1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Were there any good books that helped to develop your marriage?

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Angelic Rose, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Besides reading the Bible together, of course! :)

My FH and I will be married in July and we've started prepping for the marriage more formally. The Catholic Church requires that we meet with our priest a few times and take some marriage-prep classes, but some Catholic friends said that it would be important for us to do some discussing of topics on our own as well.

I'm wondering if there's any books that you read that really helped you to better understand how to be a good spouse and deal with issues.

Thank you for sharing!
  2. Things that have helped me:

Love and Respect
    The Marriage Builder by Larry Crabb (out of print, but you can get it used)
    The Five Love Language

Weekend to Remember conference

Developing a close relationship w/ God. Honestly, we have read books for years and we have been in a marriage home group for 10 years, but the thing that has helped me the most is seeking God's will for who I am to be. Read the Bible, study the Bible (S.O.A.P. has been an invaluable way to read the Bible for me--you can google it--not that it's the only way, but just reading it was not enough to get it INTO me and my life.), pray, put the scriptures into practice in your life, realize that marriage is not about you being happy, find out what marriage really is according to the Bible--it's supposed to be a picture of Jesus and the church. Keep following Jesus as the focus of your life and you will be a wondeful wife because improving ourselves (becoming more like Him and being who He intended us to be) through Him leads to us being able to follow the path that He has for us.
  3. I really enjoyed "the Five Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. I also read his devotional called Living Love on a daily basis
  4. Thanks for the input! I read The Five Love Languages years ago--- actually while I was going through a semi-abusive relationship and I bought the book thinking ** I ** had to do something to change. My fiance did not know about the Love Languages so I was able to show him the book and we both took one of those quizzes at the Love Language site and figured out what our love languages are. We're both different--- I forget which is which now but I really do think there's some great wisdom behind those love languages.

Because of that book, I picked up Chapman's new book "Things I wish I'd known before we got married"--- I read through that and some of the "lessons" I already knew and some of them were "oh right!". Now I'm reading through his other book "The Marriage You've Always Wanted"-- I have the book and the study group book. I'm hoping once my fiance and I have some more focus, we'll actually do the study group book activities since they have such great potential.

Besides reading Gary Chapman, I've turned to Stormie Omartian--- I love her "The Power of Prayer" books. I started with two of her books "The Power of Prayer to Change your Marriage" and "The Power of a Praying Wife" which I got 2 years ago when I saw that my current relationship was heading towards marriage. :) I didn't see warning signs per say, I just wanted to be prepared with resources if I ever needed them. My fiance is currently reading through "The Power of a Prayer Husband" and its been a wonderful blessing to me to have him pray over me. What an amazing feeling to have your future husband pray for you :)
  5. Hi there,and wish a happy marriage to you ok...
    Well i read you help about some ebook
    I can offer you something like that of course there is a lot of helpfull informations before and after text,videos about saveing your marriage inagine you can know all that things before they hapend i mean save the marriage before it happend :)
    So don`t get me wrong you know what i mean :) here is the link so you can see it:
    Here you can find everything about it if you like it please tell me subscribe here so other can hear well nice to write you and again nice and happy days.
  6. Also I know the book is suppose to be for married couples but "The Love Dare" from the movie Fireproof.... is a really good one.
  7. Good luck in your marriage Angelic Rose. Never lose sight of the fact that marriage has to be a two way street. If both of you guys are not on the same page on things like religion, finances, roles and responsibilities, relationships both with each other and friends, irritating family members and so on, it can be a very rough road.

When my wife and I were just about to get married my grandmother gave my wife the best bit of advice I ever heard. Let me pass it on to you.
    "Always tell each other bad news after dinner. Somehow things never seem so bad on a full stomach".
    Billy Summers likes this.
  8. great advice, Seeking.

9. Why thank you. Sometimes, not often, I actually sound smart! :p
  10. I am a big fan of the Eric and Leslie Ludy books, and the Joshua Harris Books. They are really aimed at courting and abandoning the dating type relationship, but they focus so much on building godly relationships, finding our roles in the relationship, and placing God at the center of the entire relationship that I just can't recommend them enough. I can truly say that some of their books have changed my life in great ways. My favorites are "When God Write's Your Love Story" and "I Kissed Dating Goodbye" and "Passion and Purity".
  11. hey
    My husband and I went to a dinner at the church I go to and the pastor showd the "imarriage" videos here's a link to part of it on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZ9BLRygWuU
    I really recomend these videos and every-so-often I would recommend re-watching them cuz we're only human and we forget things down the road.
    Hope ya like it, we did. :)