What Do I Do With My Tarot Cards?

The concern with tarot cards, Ouija boards, and spell books is that when used, they make one's self vulnerable to something that ought not be welcomed.

They are like sacramentals, but for the occult -- physical things used in communication with evil. If you were to speak with most wiccans, they would deny that it is Satanism and involvement with Satan. While it is not conscious Satanism the way members of Anton Lavey's church of Satan practice it, it is still nonetheless a welcoming gesture to Satan, even if it is indirect.

I love the movie The Usual Suspects. There's a line that Kevin Spacey's character says: "The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

Last edited:
Ouija boards are pieces of wood with letters and numbers painted on. Tarot cards are pieces of paper with pictures printed on.

They are inert and don't do anything. Their utility relies 100% on the gullibility of the person "using" them.

Ouija boards are pieces of wood with letters and numbers painted on. Tarot cards are pieces of paper with pictures printed on.

They are inert and don't do anything. Their utility relies 100% on the gullibility of the person "using" them.

Like I said, they're like sacramentals. A rosary is just a series of beads with a crucifix. As a mere physical item left alone, it's just a mere physical item. When used in practice, it's much more than that. Same with items used to promote the occult.

When I pointed out that Ouija boards and Tarot cards are just inert objects, you responded "When used in practice, it's much more than that".

When a Ouija board is sitting on a table, it's just a piece of wood with letters and numbers painted on, right? So what exactly changes "when it's used in practice"?

When I pointed out that Ouija boards and Tarot cards are just inert objects, you responded "When used in practice, it's much more than that".

When a Ouija board is sitting on a table, it's just a piece of wood with letters and numbers painted on, right? So what exactly changes "when it's used in practice"?

Good question. I used to analogy of the rosary because the idea is similar. There's really very little point of a rosary when it is not used. However, when I pick it up and use it in prayer, it becomes a great instrument to better see God, and more specifically, through the eyes of Mary.

When a Ouija board is sitting on a table, it's just a board. When it is used with the openness of hear what spirits may tell them, it allows for those participating to become more vulnerable to Satan which can put great distance between them and God.

My wife used to have a sort of involvement with the occult in her young teen years -- witchcraft has a history within Spanish culture in more modern years. She and her friend would go to each others' houses and practice spells from a book of witchcraft. I probably can't understand it the same way she does as it was more first-hand for her, but one thing's for sure, it's no play thing.

about 7 out of 10 cases of demonic possession start with a Ouija board or other scrying device

The board is just cardboard and plastic. The trouble starts when the user(s) entertain the intent to contact
spirits, they have just broken the "law of invitation". Which roughly stated, is that if you "ask for spirits you get them."
Demons are the only spirits that go for such requests as they are looking for any excuse to get into someones life.
Once they have you permission to get involved with you things tend to go downhill from there.

The "Exorcist" is fairly accurate on this point. The movie was based on the possession of a boy in the US during the 1930s.

When a Ouija board is sitting on a table, it's just a board. When it is used with the openness of hear what spirits may tell them, it allows for those participating to become more vulnerable to Satan which can put great distance between them and God.
But that has nothing to do with the board itself. It's still just a board with letters and numbers painted on. The problem you see isn't with the object, it's with the person. They could be sitting on the toilet and be "open to hear what spirits tell them", but that doesn't make toilets a conduit to the spirit world.

And I've always wondered....why can't God use such objects to sway people towards Him? Is He like, "Oh, that's a Ouija board. I can't use that!"

My wife used to have a sort of involvement with the occult in her young teen years -- witchcraft has a history within Spanish culture in more modern years. She and her friend would go to each others' houses and practice spells from a book of witchcraft. I probably can't understand it the same way she does as it was more first-hand for her, but one thing's for sure, it's no play thing.
You may believe that, but I don't. As I said, they're trivially easy to debunk and prove to be bogus. I've done so at a ton of slumber parties.

about 7 out of 10 cases of demonic possession start with a Ouija board or other scrying device
According to who?

