What Is God?

Good point. That's for me to find out. You will have to wait until I die. If there is no afterlife, oh well.

Not my perspective - your perspective:

Finally, you would have to be aware of all that which is and/or has been known or experienced by all individuals of all times in case He had revealed Himself to only certain peoples at certain times.

And I said, With eternal torture in the mix, your god is playing favourites?

No more strawmen please.

Stawman? You obviously could not comprehend what I was talking about...but for your reference He has made Himself known in the things He has made...all men are without excuse!

Stawman? You obviously could not comprehend what I was talking about...but for your reference He has made Himself known in the things He has made...all men are without excuse!

Got caught with your pants down. So, you are changing your story?

Cool - when is Science or Nature publishing your proof that god existed before the big bang?

Science and Nature are good periodicals I had three consecutive years of subscriptions to both...they are incapable of studying God (the man in the box problem) so they never published anything one way or the other...that does not demonstrate He does not exist and God is not the concern of science. Usually an Atheist eventually makes the box so small that they will accept as proof that can be scientifically determined, and then when you show them what science has shown which could indicate a God, then they make it smaller by only allowing a most recent timeline, and then even smaller by only allowing Evolutionary Biologists...as the discussion unfolds we can speak of more and more about less and less until we have said everything about nothing at all...

That sounds tricky. What does someone do anything when they no longer exist?

Hmmm? Yes! What does someone do anything?

Last edited:
Why? If god gave us logic, powerful/large brains and language, why can we not use them to expland our knowledge about the nature of god?

I ran into this argument while enrolled at my catholic high school 25 years ago. I am still waiting a reasonable answer.
I think you need to re-read my post. I encourage the use of your brain. We have it for a reason. Though it is not large. We need to accept our limitations.

Here is the full list of traits, as I have read them, in the bible:

1. omnipotent (Revelation 19:6; Jeremiah 32:17, 27),
2. omnipresent (Psalm 139:7-13; Jeremiah 23:23),
3. omniscient (Psalm 139:1-5; Proverbs 5:21; 1 John 3:20).
4. infinite (Deuteronomy 33:27; Psalm 90:2; 1 Timothy 1:17),
5. incomparable (2 Samuel 7:22; Psalm 86:8; Isaiah 40:25; Matthew 5:48),
6. unfathomable (Isaiah 40:28; Psalm 145:3; Romans 11:33, 34),
7. incorruptible (Psalm 117:2; 1 Samuel 15:29),
8. unequaled (2 Samuel 7:22; Isaiah 40:25),
9. an all consuming fire (Isaiah 6:3; Habakkuk 1:13; Exodus 3:2, 4-5; Hebrews 12:29),
10. does not change (Malachi 3:6; Psalm 102:26-27),
11. does not lie (Numbers 23:19; 1 Samuel 15:29; Titus 1:2),
12. jesalous (Exodus 20:4-5),
13. creates evil (Isaiah 45:7),
14. is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything (Acts 17:25),
15. good (Romans 11:22),
16. gracious (Exodus 34:5-6),
17. manifests in the material world (Acts 17:28),
18. immaterial (John 4:24; Isaiah 57:15),
19. incomprehensible (Isaiah 40:28),
20. love (1 John 4:16),
21. the source of all life (Acts 17:25),
22. three gods in one (1 John 5:7) and
23. wrathful (Exodus 15:7; Deuteronomy 9; Psalm 69:24; John 3:36).

What would the combination of all the above 23 traits give us? Noting that some are contradictory and others may be limited, due to the problem of evil and the Euthyphro dilemma.
Well surely your large brain (;) no offence) tells you that 'create evil' and 'wrathful' are two that swim against the current of the rest? We have dealt with God creates evil and Rom 9 already. Regarding wrathful, have you read Jonah 4:2? It puts His wrath in its appropriate context ''He prayed to the Lord, “Isn’t this what I said, Lord, when I was still at home? That is what I tried to forestall by fleeing to Tarshish. I knew that you are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abounding in love, a God who relents from sending calamity.''

Our large brains should grasp the reason for God sending plagues at increasing levels of severity to the Egyptians.

