What did Jesus look like?

Major would this not apply only to God? The disciples saw and recognized Jesus when resurrected.

Excellent question my friend. It would KingJ.

My understanding is that the appearances of God as the "angel of the Lord" in the Old Test. was the pre-incarnate Christ clothed in flesh and was not in a glorified body. IMO, when Isiah saw the Lord lifted up he saw the glory of God and not God Himself. The same would be applied to Elijah when he saw the turning wheel.

Moses and the burning bush is a perfect example. The Old Testament is the beginning of God’s revelation of Himself to man. The New Testament is the completion. Therefore, the flame was only a partial revelation of God, while the Son was the fulness. This is because God is much more than an impersonal phenomenon such as a flame; He is the Living God who desires a living relationship with living men. Therefore, we could say that the flame was a temporary, partial revelation of God, while in Jesus Christ dwells “all the fullness of the Godhead bodily...” (Colossians 2:9).

Now there are lots of people who say they have seen Jesus today. Movies have been made and people give testimonies but they all fly in the face of Scriptures.

The Scriptures say that no man have seen God and lived. That is without question. It is right there for all to read. Since Jesus is in heaven and is at the right hand of the Father, He is glorified and we can not approach Him as we are. We therefore must be glorified and that according to the Scriptures happens at the Rapture or death.

Jesus had not yet assended to heaven and been glorified at the time He was seen by the disciples.

Last edited:
We know that is Biblically true since the Scriptures tell us that no one has seen Jesus/God in His glory and lived.

No one has ever seen God revealed in all His glory. In our fallen human condition, if God were to fully reveal Himself to us, we would be consumed and destroyed. That is the reason I say that no could have gone to heaven and seen Jesus. It is just a Biblical impossibility. IMHO!

I agree brother, I also think it depends how you perceive the word "see God". Sure we cannot "see Gods Glory" but we are all witnesses to "seeing God" in His beautiful creation on this earth.

Sometimes seeing God in our children or grandchildren with the joy that He's given them, sometimes seeing God in the nature, valleys, ocean, mountains, trees, animals, skies etc.

Sometimes even "seeing God" in the trials that we must endure to see his Glory shine through in the most darkest times of our lives.

I think you know what I mean :)

But regarding the OP, I was more interested in the physical appearance of our Lord and Saviour - which, shouldn't matter anyway:)

Blessings.

Major would this not apply only to God? The disciples saw and recognized Jesus when resurrected.

But, didn't the disciples not recognize him at first? The walked all the way to Emmaeus and didn't recognize him and Thomas insisted on actually seeing his wounds before he would believe. So, apparently he looked a lot different in his resurrected form than in his original human form.

But, didn't the disciples not recognize him at first? The walked all the way to Emmaeus and didn't recognize him and Thomas insisted on actually seeing his wounds before he would believe. So, apparently he looked a lot different in his resurrected form than in his original human form.

Thomas does not make a good reference point here. He said this to the other Disciples who had already had a visit from Jesus.

John 20:25
The other disciples therefore said unto him, We have seen the Lord. But he said unto them, Except I shall see in his hands the print of the nails, and put my finger into the print of the nails, and thrust my hand into his side, I will not believe.
Blessings
FCJ

I do think that he doesn't look white and with a glow around him like in pictures. :) I think like some of the other commenters that it doesn't matter......but I imagine him looking Middle-Eastern.
I think God is Arab too..well looks Arab. But honestly his appearance doesn't matter..still just trying to make it into heaven. That's it that's all.

I agree. It is a wonderful picture for sure. But in my opinion, it is not the real Jesus Christ. It is what that young lady believes in her mind that He looks like exactly as it was for Leonardo Divinchi when He painted the likeness of Jesus at the Lord's supper. Divinchi never saw Jesus and this young lady did not go not heaven and see Jesus. It was her perception and was not based in fact.

We know that is Biblically true since the Scriptures tell us that no one has seen Jesus/God in His glory and lived. I realize this is off the subject, but the link to the web site is rooted in the movie of someone going to heaven, seeing God then coming back to make a movie and paint pictures. Anyone and every one is free to believe that but I for one will stick to the Scriptures on this event.

The Bible tells us that no one has ever seen God in John 1:18................
" No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."

Just to clear up any confusion on this, in Exodus 33:20, God declares..............
You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”

Yes, many have seen what they perceived to be Jesus. But that is based on their thinking and what they want Him to look like. Yes, Christ as the "angle of the Lord" was seen by Abraham, and David, and Gideon and many more. But that was when He was veiled, so, yes, God in Christ can be “seen” and many people have “seen” God in that way.

No one has ever seen God revealed in all His glory. In our fallen human condition, if God were to fully reveal Himself to us, we would be consumed and destroyed. That is the reason I say that no could have gone to heaven and seen Jesus. It is just a Biblical impossibility. IMHO!
People illustrate Jesus in their likeness I guess to be relatable to them. And that's fine..i dont think God cares...as long as you listen to him.

I agree brother, I also think it depends how you perceive the word "see God". Sure we cannot "see Gods Glory" but we are all witnesses to "seeing God" in His beautiful creation on this earth.

Sometimes seeing God in our children or grandchildren with the joy that He's given them, sometimes seeing God in the nature, valleys, ocean, mountains, trees, animals, skies etc.

Sometimes even "seeing God" in the trials that we must endure to see his Glory shine through in the most darkest times of our lives.

I think you know what I mean :)

But regarding the OP, I was more interested in the physical appearance of our Lord and Saviour - which, shouldn't matter anyway:)

Blessings.

Well said and Yes, I agree with you.

Ooh boy....
Mat 17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
Mat 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Mat 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
So, if that is not what the glorified Jesus looks like, who was it they saw?
Actually, the figure in the picture looks remarkably like the character who played Peter in King of Kings

Ooh boy....
Mat 17:1 And after six days Jesus taketh Peter, James, and John his brother, and bringeth them up into an high mountain apart,
Mat 17:2 And was transfigured before them: and his face did shine as the sun, and his raiment was white as the light.
Mat 17:3 And, behold, there appeared unto them Moses and Elias talking with him.
So, if that is not what the glorified Jesus looks like, who was it they saw?
Actually, the figure in the picture looks remarkably like the character who played Peter in King of Kings

Read the Revelation of Jesus and you will see what He looks like in His Glory.

As far as walking as a man as He did, well he would have fit right in. Now that's not saying that you would not be drawn unto Him when around Him.

What did Jesus look like at His first advent?
We will never know, but if the following portrays his appearance then I'd say He was just an ordinary guy that would not stand out from the crown...until He began His ministry.
Isa 53:2 . For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
Isa 53:3. He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief: and we hid as it were our faces from him; he was despised, and we esteemed him not.

I've always wondered what He looked like when He walked the earth thousands of years ago.
Isaiah 53:2
(KJV) For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; [magnificence]
and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
(GW) He grew up in his presence like a young tree, like a root out of dry ground. He had no form or majesty that would make us look at him.
He had nothing in his appearance that would make us desire him.

For the face of Jesus see the Shroud of Turin, his burial cloth.

shroud-of-turin.jpg

Isaiah 53:2
(KJV) For he shall grow up before him as a tender plant, and as a root out of a dry ground: he hath no form nor comeliness; [magnificence]
and when we shall see him, there is no beauty that we should desire him.
(GW) He grew up in his presence like a young tree, like a root out of dry ground. He had no form or majesty that would make us look at him.
He had nothing in his appearance that would make us desire him.

For the face of Jesus see the Shroud of Turin, his burial cloth.

View attachment 2380
Very interesting!
Thanks for sharing this
Blessings

Back