What Is A Generational Oppression/curse?

thank you. its all we can do. I just hope these behaviors are never passed down to my kids.

YW; you know, if despite parents' best efforts, children happen to witness bad behavior by a relative, a comment such as "Well, (so-and-so) needs to love the Lord Jesus more, as we all do" might be an appropriate response. But you must know, in the end, about your family strategies. Blessings.

YW; you know, if despite parents' best efforts, children happen to witness bad behavior by a relative, a comment such as "Well, (so-and-so) needs to love the Lord Jesus more, as we all do" might be an appropriate response. But you must know, in the end, about your family strategies. Blessings.

this is what we are working on. how to handle this. I think right now its getting her to understand that she may be the mom but we are adults and its our decision what and who is in our kids lives, what they are allowed around and where they are allowed to go. we are putting God before her and doing what is best for our family.

this is what we are working on. how to handle this. I think right now its getting her to understand that she may be the mom but we are adults and its our decision what and who is in our kids lives, what they are allowed around and where they are allowed to go. we are putting God before her and doing what is best for our family.

Well, exactly, and your MIL - whom you love and pray for but don't follow blindly - should respect this.

Blessings.

Our method of Salvation has changed (between Old and New Testaments)

I have to respectfully disagree my Brother;

If you are referring to 'burnt sacrifices and offerings' than I would say; yes the 'sacrifice' part of the process is not the same.

Whereas our 'salvation' from the beginning has always been the the same process: Faith + obedience + love though His Grace.

A question I would like to ask, when god curses you is he doing it himself or through satan.

Exodus 34:7 and Lamentations 5:7 talk about the iniquities or sins of the father and children and children's children to the fourth generation being punished..... im not sure if God is the one doing this or if he is just allowing satan to do so much to get people to repent. I just want to know if this is relevant after Jesus died, do people still have to pay for the sins of the father or mother?

Exodus 34:7 and Lamentations 5:7 talk about the iniquities or sins of the father and children and children's children to the fourth generation being punished..... im not sure if God is the one doing this or if he is just allowing satan to do so much to get people to repent. I just want to know if this is relevant after Jesus died, do people still have to pay for the sins of the father or mother?
I don't know.

I just want to know if this is relevant after Jesus died, do people still have to pay for the sins of the father or mother?

What helps me with context on this subject is thinking about Abraham. Because of his sin we all grow up with it around us. Only being saved gives us victory. So likewise, I don't see demons leaving a household until Jesus comes in. That would then start the generational blessings :).

Unless the sins of our parents is gambling and they leave us with debt :oops:.

If you have accepted Christ and live in love and show mercy and forgiveness-live in the Spirit-there is not a carrying over of sins from your parents or to your children. We are accountable for our own sins-not the sins of others.

Do we often suffer from the consequences of our 'fathers' sins? Yes-if their is no reconciliation it can carry on for 'generations.' But that does not mean you are accountable to God for their sin if you do everything prescribed by God to remedy the situation.

Now if we continue the same sins as our 'fathers' for 'generations', this would be akin to a 'curse' because of the lack of repentance and Christ like behavior.

The perfect example of this is the Book of Second Kings: First comes a good king, then bad, another bad, another bad, then the next repents and is a good king.

I think you should read all of 1 & 2 Kings.

What helps me with context on this subject is thinking about Abraham. Because of his sin we all grow up with it around us. Only being saved gives us victory. So likewise, I don't see demons leaving a household until Jesus comes in. That would then start the generational blessings :).

Unless the sins of our parents is gambling and they leave us with debt :oops:.

both my husband and I are saved and are trying our best to make sure we always follow God and put Jesus first in everything we do, at times we fail which is normal because we are not perfect. but its the being told that I have demonic attachment and that I have a generational curse (because my parents drink and do drugs, are bad with money and have a few mental disorders (undiagnosed)). I suffer from depression and anxiety, I rarely ever drink (I have a bottle of wine maybe 3x a year), not enough to even consider calling myself a drinker, I do not smoke, I don't do any type of drugs, not even prescriptions, I think I do a decent job at managing my money. I have been divorced, I married young, had children, but I was controlled, emotionally and mentally abused and cheated on. I am being told I have all these problems and attachments because of my past and my family, by someone who keeps repeating the same sin over and over and only preaches to peoples faces to make themselves look like a good Christian. im starting to think she is trying to make me believe that I have a "curse" so that I will feel bad, because she feels bad for living in such sin while calling God her father. I repented from my sins and I ask for forgiveness everytime I slip but I do my best not to repeat that sin ( like cussing). I know to God all sins weigh the same, there aren't levels of sin (like big to small and such) but I don't believe we are supposed to ask for forgiveness for a sin (like pre-marital s*x, drug use, abusing people and so forth) just to keep doing it over and over and over. our salvation is not to be used as "fire insurance" .

