1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

We Have A New Member Who Might Have Fun With This!

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by TezriLi, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Good night, it's happened!
    Here we are with someone who shall remain nameless -- sort of!
    I've often wanted to have a thread where people can get English language/writing help.
    Delighted to say we have a young person here who may enjoy this!

Got to admit: she may not take on this challenge.
    Have to also admit that what I am suggesting may be a bit intimidating.
    I guess we'll just have to watch and see if she comes here and starts.
    Dear ones, if you want to start this in the meantime, please do!
  2. I'll start. There's no such English word as alot. There's a lot and there's allot, but not alot. But I rarely see alot here! Good for US!!!!
    Ghid likes this.
  3. It gets on my nerves when people say "I could care less" when they mean to say "I couldn't care less." Because they're saying the exact opposite of what they are intending to say.
    DavidG, Huntingteckel and TezriLi says Amen and like this.
  4. Pet peeve is the have your cake and eat it too.

It is EAT your cake and have it to.
    TezriLi likes this.
  5. ....don't forget irregardless.
  6. Methinks someone just stumbled across the new Weird Al hit.

"I could of used proper wording." "I could have used proper wording, so I did."

Every time -- two separate words. I know, I'm guilty of pushing them together quite often. I need to break that habit.

PS, I support the oxford comma.

PeaceLikeaRiver, TezriLi and Tropicalbound says Amen and like this.
  7. The data ARE

AN historic
    Ghid and TezriLi say Amen and like this.
  8. Definitely beautiful.
    TezriLi likes this.
  9. This is a good idea.
    TezriLi likes this.
  10. Well, I confess to being the muse of this thread. I was not ignoring it. I just had not found it.

I like to separate introductory adverbial clauses with a comma. I decided that the separating comma is a good idea because I had a teacher who had a stack of old, moldy Atlantic Magazines. I read some of the articles. One was about how crime in Memphis, Tennessee correlated with section eight housing.

The editors of Atlantic didn’t use commas to separate introductory adverbial clauses.

I remember having trouble understanding if the last word in the adverbial clause belonged with the subordinate clause or with the independent clause. So I decided that I would always separate introductory adverbial clauses.

Normally, I am not so nerdy, but it gets worse.

A girlfriend in my study group was trying to read a book by James Joyce. I'm not sure which one. Joyce must have opposed separation of adverbial clauses. He had a fight with his editor about whether to use the comma or not.

I don’t know anything about Joyce except that I read in my friend copy of Joyce's book that he had an odd view of comma.
  11. An historic? Wow, I need to brush up on my grammar. I think people forget that data is plural.
  12. Thank you, everyone, for joining here -- especially to Ghid, who seems to have a talent for this stuff. I have wanted to start this for a long while, but I am not educated enough. You can see she is, and I'll bet others of you are, too. Let's have fun with it! And if something is hard to understand, let's take this opportunity to ask questions. We are among friends, and no one needs to be ashamed.

To be blunt, of all the forums I have been on, this one has the least English errors, in my opinion. We are already pretty good -- we can only get better!
    Heart_for_Christ likes this.
  13. Have you ever seen the grocery store's sign saying something like, "15 or less items"? The sign should be "15 or fewer items."

Use fewer if you’re referring to people or things in the plural -- solid, usually undividable items (e.g. houses, newspapers, dogs, students, children).
    Use less when you’re referring to something that can’t be counted or doesn’t have a plural (e.g. money, air, time, music, rain) or when numbers are on their own and with expressions of measurement or time.

I struggle with where to place my periods, question marks, and exclamation marks. Is my first line correct in your opinion?
    Ghid and HisManySongs say Amen and like this.
  14. Maybe this requires its own thread but I can't stand people who put quotation marks around things to give them emphasis. It doesn't work. It just makes them look ironic.

For example, "NO" SMOKING! - it looks like they DO allow it.
    Ghid and TezriLi say Amen and like this.
  15. Some stores have sherbet; other stores have sherbert. :D
    Ghid likes this.
  16. [​IMG]
    FaithfulMom, DavidG and TezriLi says Amen and like this.
  17. I can't stand question marks at the end of sentences that don't ask a question? I've had to bite my tongue several times reading posts from this offender? It drives me crazy!?
    DavidG likes this.
  18. Just say the sentence as if it were a question. It could drive you something else.
    Where is the Messiah and TezriLi say Amen and like this.
  19. I have to admit I've been a member of many a Christian forum. I've even been a lurker at forums wherein I observed the goings on before deciding to join.
    In all my years, I've not found a forum wherein a member, and collaborators, elect to post a thread in the hopes of publicly humiliating one or many of their own. And all in the name of grammar!

Have you looked at yourselves? :unsure: Would you say these things, with the member you're targeting, in person and before Christ?

Search Results for Query: alot

Matthew 22:39
    And a second is like it: You shall love your neighbor as yourself.
    Proverbs 15:1
    A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger.