1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

What Is Wrong With Sports Today?

Discussion in 'Sports, Games and Health' started by ApostlePeter, Apr 8, 2014.

1. I used to enjoy going to a sporting event or watching it on television. But lately, it has been unwatchable by the foul language and crude gestures by the spectators and athletes. Many of times, they have taken the Lord's name in vain. Its almost as if these people are possessed. Look at Tiger Woods who committed adultery numerous times, Alex Rodriguez who used performance enhancing drugs, or even Michael Vick who harmed God's wonderful creatures. Recently I read an article about a hockey game between the NYPD and FDNY and a brawl broke out. What happened to our good wholesome sports? When I coach, I teach my kids to respect each other and our opponents even if they are not so obliging. Does anyone else feel this way about today's sports? I may even cancel my subscription to the NFL because of this.
  2. I'm not a follower of sports although appreciate the sport as a form of fitness and skill. It seems it can get very brutal. It's good to hear of amazing athletes as christian. Any form of athleticism that requires many hours of training is worthy and respectable. Great for kids to get into. Teaching children correct attitudes and behaviour with a godly element - good for life- good for the battleground of sport. Those christian athletes show exemplary, respectful conduct while being competitive. It be good to find out more about christian sportspersons to inspire the children to keep working towards their dreams, developing their skills and talents in amazing ways.
  3. I can see this in martial arts. When I was young I started in traditional styles and we were taught humility, honor, respect. Even in competition we respected our opponents. Now with this mixed martial arts craze you see no respect, drunkenness, smack talking and terrible language. It is a disgrace and it is a perfect example as to how our society is going. I refuse to watch it and will never let my child watch it.
  4. I used to be a crazed College Football fan U of Tn... It was just a form of idolatry...plan and simple. When we won, I was happy..when we lost I was sad for days.. The Lord made me "fast" all sports for years until I could watch and enjoy it without letting it effect me as it had before. I think there are some good examples of godly men that can be seen in sports and some really bad examples. I would not have a NFL subscription but I don't know that I would cancel it because of these things if I had one? If I felt it was having a negative effect on me or others around me then I most likely would cancel it.
  5. I wish we had more fellows like Tim Tebow. Goes to church, prays before games, great attitude, led the prayer after games. They drove the poor guy out for being openly christian. I was hoping he would create a new wave of openly christian players that we can have our kids look up to. It's really sad:(
  6. I think that because our society is bored with such things as respecting one another and it just being all about 'fun'. Society is now more concerned about who the 'tough' guy really is and how he can prove himself and keep up that 'tough guy' persona. By tough guy persona I'm talking about what you pointed out; drunkenness, complete and utter disrespect for their opponents and others, prideful, vengeful, etc. This is what excites people nowadays, unfortunately. Like you said, it's quite sad to watch :(
  7. I used to be that athlete who would rile people up during soccer games on the field. I've played for over 25 years and still play on lower division co-ed teams. I used to hit people (legally most of the time) hard and not think twice about it and show disrespect to players and fans by swearing and talking trash. After being saved, I am finding myself to be more humble, helping people up that I knock down, apologizing quickly if I make a bad tackle out of anger and commending players for their positive attitudes and skill when shaking hands with them after the game. Please do not mistake this for boasting, this is more of an admission of growth. I would love to see all sports get back to the respect they once showed one another.
    Sal likes this.
  8. I'll open with some positives. In the UK, Outbreaks of violence amongst rival football (soccer) supporters has, I believe, reduced considerably over the past 20 years or so. There were even some clubs , eg. Millwall, whose "supporters" were well known for thuggery but I don't think that's the case now. I think there has been a shift in attitudes with clubs not wishing to be associated with this type of behaviour and being willing to ban from attending matches for life and possibly those just wanting to support their clubs being less willing accept violent elements in their numbers. Maybe policing has improved too - I'm not sure. It might also be worth noting that in more recent years, there have also been efforts to stamp out racism. Some things have changed for the better.