both my husband and I are saved and are trying our best to make sure we always follow God and put Jesus first in everything we do, at times we fail which is normal because we are not perfect. but its the being told that I have demonic attachment and that I have a generational curse (because my parents drink and do drugs, are bad with money and have a few mental disorders (undiagnosed)). I suffer from depression and anxiety, I rarely ever drink (I have a bottle of wine maybe 3x a year), not enough to even consider calling myself a drinker, I do not smoke, I don't do any type of drugs, not even prescriptions, I think I do a decent job at managing my money. I have been divorced, I married young, had children, but I was controlled, emotionally and mentally abused and cheated on. I am being told I have all these problems and attachments because of my past and my family, by someone who keeps repeating the same sin over and over and only preaches to peoples faces to make themselves look like a good Christian. im starting to think she is trying to make me believe that I have a "curse" so that I will feel bad, because she feels bad for living in such sin while calling God her father. I repented from my sins and I ask for forgiveness everytime I slip but I do my best not to repeat that sin ( like cussing). I know to God all sins weigh the same, there aren't levels of sin (like big to small and such) but I don't believe we are supposed to ask for forgiveness for a sin (like pre-marital s*x, drug use, abusing people and so forth) just to keep doing it over and over and over. our salvation is not to be used as "fire insurance" .

Yes-when we confess-it should be in conjunction with repentance (which means to turn away from/ turn around from/ change direction from the path of sin). Does God forgive without repentance? That's debatable. Salvation is given to all who accept and believe on Him. In that sense we are already forgiven and allotted a place in the eternal kingdom. Blessings and rewards come with obedience and sacrifice thereafter. Obedience means -'stop sinning and follow Christ'.

If it is wickedness coming from the mouth of your mother-in-law; let it fall out the other side of your hearing without another thought. Live for Christ...

Yes-when we confess-it should be in conjunction with repentance (which means to turn away from/ turn around from/ change direction from the path of sin). Does God forgive without repentance? That's debatable. Salvation is given to all who accept and believe on Him. In that sense we are already forgiven and allotted a place in the eternal kingdom. Blessings and rewards come with obedience and sacrifice thereafter. Obedience means -'stop sinning and follow Christ'.

If it is wickedness coming from the mouth of your mother-in-law; let it fall out the other side of your hearing without another thought. Live for Christ...

Her speaking this stuff in my home cannot open any doorways to let evil in can it? I try to let what she says go in one ear and out the other, but she is constantly preaching to me and telling me how to be a good Christian wife (she is twice divorced) and getting jealous of the attention that her son (my husband) gives to me. and any time he has hurt me she has took his side and blamed me for it like I deserved it (even tho he always tells her he was in the wrong, and always makes things right by me). she constantly tells me that God hasn't forgave me or my husband for being intimate before we got married, even tho we repented, I moved out and in with my parents and we remained celibate until we got married. Her other son has a live in girlfriend who I call my sis in law and I love them both so much, but it bothers me that when she is with them she is a different person, yes she occasionally preaches to my sil about her needing to move out and that they are living in sin, but mil is living in the same sin but says do as I say not as I do, I am the mother. she talks about all the s*x she has and with who, cusses, talks about other s*xual things she wants to do, and well, doesn't act all preachy and Christian like at their home, she even was with one of her boyfriends in her bil and sil's bed. I don't see her as even trying to be Christian, but in my home she tells me I have demonic attachments and curses and points out objects in my home that have demons living in them (all my possessions and gifts to me from my hubby, never his things) and tells me to throw them away and tells me God has given her the power to anoint and bless things and wants me to let her cast out the demons.... I talk with God daily and sing his praises, He has told me for the last year to Guard my marriage and more recently he has told me that I am his beautiful creation and not to let outside forces cause me to harm myself ( I started cutting again and I am ashamed). I have told her before that God told me to Guard my marriage and she told me He wouldn't tell me that, but that God tells her things, like how my husband should leave me and the children at home and travel the US playing guitar. (hubby told me that she has always told him she wants him to be famous so that he can take care of her and she will never have to work again). I love my mother in law, don't get me wrong, we were close for awhile, I pray for her, but I rarely feel Christ's love come from her, I do not see her as a Christian role model. I know that she needs help and prayer and so do I, but I cannot let her speak evil into my home and I certainly do not want her trying to cast out demons from my body that I do not believe are there.

It sounds to me that your MIL spends WAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY too much time in your home.

Christ abhors hypocrisy above all else in my opinion; think on the way He chastised the Pharisees in the temple.

On another point; I think you need to turn this around and take the focus off of your mother-in-law. You seem to be at the point of letting it overtake you. If you are reverting back 'old habits' this is the stress in your life manifesting itself physically.

Get away by serving in God's ministry-serve others.Serve Christ and your husband before anyone else. Get in a Church home with your husband leading and get involved in something: whether it be knocking on doors handing out tracts/ sharing the Gospel, youth/ bus ministry, Sunday school, music program, etc....do something to release the worldly stress and take the focus off of your mother-in law.

