Also Jesus said he would call his own out by name, and they would recognize his voice. Does it not seem that he told us he would talk to us?

Now I will quote scripture that confirms what I just wrote. Ask the Holy Spirit/Jesus to help you understand these verses of scripture.

(1 John 2: 27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you; the anointing he gave teaches you everything: you are anointed with truth, not with a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”

(John 10:1-5)"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. e calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."

(John 10:14-16) “I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for my sheep. And there are other sheep I have that are not of this fold, and these I have to lead as well. They too will listen to my voice, and there will be only one flock, and one shepherd.

Matthew 5:38-48) “You have learnt how it was said: Eye for eye and tooth for tooth. But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance. On the contrary, if anyone hits you on the right cheek, offer him the other as well, if a man takes you to law and would have your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone orders you to go one mile, go two miles with him. Give to anyone who asks, and if anyone wants to borrow, do not turn away. You have learnt how it was said: you must love your neighbour and hate your enemy. But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; in this way you will be sons of your Father in heaven, for he causes his sun to rise on bad men as well as good,”

Do I still seem to be that cool whatever?

:D Don't we all feel like that.

It just means he is not speaking to you in English. We come to God on His terms, not vice versa.

This thread is not about a hypothetical situation. This type of scenario occurs in all our lives, often.

You can't recall the many occasions you have gone against Matt 16:25? 'For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it'. It is God's will for us to choose option 3.

Matt 5:39 is not talking against self defense.

The apostles knew the following scripture meant that a Christian did not harm anyone for any reason. Christians followed the Holy Spirit’s directions until Constantine the Great coned people into believing Christians could kill.

Matthew 5:38-48) “You have learnt how it was said: Eye for eye and tooth for tooth. But I say this to you: offer the wicked man no resistance. On the contrary, if anyone hits you on the right cheek, offer him the other as well, if a man takes you to law and would have your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. And if anyone orders you to go one mile, go two miles with him. Give to anyone who asks, and if anyone wants to borrow, do not turn away. You have learnt how it was said: you must love your neighbour and hate your enemy. But I say this to you: love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you; in this way you will be sons of your Father in heaven, for he causes his sun to rise on bad men as well as good,”

Offer the wicked man no resistance, these are Jesus’ Words. Does that sound like one can defend one’s self?

We are told to trust God, not anything else.

The apostles knew the following scripture meant that a Christian did not harm anyone for any reason. Christians followed the Holy Spirit’s directions until Constantine the Great coned people into believing Christians could kill.

Offer the wicked man no resistance, these are Jesus’ Words. Does that sound like one can defend one’s self?

We are told to trust God, not anything else.

Well God can do anything. But it is always very debatable for obvious reasons when someone says they literally hear God.

The only thing we need to do to get God to speak to us / hear us / interact with us is to follow John 9:31.

Well God can do anything. But it is always very debatable for obvious reasons when someone says they literally hear God.

The only thing we need to do to get God to speak to us / hear us / interact with us is to follow John 9:31.
Jesus told us that his people would hear his voice, and yet people want to believe God does not talk to him or her.

Jesus gave us his Holy Spirit to teach us, yet people want to believe that the Holy Spirit teaches them in any way but talking to him or her.

The best way to teach in most cases, is by talking.

Paul told us that we live as the Holy Spirit dictates to us. How can the Holy Spirit dictate unless he talks to us?

(John 10:1-5)"I tell you the truth, the man who does not enter the sheep pen by the gate, but climbs in by some other way, is a thief and a robber. The man who enters by the gate is the shepherd of his sheep. The watchman opens the gate for him, and the sheep listen to his voice. e calls his own sheep by name and leads them out. When he has brought out all his own, he goes on ahead of them, and his sheep follow him because they know his voice. But they will never follow a stranger; in fact, they will run away from him because they do not recognize a stranger's voice."

(John 10:14-16) “I am the good shepherd; I know my own and my own know me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for my sheep. And there are other sheep I have that are not of this fold, and these I have to lead as well. They too will listen to my voice, and there will be only one flock, and one shepherd.

(1 John 2: 27) “But you have not lost the anointing that he gave you, and you do not need anyone to teach you; the anointing he gave teaches you everything: you are anointed with truth, not with a lie, and as it has taught you, so you must stay in him.”

(Romans 8: 4) “He did this in order that the law’s just demands might be satisfied in us, who behave not as our unspiritual nature but as the Spirit dictates.”

What I would do given I was in that situation would be to search for staff help -- people who work with the animals and can re-direct them. And hopefully I'd remember to pray.

Are you making a straw man argument? Did I say one could not be a lawyer, teacher?

A Christian obeys God, and trust that God’s will, will be done in his or her life.

Jesus is the one who said we are not of the world, your argument is not with me, but with God.

I can’t bring you to know God, only God can do that. Jesus gave us his Holy Spirit to teach us to know God. If we are going to be taught by the Holy Spirit, one should know that the Holy Spirit will talk/communicate with him or her.

Also Jesus said he would call his own out by name, and they would recognize his voice. Does it not seem that he told us he would talk to us?

Now I will quote scripture that confirms what I just wrote. Ask the Holy Spirit/Jesus to help you understand these verses of scripture.

Do I still seem to be that cool whatever?
Johnlove~ I think you meant this post to go to Ghid?

Back