The board is just cardboard and plastic. The trouble starts when the user(s) entertain the intent to contact
spirits, they have just broken the "law of invitation". Which roughly stated, is that if you "ask for spirits you get them."
Demons are the only spirits that go for such requests as they are looking for any excuse to get into someones life.
Once they have you permission to get involved with you things tend to go downhill from there.
Why can't God use them?

The Ouija board will always be more then mere cardboard and plastic though. It is made with the intention of being used to contact spirits. River is just riding us into in the new year.

And I've always wondered....why can't God use such objects to sway people towards Him? Is He like, "Oh, that's a Ouija board. I can't use that!"

River...God DOES use such objects and physical actions that allows people to be more open to Him...they are called....*drum roll* Sacramentals. Like the rosary analogy I used. Genuflecting. Scapulars. Holy Water. Crucifixes. These are items and actions many Christians use in worship and devotion. Sacramentals are a relationship between the physical and the spiritual...in a word, this is called 'sacramentalism.' Music and art is even a form of sacramentalism.

Sacramentalism isn't limited to a healthy growth in a relationship with God.

Lysander,

I'm asking, why doesn't God use Ouija boards and Tarot cards? When kids are at a slumber party and start using one, why doesn't God overstep whatever demon would use it and thereby lead the kids to salvation? In my experience, kids aren't using these things like "Let's see if we can contact a demon", it's more like "Let's see what happens". The best, most loving thing for God to do would seem to be to usurp whatever power these things have.

The far simpler explanation is that they have no power at all. That's also consistent with my multiple experiences debunking these things. I mean seriously...if they're so powerful, why are they so simple to debunk?

Lysander,

I'm asking, why doesn't God use Ouija boards and Tarot cards? When kids are at a slumber party and start using one, why doesn't God overstep whatever demon would use it and thereby lead the kids to salvation? In my experience, kids aren't using these things like "Let's see if we can contact a demon", it's more like "Let's see what happens". The best, most loving thing for God to do would seem to be to usurp whatever power these things have.

The far simpler explanation is that they have no power at all. That's also consistent with my multiple experiences debunking these things. I mean seriously...if they're so powerful, why are they so simple to debunk?

You're now asking why doesn't God step on individuals' free will if it harms their souls. Wouldn't that then negate the term "free will?" Granted, God might protect individuals from what comes out of the uses of these things, but they themselves aren't sacramentals used for God.

I agree with you -- these items have no power. However, the use of these items lend power to evil metaphysical beings. You're still stuck on the notion that these mere things have some sort of powers.

I recommend research further as to what a sacramental is, the different kinds there are, their purposes, and especially where they came from.

You're now asking why doesn't God step on individuals' free will if it harms their souls. Wouldn't that then negate the term "free will?" Granted, God might protect individuals from what comes out of the uses of these things, but they themselves aren't sacramentals used for God.
That doesn't make sense to me. God has to play by the rules, but demons don't? Given the stakes involved, that seems kinda silly.

I agree with you -- these items have no power. However, the use of these items lend power to evil metaphysical beings. You're still stuck on the notion that these mere things have some sort of powers.
Because that seems to be the theme in this thread. People are telling Polly to throw away her Tarot cards as if the cards themselves are the problem. Like I said before, you could argue that we shouldn't use toilets for the same reason (sitting there in a quiet room opens one up to dangerous thoughts or something).

Next time someone breaks out a Ouija board, do this....have them go ahead and use it the way they want a few times. Then, have them change positions and wear blindfolds, and have the person writing down the letters not say them out loud (just write them down quietly). By not seeing where the little glass thing goes and not hearing what's being transcribed, I promise you it'll produce nothing but gibberish. I've done this lots of times and it debunks them 100%.

I recommend research further as to what a sacramental is, the different kinds there are, their purposes, and especially where they came from.
Thanks.

That doesn't make sense to me. God has to play by the rules, but demons don't? Given the stakes involved, that seems kinda silly.