Let her sin be on her own head, get a good Bible believer Pastor tell you how much bologna she is spewing. It sounds to me she is purposely trying to wedge herself between you and your husband-are you sharing the things on this forum with him?

You should! (Sign of a good open and transparent helpmeet.)

Don't let anything be done in the dark (behind your husbands back); lest he find out and the second sin be worse than the first.

yes I tell him everything, he is my best friend. when she comes over she stays later than we want usually or she starts to be disrespectful, and sometimes makes me feel an inch tall and has complained to me about how her son has to pay for everything including things for my children (from previous marriage), but she knows that he has asked me to stay home and raise our daughter. she has said that she doesn't think her son is happy, but of course she doesn't see how happy he is when he comes home from work and his mom isn't here. he doesn't like company here when he gets home because he wants to see us and relax. mil thinks that only pertains to my family and friends, who are never at my home. honestly its just they way she is, she has told her sons that no woman will ever be good enough for them. and she gets mad if they put a woman before her. bil's ex-wife had problems with her too because she was always in the middle of things.

I am trying to just pray and let go and let god but I know that after all this there will be something else. hubby doesn't want any bad blood between him and his mom or me and his mom, but he knows that she won't change, she goes back and forth between who she always was to this holier than thou "Christian" woman who preaches and spouts out verses and points out your flaws and tells you how God hasn't forgiven you and that she has power to anoint and bless people and objects and no one hears God talk other than her and acts like she is completely sinless.

sometimes I feel like I am over my head when dealing with her. I don't want her to try to come between my husband and me, just because he has chosen me over her. she has so far to me been the type of person who will and can build you up and tear you down all in one breath. I have dealt with abuse my whole life and have dealt with insecurity and needing approval my whole life and she knows it and uses it against me.

Let Christ and your husband and your Church family build you up. You are going to have to learn let the things your mother -in-law does roll off your back somehow. I wish I could tell you how to do that. From a Biblical standpoint; focus on the ministry of Christ.

You ARE already responsible in several ministries: #1 An Ambassador of God. #2 A wife, #3 A mother. You are not responsible for your mother-in-law.

Luke 12:
27 Consider the lilies how they grow: they toil not, they spin not; and yet I say unto you, that Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these.
28 If then God so clothe the grass, which is to day in the field, and to morrow is cast into the oven; how much more will he clothe you, O ye of little faith?
29 And seek not ye what ye shall eat, or what ye shall drink, neither be ye of doubtful mind.
30 For all these things do the nations of the world seek after: and your Father knoweth that ye have need of these things.
31 But rather seek ye the kingdom of God; and all these things shall be added unto you.
32 Fear not, little flock; for it is your Father's good pleasure to give you the kingdom.

If you are going to 'stress & worry' refocus that energy on the tasks God has already appointed you. There is no easy solution to your mother-in-law problem. Frankly from the sounds of things, I don't think you should ever be around her your even talk/chat with without your husband being present. Maybe that's a start?

thank you for your insight on this. its hard and may get harder, but as long as God knows the truth and keeps my hubby's eyes open to this I think it will slowly get better. I will try to be better at following God and I will allow no more talk of demons in my home. my home is my families sanctuary and where we feel safe. im going to try to put all my energy in following God and being a better Christian wife/mother and ambassador. :)

thank you for your insight on this. its hard and may get harder, but as long as God knows the truth and keeps my hubby's eyes open to this I think it will slowly get better. I will try to be better at following God and I will allow no more talk of demons in my home. my home is my families sanctuary and where we feel safe. im going to try to put all my energy in following God and being a better Christian wife/mother and ambassador. :)

Sounds like a good plan! ;)

Just remember-don't force it-allow God to work His way in His time. Our ways are feeble. (BTW: you do have a voice in your own home; don't be afraid to tell your mother-in-law she is being ridiculous-in a loving kind and gentle way with your husband present.)

Demonic oppression is something I have felt I'm under. I never truly manage to escape or get that relationship with Christ. Fits and starts, periods of going astray, most of the time just trying to live with things and never managing to be a fruitful Christian.

The generational thing frightens the wits out of me though. I went their maybe 15 years ago and only found a world of accusations. That coupled with a failed exorcism is a time I'd rather forget.

It's rather sad, but never will you find more denial than asking relatives to fess up to the bad behavior of their wayward pasts. You're more likely to get honest answers from a complete stranger.

What I would suggest - go have a heart to heart with a pastor you trust - if Catholic, Coptic or Orthodox go to confession, and take full communion at every liturgy. Go to church minimum once a week. Get into the habit of daily prayers - the more the better. Spend quiet time outdoors with just you, God, and the wildlife. Clean up personal behavior and attitudes, bathe regularly, dress well, be happy, be kind, speak well, do not lust, do not drink, don't drugs or associate with losers and malcontents. Basically - get your soul clean, do regular maintenance, and do the same for the body.
You want to make it easy for God to speak to you and hard for Satan to.

Back