1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

We use more than 10%

Discussion in 'Sports, Games and Health' started by violet, Dec 21, 2007.

1. We use more than 10%

Myth:
    We use only 10 percent of our brains.

Fact: Physicians and comedians alike, including Jerry Seinfeld, love to cite this one.

It's sometimes erroneously credited to Albert Einstein.

But MRI scans, PET scans and other imaging studies show no dormant areas of the brain, and even viewing individual neurons or cells reveals no inactive areas, the new paper points out. Metabolic studies of how brain cells process chemicals show no nonfunctioning areas.

The myth probably originated with self-improvement hucksters in the early 1900s who wanted to convince people that they had yet not reached their full potential, Carroll figures.

It also doesn't jibe with the fact that our other organs run at full tilt.

2. It's more of a case of we can't figure out what the parts of a brain are doing. In many ways it is still a mystery.

3. The brain is absolutely amazing, really~

4. I saw these on another forum,

* Drink at least eight glasses of water a day
    * We use only 10% of our brains
    * Hair and fingernails continue to grow after death
    * Reading in dim light ruins your eyesight
    * Shaving causes hair to grow back faster or coarser
    * Mobile phones are dangerous in hospitals
    * Eating turkey makes people especially drowsy

All Medical myths that are untrue.

5. I have to disagree on one .... Having worked in a hospital, the cell phone has been proven to disrupt the equipment in the ICU department and the CCU with heart monitors.

6. Yeah.. must be why it says they are dangerous in hospitols.

I find it hard to believe the brain thing. If it isn't proven, it probably isn't true. If my brain has so much open space then why doesn't it ace every test and remember EVERYTHING the professor told me. Why do I ever forget ANYTHING if I have all this free space in my head? Sorry, non believer on that one.

7. IT'S ONLY A MYTH??!!:eek: :crying_anim:
    NOW, I'M REALLY STRESSED OUT!:p:D

8. B2LY, shaving does do that to hair believe me.

9. We use more than 10% -HHMMM, there surely must be exceptions to that rule!:eek::p:)

10. Anybody else see that episode on House when they took a brain scan and found out that some areas were overactive - resembling incredible pleasure?

Turned out that the lady in the machine was praying to be healed. It was really a nice TV moment.:)

11. Darn! Missed that one...

12. More than 10% huh- no wonder my boss always told us to use our heads for something other than a hat rack.:p