What is the true definition of meekness?

Sir Thomas Browne explained: "Meekness takes injuries like pills, not chewing, but swallowing them down." This indicates that meekness allows a person to overlook or forgive perceived insults or offenses

I got that from wikipedia...

in a way I find that to be true...

but in the same breath , wouldn't it make it near impossible to forgive if ..**Let me give an example ( you have a christian mother , you still live w/ her and can't move out due to financial issues and can't move in w/ anyone else either..so youre stuck.. and she slyly,subtly berates you, acts mild manner and sweet for a time and flips either slips subtly insults or just berates you... and makes you apologize, and tell you they did nothing wrong...

Wouldn't it be hard to forgive since they keep provoking you over and over.. and you're forced to be with them?

How would anyone forgive in a situation like this ?

((Also this in no way reflects my life, me and my mom get along fine ^^.. and she isn't saved..but I still have hope.. like I said, the above was used to simply paint a picture.))

Also It seems like, if you have to constantly apologize for something you feel you didn't do
it breaks you down as a person... i don't see that as being humble or meek, it just seems degrading IMO

But let me know what you think :)

this site is really helping me :http://www.cgg.org/index.cfm/fuseac...RSONAL/k/237/The-Fruit-of-Spirit-Meekness.htm

i think im starting to get it...

"
As shown earlier, meekness is the by-product of a of elements, not the least of which are deep, thorough humility and an awareness of the seriousness of what our past conduct produced, especially toward Jesus Christ. These things have tamed the beast, broken our self-will and made our minds receptive to the pure influences of God's Spirit. This is not natural but supernatural, the product of God's grace toward us and His Spirit working and growing in us. It very deeply, sometimes radically, alters our perspective of God, His purpose, the trials of life, the self and other people.

This is very important regarding trials because meekness is the opposite of self-will toward God and of ill-will toward men. In his commentary on Matthew 5:5, Matthew Henry writes, "The meek are those who quietly themselves to God, to His word and to His rod, who follow His directions, and comply with His designs, and are gentle towards all men"

biblical examples of meekness:
"God disciplines every son He loves (Hebrews 12:6), and sometimes the disciplines are very difficult to bear. We have passionate drives within us to flee from them, or at the very least, to grumble and murmur under their burden. But the meek will not do this. They will endure the PRIVATION, embarrassment, pain, loss, ignorance orpersecution with quiet patience because they know that God is sovereign over all and He is working in their lives.

Aaron's response to God's execution of his two sons is an example:

Then Nadab and Abihu, the sons of Aaron, each took his censer and put fire in it, put incense on it, and OFFERED profane fire before the Lord, which He had not commanded them. So fire went out from the Lord and devoured them, and they died before the Lord. Then Moses said to Aaron, "This what the Lord spoke, saying: ‘By those who come near Me I must be regarded as holy; and before all the people I must be glorified.'" So Aaron held his peace. (Leviticus 10:1-3)

This was a shocking, bitter pill to swallow, but Aaron took it properly, meekly. He was growing. In Psalm 39:9, David refers to a difficult situation he was experiencing, leaving us this example: "I was mute, I did not OPEN my mouth, because it was You who did it."

Meekness enables a person to bear patiently those insults and injuries he receives at the hand of others. It makes him ready to accept instruction from the least of the saints. It allows him to endure provocation without being inflamed by it. He remains cool when others become heated. Meek people seek no private revenge; they leave that to God's sense of justice while they seek to remain true in their calling and meet God's standards.

The spirit of meekness enables its possessor to squeeze great enjoyment from his earthly portion, be it small or great.

Alright, thats the gist of it... and it seems..meekness is just a like allowing yourself to be a doormat, no ofense... I do understand it..but meekness is a bitter pill to swallow..or rather the bitterest pill to produce.

The statement, "Wise as serpents, but harmless as doves," comes to mind. "Meekness" in terms of submission for the sake of Christ, entering into His own sufferings; and yet not subjugating or surrendering our trust in Christ, in the midst of coalescence, for the sake of peace, and the example of Christ to those around us who would wish to subjugate us.

Paul talked about being "content in whatever state I am in," which is a statement based on a life of misery, once he surrendered to God and lived for Him. The boldness of the Gospel, but the spirit of love and compassion. A message of hope, in the face of adversity.