God doesn't have to do anything if He chooses. He's God. However, God has made promises to His people, and He hasn't broken one yet. Satan, however, is a being who thrives on his own lies.

Because that seems to be the theme in this thread. People are telling Polly to throw away her Tarot cards as if the cards themselves are the problem. Like I said before, you could argue that we shouldn't use toilets for the same reason (sitting there in a quiet room opens one up to dangerous thoughts or something).

People are giving advice to Polly regarding the Tarot cards. Some might be saying the cards themselves hold some sort of power. I can't speak for anyone here -- I can only speak on my own behalf. What I suggested was to get rid of them. There is no use in tempting one's self into something that can lead to harm to the soul.

Next time someone breaks out a Ouija board, do this....have them go ahead and use it the way they want a few times. Then, have them change positions and wear blindfolds, and have the person writing down the letters not say them out loud (just write them down quietly). By not seeing where the little glass thing goes and not hearing what's being transcribed, I promise you it'll produce nothing but gibberish. I've done this lots of times and it debunks them 100%.

That doesn't prove that a Ouija board does nothing. Going back to the rosary analogy, some people might pray the rosary but only in vain repetition. What use is vain, repetitive prayer? Just because someone isn't praying the rosary with sincerity doesn't mean it is now worthless item.

Granted, the Ouija board is one of the lighter, more ambiguous things that might open one up to evil, but that's also partly what makes it dangerous...it is seen as a harmless activity because of how ambiguous it is.

Even if most times nothing seems to happen, would it still be a good idea to tempt the activity of playing with a Ouija board? It's better to avoid it altogether.

As we see from the bible, there are evil forces at work in this world. I do not know much about the ouji board, I used to play it innocently in my youth but I understand there is a certain way to do things to get the "paranormal" results you intend. But to me it is a matter of the heart. Therefore, if you truly want to invite demon possession, you can have it with or with out a ouji board. The person in the video below has an interesting testimony concerning the occult.

God doesn't have to do anything if He chooses. He's God. However, God has made promises to His people, and He hasn't broken one yet. Satan, however, is a being who thrives on his own lies.
That doesn't really answer the problem.

What I suggested was to get rid of them. There is no use in tempting one's self into something that can lead to harm to the soul.
But as I said, that can apply to anything. You're using a computer and the internet, which definitely falls into the category of "things that can lead to temptation".

That doesn't prove that a Ouija board does nothing.
Yes it does. It proves that the board is useless and whatever "results" people get are of their own making. Once you remove the ability of the user to manipulate the outcome (even subconsciously), all you ever get is gibberish.

Going back to the rosary analogy, some people might pray the rosary but only in vain repetition. What use is vain, repetitive prayer? Just because someone isn't praying the rosary with sincerity doesn't mean it is now worthless item.
Exactly. The item itself has absolutely nothing to do with the outcome. It's the person using it.

Granted, the Ouija board is one of the lighter, more ambiguous things that might open one up to evil, but that's also partly what makes it dangerous...it is seen as a harmless activity because of how ambiguous it is.
It's no more dangerous than any other piece of wood.

Even if most times nothing seems to happen, would it still be a good idea to tempt the activity of playing with a Ouija board? It's better to avoid it altogether.
The only reason to have such a fear is if you believe it actually does have some sort of power. And by believing it has power, you've given it power that it doesn't otherwise have.

And let's be clear here. The debunking method doesn't work "most of the time". It works 100% of the time.

I tend to agree that things only have the power we allow them to have.

I know nothing about demons, would it not also be true that demons should only have the power we allow them to have, and subsequently a true believer in Jesus should have nothing to worry about?

I have no interest in using instruments of the occult, but in my reasoning, someone who is truly saved and of sound soul should technically be able to "play" with tarot cards or the ouiji board. I might do so without giving a second thought to demonic involvment. I mean, I see it as a game, like monopoly or whatever.

I'm not saying the devil doesn't exist, I'm saying the devil has no power over me. Isn't that kind of the point??

Back