what do you think about the NIV and the ESV bible?

I suppose the core or bottom line in reading the Holy Bible is to find so as to attain spiritual salvation, in order to be with God in His Eternal Kingdom.

Therefore, the first thing that we need to "discover" or more specifically is to identify the One True God in the Holy Bible. Hence, we need to know:

Who is He?
Who is Jesus Christ?
Who is the Holy Spirit?
Who was the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and Moses? His name?
Who is the God of Peter and Paul? His name?
Who is this ONE TRUE GOD that the chosen (elect) would meet them, and to be with in eternity? His name?

See commet #21.

I personally stick with the KJV as my main reading-it has the notes and cross references in it as well. Then I have a parallel Bible with 4 different versions-the only one I really go to in it is the NASB (which several versions olde).

I was giving a NIV as a teen when I became a member of the Presbyterian church-after I got saved and did much research, I steer clear of the NIV nowadyas.

I also have a NKJV audio Bible set that I listen too on the road-I drive A LOT, so in the last year I think I have listened to the Bible all the way through at least 6 times and the NT at least double that.

I recall seeing a bumper sticker once that said: "What difference does it make what Bible version you aren't reading?"

Getting into the 'meat' of the Word will lead you to make wise decisions.....

My rule of thumb is if I find something in one version that disagrees greatly on an important issue with another, it is probably me as the reader that is interpreting something incorrectly rather than the person that created the version I'm reading. However, there are some very notable, but fortunately well known, exceptions to the rule that we must beware of.

I've been experimenting more with NASB. It seems to be less troublesome during those moments that I want to go back to the original language, but I also caution, closeness in wording to the original language does not automatically mean closer in meaning or intent. Language can be a tricky thing, very heavily tied to a culture. The reality is, there shouldn't be a need on a daily basis to go THAT deep into the text. IMO, just about any translation will get you 98% there. A REALLY good one, will get you to 99.9%. Deeper textual analysis along with cultural study and comparison fills that last 0.1% in, despite the perception that time is best spent there.

The NIV is somewhat paraphrastic in places. The ESV has a conservative reputation; basically the old RSV with some of the liberal bobos fixed.

Blessings.

I'm not very familiar with the ESV. Our church has the NIV and I preach from it. It is okay, though not one of my favorites. I was raised on the KJV and miss its majestic language. For me, I think the NASV is the most accurate English language version on the market today, but that's just my opinion.

I'm not very familiar with the ESV. Our church has the NIV and I preach from it. It is okay, though not one of my favorites. I was raised on the KJV and miss its majestic language. For me, I think the NASV is the most accurate English language version on the market today, but that's just my opinion.

Hi Sir, can't you go back to speaking from the KJV, if this is what you're more comfortable with? (I'm not KJV Only, but I do love the KJV).

Blessings.

I can't speak for Jack, but I know that I've used NIV during sermons because that is what they have in the pews at my church. I'd rather people follow along than stumble because we use different versions. I don't generally use the NIV for any other purpose though.

I can't speak for Jack, but I know that I've used NIV during sermons because that is what they have in the pews at my church. I'd rather people follow along than stumble because we use different versions. I don't generally use the NIV for any other purpose though.
Yes, that is what I have done also. In fact I have also endeavored to read and speak from the same pew Bibles so that I can say "....... you can follow me by turning to page 867 (eg) in your Pew Bibles...." Sometimes adding 'beginning with verse 15..it can befound about one third of the way down in the right hand column.

As it reads in the KJV, "Twinkleth twinkleth little stareth, How I wonder what you areth."
As it reads in the Amplied Bible, "Twinkle [alternately blind on and off] little [diminitive, small] star [ball of fire] how I wonder [contemplate, ponder] what you are [state of existence, being].
As it reads in the NWT, "Twinkle, twinkle little [a] star...
As it reads in the NASV, "Twinkle twinkle little star, how I wonder what you are."
As it read in the original Greek, "Bah, bah black sheep...."

As read by Doctor Who "Blinky, Blinky you amazing wobbly ball of explosive gases"

I prefer the NIV over the ESV. I also prefer to use the NASB, NRSV and HCSB over the ESV. Overall I prefer MOUNCE for NT over all of those.

Great thread! I've been a Christian my entire life but after over 30 years i've just begun reading my Bible every day, i've just begun my mission of being a real Christian. The Bible I have is the NIV. I see that some verses have been left out and just from viewing this post some of the translations (compared to KJV) have a decent difference. So what I want to know is.......What Bible do you guys feel is closest to God's word? What Bible can I go to a bookstore or even online and buy possibly has closest to the real manuscripts? Should I say what Bible in English. I've heard some say the Original Hebrew Bible. I hope I'm being clear, I want to read the Bible closest to what God wanted for us, not the Bible that's been translated several times, have things left out, etc....I understand it may be more difficult for me to read but I'd rather have the real thing. Feel free to tell me if i'm wrong, or it would be super hard to understand. God Bless, thank you!

I'm guessing the 'Ye must be born again' passage in John chapter 3 is quite similar in most English Bible versions...

Back