-Soupy

Sir Thomas Browne explained: "Meekness takes injuries like pills, not chewing, but swallowing them down." This indicates that meekness allows a person to overlook or forgive perceived insults or offenses

but in the same breath , wouldn't it make it near impossible to forgive if ..**Let me give an example ( you have a christian mother , you still live w/ her and can't move out due to financial issues and can't move in w/ anyone else either..so youre stuck.. and she slyly,subtly berates you, acts mild manner and sweet for a time and flips either slips subtly insults or just berates you... and makes you apologize, and tell you they did nothing wrong...

Wouldn't it be hard to forgive since they keep provoking you over and over.. and you're forced to be with them?

((Also this in no way reflects my life, me and my mom get along fine ^^.. and she isn't saved..but I still have hope.. like I said, the above was used to simply paint a picture.))

Also It seems like, if you have to constantly apologize for something you feel you didn't do
it breaks you down as a person... i don't see that as being humble or meek, it just seems degrading IMO

It is not about how many times or if they change or anything else like that. Scripture tells us to forgive. You just do it and if you have to forgive some one 1 million times in one day so be it. Every time you catch your self thinking or saying anything that does not line up with forgiveness then repent and forgive them and Pray for them.. Not that God will change them or anything like this but honest heart filled lift them up and blerss them prayers.

In time you will come to the place where these offences do not even bother you at all.
The hard part is making up your mind and making the choice to ber willing to be willing to walk in His ways. Then it gets easier.
God Bless
Jim

Your story brought these verses right to my head:
Matthew 18:21-22King James Version (KJV)
21 Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? till seven times?
22 Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.

By the way, meek means humble.

I tend to agree/like this one: "meekness is power under control....Power under God’s control"

http://www.theologyofwork.org/new-t...k-for-they-will-inherit-the-earth-matthew-55/

The third beatitude puzzles many people in the workplace, in part because they don’t understand what it means to be meek. Many assume the term means weak, tame, or deficient in courage. But the biblical understanding of meekness is power under control. In the Old Testament, Moses was described as the meekest man on earth (Numbers 12:3, KJV). Jesus described himself as “meek and lowly” (Matt. 11:28-29, KJV), which was consistent with his vigorous action in cleansing the temple (Matt. 21:12-13).

Power under God’s control means two things: (1) refusal to inflate our own self-estimation; and (2) reticence to assert ourselves for ourselves. Paul captures the first aspect perfectly in
Romans 12:3. “For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of yourself more highly than you ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.” Meek people see themselves as servants of God, not thinking more highly of themselves than they ought to think. To be meek is to accept our strengths and limitations for what they truly are, instead of constantly trying to portray ourselves in the best possible light. But it does not mean that we should deny our strengths and abilities. When asked if he was the Messiah, Jesus replied, “The blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have good news brought to them. And blessed is anyone who takes no offense at me” (Matt. 11:4-6). He had neither an inflated self-image nor an inferiority complex, but a servant’s heart based on what Paul would later call “sober judgment” (Romans 12:3).

Meekness is placing other peoples concerns over yours.
Philippians 2:
1 Is there any encouragement from belonging to Christ? Any comfort from his love? Any fellowship together in the Spirit? Are your hearts tender and compassionate? 2 Then make me truly happy by agreeing wholeheartedly with each other, loving one another, and working together with one mind and purpose.

3 Don’t be selfish; don’t try to impress others. Be humble, thinking of others as better than yourselves. 4 Don’t look out only for your own interests, but take an interest in others, too.

5 You must have the same attitude that Christ Jesus had.

6 Though he was God,
he did not think of equality with God
as something to cling to.
7 Instead, he gave up his divine privileges;
he took the humble position of a slave
and was born as a human being.
When he appeared in human form,
8 he humbled himself in obedience to God
and died a criminal’s death on a cross.

9 Therefore, God elevated him to the place of highest honor
and gave him the name above all other names,
10 that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow,
in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
11 and every tongue declare that Jesus Christ is Lord,
to the glory of God the Father.
-------
Now there is nothing easy about being meek or humble. Just keep growing in the Word of God. I understand far more now than I did when I was a teenager or a 20 something. You will understand more, too. The more you grow in faith by reading and studying the Bible, the quicker you come to greater understanding. Our self will is a most difficult power to overcome.