Some things have perhaps pretty much remained the same and there are differences between sports. Footballers have always (in my memory) argued with the refs where as rugby players tend to just accept the decisions. There is a rule in rugby where if the ref awards a penalty and a player argues, the ref will simply award the penalty 10 yards further into the offending sides territory which may account for some of this but my feeling is there always has been more respect for the refs in rugby. Footballers have always had a tendency to dive and writhe in agony over minor (if any) contact in an attempt to gain advantage or get an opposing player booked. That may however be something that improves over time as technology and the use of technology improves although the nature of the sport makes some usage difficult - people want the game to keep flowing and I don't think anyone would welcome a game being held up for reviews.

I think some of my changes for the worse are actually changes in attitude from me or with some thing resistance to change but here goes. I'll present them as dislikes:

I dislike the money in football and the way that there are only a few clubs that realistically stand a chance of winning the Premiership. There always have been big clubs and small clubs but the "poverty gap" seems to have increased and in my early years of watching football, I don't remember there being quite the same sort of untouchable elite group of half a dozen (until recently, it was termed "the big four", but with foreign investment, I think a couple of other clubs have entered) in the league system.

I dislike the marketing and what I (probably unfairly) in some cases call Americanisation of sport. It seems to have been accepted in some sports (although personally I find names like Yorkshire Phoenix, Kent Spitfires, etc. really grate) but has caused upsets in football. Hull City met with a lot of opposition (and I think eventually failed in there bid) to the attempt to change their name Hull Tigers. A lot of Cardiff supporters were upset when the new (I think Malaysian) owner changed the colour of their kit to red as he decided he wanted to market it as a Welsh club and people associate red with Wales, insensitive to the supporters wishes and to the fact that Cardiff had long been nicknamed the bluebirds because of their kit (football clubs btw have always had nicknames but they have never formed part of the club name). For me this and clubs now referring to eg. their "brand names" seems to be removing any remaining local aspect to supporting a team. Admittedly this has always been a little farcical as in my memory, no league club has ever drawn solely from players in the surrounding area but I never used to feel (at times) that these clubs are businesses or that realistically, I might as well (in the sense that I sometimes feel these are just businesses designed to make more rather that really being connected to a town or city) be watching say Asda (Walmart in the US) United as "My City" - at times, there would almost seem to be more honesty about it.

Probably more importantly I've grown to dislike the importance people seem to put on sport (I can't help but feel these days there's something amiss when the outcome of a bunch of people kicking a piece of leather around can seem to be more important than the real problems the world faces) and the effect it can have on some people. At home, match can be bad because my father gets so worked up even before the game starts. Any "wrong" comment can spark off a tantrum.

More personally, I've come to question my wishing certain teams fail. I think part of one side perhaps could be mitigated slightly as only a few clubs are really in the running and the bigger clubs do appear to a number of us to get the more favourable ref decisions but should I really let it become almost a sort of hatred where I've felt say, I don't care who wins the Premiership as long as it's not Manchester United. Or with a struggling club (I support - well more keep an eye on these days but sometimes I still can get carried away - Norwich City who I think will be relegated this year) should I really be wishing misfortune on other clubs as it seems the only way they are likely to survive will be for other clubs to do even worse?

As for drugs. I'm against this form of cheating but I'm possibly fortunate in the sports I can enjoy. While a drug may give a footballer a bit more stamina or enable a fast bowler to get a couple of extra overs in, I don't believe any drug would give the footballer the insight as to when and who to pass the ball to or enable the fast bowler to bowl accurately, varying his deliveries as he attempts to out think the batsman. That doesn't make any use of drugs right but I feel I'd be more concerned about it if I was a follower of say athletics or cycling where I believe drugs are probably more likely to be a ticket to the next level of performance.

I suppose the other aspect I will mention is match fixing where players are paid to make something happen (using cricket, a bowler could agree to bowl a couple of no balls, a batsman give his wicket away, etc.). I'd really hate to watch a game thinking that players may be playing for someone other than the team but I fear that betting is probably on the increase and would imagine that may well lead to the problem becoming more common.
  9. I thought cricket had one once in a South African test player, Hansie Crojne. He was full of enthusiasm for the game and made it known he was a born again Christian. Sadly, he managed to get himself caught up in match fixing and was banned from cricket for life. I think a number of people were shocked at the time - it seemed so unlikely that he would get involved in such a thing. Even more sadly, he didn't live long. He was killed in a plane crash in 2002 aged 32.

Things turned out better for an England test player, David Sheppard (who's playing days were mostly before I was born) though. He went on to become the Bishop of Liverpool.