What did Jesus look like?

I've always wondered what He looked like when He walked the earth thousands of years ago.

Sure there are depictions of what our Savior may have looked like (also the debate of whether He was fair/dark skinned) but does anyone truly know?

I know it shouldn't really matter, but I do wonder whether He had the genes from His Mother Mary or His own unique set of genes.

Any knowledge or links would be appreciated:)

Blessings.

Last edited:
If a topic requires lot of speculation, then I think it is not worth discussion :) LOL!! I guess He would have looked like any other Jew who lived in that town in that time frame. We don't see anything recorded in Bible where people are surprised by His appearance. They just looked at Him like just any other person.

If a topic requires lot of speculation, then I think it is not worth discussion :) LOL!! I guess He would have looked like any other Jew who lived in that town in that time frame. We don't see anything recorded in Bible where people are surprised by His appearance. They just looked at Him like just any other person.

Absolutely agreed!

I've always wondered what He looked like when He walked the earth thousands of years ago.

Sure there are depictions of what our Savior may have looked like (also the debate of whether He was fair/dark skinned) but does anyone truly know?

I know it shouldn't really matter, but I do wonder whether He had the genes from His Mother Mary or His own unique set of genes.

Blessings.
As my brother Ravindran correctly stated, Jesus would have had the appearance and characteristics of all the other Jewish people living in Israel.

One thing Is for sure. He did not look like any of the paintings we see today. All of those are what men "want" Him to look like.
Jesus was not the effeminate looking man that most images reveal Him as. He was a carpenter and carpenters in those days not only worked with wood, they worked with stones. There is also no reason to believe that he had long flowing hair as seen in paintings of Him.
Jews of the day never wore their hair long. In fact Paul knew that it was customarily a shame for a man to have long hair (1 Cor 11:14) and knowing that Jesus was a carpenter, having long hair would have gotten in the way of His work.

http://www.bibleinfo.com/en/questions/what-did-jesus-look-like

Jews of the day never wore their hair long. In fact Paul knew that it was customarily a shame for a man to have long hair (1 Cor 11:14) and knowing that Jesus was a carpenter, having long hair would have gotten in the way of His work.

The old debate, do I cut my hair or not? Rotfl.
Thoughts to ponder
Long hair on a woman at the time went well down below her waist. It was a covering.
This was not proper for a man.
So short hair indeed could be viewed as long hair today.
Blessings

Blessings.
No idea... but this little girl painted Him...

http://www.gospelherald.com/article...y-god-taught-young-girl-akiane.htm#closepopup

Blessings.

Blessings.

I believe Jesus looks a lot like the pictures and images we have of Him.

I arrive at this view from painful common sense. God planned Jesus from before the foundations of the earth. He wants us to have an accurate picture of Him in our minds. Just as He ensured His word remained unscathed throughout the generations. Likewise He would inspire and ensure His image be in some way 'sanctified / true'.

We are in a love relationship with God. God is an open book. He is honest. He is trustworthy. He would not let us look at an incorrect picture of Him our whole lives. The nail in this coffin for me is 1 Cor 12:3 and Matt 16:16-17. God reveals Jesus to every Christian. When Jesus appeared to me....now I am not kidding....He appeared in the clouds with a face exactly like the one you will see at any Catholic church. Of course He was not literally in the clouds but a crystal clear / stand out vision in my mind. It was, as it is for all of us quite an unreal experience.

Anyone who has ever been in a long distance relationship knows to ensure their loved one has a clear up to date picture of them.

Other issues to consider. The disciples and Paul saw Jesus. They can write down every single word He told them in absolute detail and not once......get someone to draw His face for records? Nobody asked them to describe His features? Nobody passed this down? Jesus only happened to be... God of the universe. There is a higher chance of us having an accurate picture of Jesus then there is of any prior to camera's.

I saw and read docos on this.

Do you believe?
It really doesn't matter to me. I believe people have seen Jesus. It's not an issue to me. But let's say for a moment it is honestly the face of Jesus. I feel that people would start to worship the painting instead of the real Jesus, hence the prohibition on graven images.

Awesome picture.

I agree. It is a wonderful picture for sure. But in my opinion, it is not the real Jesus Christ. It is what that young lady believes in her mind that He looks like exactly as it was for Leonardo Divinchi when He painted the likeness of Jesus at the Lord's supper. Divinchi never saw Jesus and this young lady did not go not heaven and see Jesus. It was her perception and was not based in fact.

We know that is Biblically true since the Scriptures tell us that no one has seen Jesus/God in His glory and lived. I realize this is off the subject, but the link to the web site is rooted in the movie of someone going to heaven, seeing God then coming back to make a movie and paint pictures. Anyone and every one is free to believe that but I for one will stick to the Scriptures on this event.

The Bible tells us that no one has ever seen God in John 1:18................
" No man hath seen God at any time, the only begotten Son, which is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him."

Just to clear up any confusion on this, in Exodus 33:20, God declares..............
You cannot see my face, for no one may see me and live.”

Yes, many have seen what they perceived to be Jesus. But that is based on their thinking and what they want Him to look like. Yes, Christ as the "angle of the Lord" was seen by Abraham, and David, and Gideon and many more. But that was when He was veiled, so, yes, God in Christ can be “seen” and many people have “seen” God in that way.

No one has ever seen God revealed in all His glory. In our fallen human condition, if God were to fully reveal Himself to us, we would be consumed and destroyed. That is the reason I say that no could have gone to heaven and seen Jesus. It is just a Biblical impossibility. IMHO!

Back