Reactions: aha
http://www.theologyofwork.org/new-t...k-for-they-will-inherit-the-earth-matthew-55/

A servant’s heart is the crux of the second aspect of meekness: reticence to assert ourselves for ourselves. We exercise power, but for the benefit of all people, not just ourselves. The second aspect is captured by Psalm 37:1-11a, which begins with, “Do not fret because of the wicked,” and ends with “the meek shall inherit the land.” It means we curb our urge to avenge the wrongs done against us, and instead use whatever power we have to serve others. It flows from the sorrow for our own weaknesses that comprises the second beatitude. If we feel sorrow for our own sins, can we really feel vengeful over the sins of others?

Reactions: Juk
Psalm 37:1-11New King James Version (NKJV)
A Psalm of David.

37 Do not fret because of evildoers,
Nor be envious of the workers of iniquity.

2 For they shall soon be cut down like the grass,
And wither as the green herb.

3 Trust in the Lord, and do good;
Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness.

4 Delight yourself also in the Lord,
And He shall give you the desires of your heart.

5 Commit your way to the Lord,
Trust also in Him,

And He shall bring it to pass.
6 He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light,
And your justice as the noonday.

7 Rest in the Lord, and wait patiently for Him;
Do not fret because of him who prospers in his way,
Because of the man who brings wicked schemes to pass.
8 Cease from anger, and forsake wrath;
Do not fret—it only causes harm.

9 For evildoers shall be cut off;
But those who wait on the Lord,
They shall inherit the earth.

10 For yet a little while and the wicked shall be no more;
Indeed, you will look carefully for his place,
But it shall be no more.

11 But the meek shall inherit the earth,
And shall delight themselves in the abundance of peace.

.............Meek people see themselves as servants of God, not thinking more highly of themselves than they ought to think. To be meek is to accept our strengths and limitations for what they truly are, instead of constantly trying to portray ourselves in the best possible light...........

Well said!!

-Soupy

I tend to agree/like this one: "meekness is power under control....Power under God’s control"

The third beatitude puzzles many people in the workplace, in part because they don’t understand what it means to be meek. Many assume the term means weak, tame, or deficient in courage. But the biblical understanding of meekness is power under control. In the Old Testament, Moses was described as the meekest man on earth (Numbers 12:3, KJV). Jesus described himself as “meek and lowly” (Matt. 11:28-29, KJV), which was consistent with his vigorous action in cleansing the temple (Matt. 21:12-13).

Power under God’s control means two things: (1) refusal to inflate our own self-estimation; and (2) reticence to assert ourselves for ourselves. Paul captures the first aspect perfectly in
Romans 12:3. “For by the grace given to me I say to everyone among you not to think of yourself more highly than you ought to think, but to think with sober judgment, each according to the measure of faith that God has assigned.” Meek people see themselves as servants of God, not thinking more highly of themselves than they ought to think. To be meek is to accept our strengths and limitations for what they truly are, instead of constantly trying to portray ourselves in the best possible light. But it does not mean that we should deny our strengths and abilities. When asked if he was the Messiah, Jesus replied, “The blind receive their sight, the lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, the deaf hear, the dead are raised, and the poor have good news brought to them. And blessed is anyone who takes no offense at me” (Matt. 11:4-6). He had neither an inflated self-image nor an inferiority complex, but a servant’s heart based on what Paul would later call “sober judgment” (Romans 12:3).
Or humility...

Reactions: aha
Or humility...

Yes indeed.

i think, as a concept: "meekness" is a small circle inside the big circle of "humility"

both words pertains to relationships...

humility involves 3 relationships: man towards his Creator, towards oneself and towards others...

while meekness, imo, involves only 2 relationships: man towards his Creator and towards others...

just a thought : )

Reactions: Juk
Yes indeed.

i think, as a concept: "meekness" is a small circle inside the big circle of "humility"

both words pertains to relationships...

humility involves 3 relationships: man towards his Creator, towards oneself and towards others...

while meekness, imo, involves only 2 relationships: man towards his Creator and towards others...

just a thought : )
I agree.

I see meekness as character of restraining power.. It is not like being powerful.. Fully able to change something through power, but restraining from doing the same.. That is true meekness..

Back