Lets use our 'large' brains for simple lateral thought.

1. God made you. He didn't have to.
2. God became a lamb to the slaughter for your sin. He didn't have to. He created us initially without sin. All babies go to heaven for a reason.
3. He clearly says in many scriptures that He is impartial / no respecter of persons. The whomsoever will may accept John 3:16. His impartiality is the most significant verse / attribute needed to accompany those mentioning His omniscience and sovereignty. Without it there is no free will. With it we have free will.
4. God upholds who He is to the maximum. Proven by the cross. The cross is our confidence in free will. Any brain with IQ >10 should / can
grasp that a God that comes and makes Himself a lamb for us to do with as we please...is goodness / loving / humble personified....is more then capable of giving us true free will....especially when a 'hell' is mentioned.

Last edited:
Well this turned ugly.
Workmx, I don't believe in eternal conscious Torment in hell. Neither do a lot of people. Skim through my Annihilationism thread and watch the video Ken posted on there. I used to think God was evil too before l learned about that belief.

As for God controlling everything, there are different schools of thought on that. Calvinists believe that God controls every detail. He creates evil and good and only the "elect" get into heaven no matter what the others do. I agree that if that was the way it worked then God is evil. But, there is also Arminianism. They believe in more of an open future where our decisions do matter.

There is not just one way to look at these things, even if that's what you've been taught.

Got caught with your pants down. So, you are changing your story?

Now that proves it...you really did miss the entire point...I have to conclude since you are insisting on this false accusation that you are not capable of following the obvious logic of my post...my story remains the same and not changed...the atheist cannot know there is no God (and of course cannot and never will be able to prove their position)

Thus their position is indefensible....talk about a blind faith?!?

BP - it is clear you said that god was only revealed to certain people at certain times.

Now you say that god is revealed to all.

What's the story morning glory?

BP - it is clear you said that god was only revealed to certain people at certain times.

God reaches out to all John 3:16 but only reveals Himself to those who are seeking Him Jer 17:10, Rev 3:20, 1 Cor 12:3.

God is good, not dumb.

First off I did not day He was "only" revealed to certain people at certain times but I said it could be that He has not revealed Himself to you...but there is enough empirical evidence that you should not dismiss the possibility of God (which if you are telling the truth you do not)

So "What's the story morning glory?"Both...many things in nature should lead the many to know there must be a God(s) but at the same time God has revealed Himself specifically to certain people at different times in different places for His purposes....this is NOT contradictory...we call it His general revelation and His special (or specific) revelation...would you require examples of how each can true?

Thanks KJ. That seems to highlight the problem.
I understand what you're saying. I begged for years for some sort of sign. I just wanted God to affirm that He was there so that there would be proof in my mind. All that time asking and He didn't but last year He did. I mean, He didn't come down in a pillar of light or anything but he spoke through my brother in law, who wasn't a Christian at the time.

I think God does reveal Himself blatantly sometimes, but generally it's just a gentle tug at your heart. Or maybe a small event that seemed impossible.

Why does God not come down in the middle of New York City and show He's real? Because some people wouldn't believe anyway. Some people are so against Christianity that even if it was true they wouldn't believe it. I'm not saying you are like that but I definitely have met people that wouldn't believe no matter what.

I know god is real because after people die, they see god. God will reveal himself to you after you die. We can't see god because we haven't died naturally yet.

I understand what you're saying. I begged for years for some sort of sign. I just wanted God to affirm that He was there so that there would be proof in my mind. All that time asking and He didn't but last year He did. I mean, He didn't come down in a pillar of light or anything but he spoke through my brother in law, who wasn't a Christian at the time.

I think God does reveal Himself blatantly sometimes, but generally it's just a gentle tug at your heart. Or maybe a small event that seemed impossible.

Why does God not come down in the middle of New York City and show He's real? Because some people wouldn't believe anyway. Some people are so against Christianity that even if it was true they wouldn't believe it. I'm not saying you are like that but I definitely have met people that wouldn't believe no matter what.

" Blessed are those who believe and have not seen"

Back