What Jesus Meant By "god Is A Spirit"

TalkJesus

Inactive
Editor's Note: Sorry for the typo in the title: "god" is meant to be capitalized as in "God".

John 4:19 The woman saith unto him, Sir, I perceive that thou art a prophet. 20 Our fathers worshipped in this mountain; and ye say, that in Jerusalem is the place where men ought to worship. 21 Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father. 22 Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews. 23 But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. 24 God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.

In context, Jesus is prophesying to the woman that a time was coming when believers will not be confined to worship God at a specific place like in Jerusalem nor in that mountain.

Now people should ask how to come to God the Father in worship then?

John 14:6 Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me. 7 If ye had known me, ye should have known my Father also: and from henceforth ye know him, and have seen him.

So no matter where you are, you can come to the Father in worship of Him in spirit and in truth when you go to the Son in worship of Him.

Honouring the Son of God is the only way to honour the Father:

John 5:23 That all men should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father. He that honoureth not the Son honoureth not the Father which hath sent him.

Glorifying the Son of God is the only way to glorify God the Father.

John 13:31 Therefore, when he was gone out, Jesus said, Now is the Son of man glorified, and God is glorified in him. 32 If God be glorified in him, God shall also glorify him in himself, and shall straightway glorify him.

That is the mind of Christ we are to have in worship anywhere.

Philippians 2:5 Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: 6 Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: 7 But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: 8 And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross. 9 Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name: 10 That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; 11 And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

That is worshipping God the Father in spirit and in truth anywhere and that is by way of the Son. So there is no more going to a place to worship Him when He is with us always and thus we come to God in worship of Him when we honour & glorify the Son wherever we are.

Back