Was Jesus God?

Status
Not open for further replies.
To add my voice:

Read the 1st chapter of the Gospel of John.

This is the reference to the 'earliest' point, the first beginning. John 1:1 refers to what already existed when time (a created thing) began in Genesis 1:1.

John 1 refers to The Word, who was both with God and was God..

What is the significance of the Word? Creation was accomplished through him. He is the source of light and life (sounds like God to me).

What happened to this Word? Look down at verse 14. The Word was made flesh and lived among us (sounds like Jesus to me).

John the Baptist (and the Holy Spirit) bore witness the Jesus was the Word and the begotten son of The Father.

There is God the Father.

There is God the Son.

There is God the Holy Spirit.

They are each unique.

The Father is not the Son, nor the Holy Spirit.

The Holy Spirit is not the Father nor the Son.

The Son is not the Father nor the Holy Spirit.

Although the Son voluntarily and temporarily made himself lower than the angels, they are all co-equal (while remaining distinct).

There is only one God consisting of God the Father, God the Son and God the Holy Spirit.

You may accept this truth, but it cannot be truly understood.

This is THE GREAT PARADOX, something seemingly impossible and self contradictory, but none the less true.

Bye the way, a lot can be learned by studying the attributes of each person of God and note where they are the same and where they are different.

Klang,
please consider the following passages;
Heb 10:4. For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
Isaiah ch1 is worth reading as well.

But to try to stay focussed, the thing is that there is a bone of contention between the Lord God and mankind, else why :::
Isa 1:18 "Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.
What is to reason if there is no conflict. So in this conflict, who is able to represent the Lord God? Obviously the only one who can represent the Lord God is the Lord God....yes?

So who can represent mankind you?...me? not likely.
In Jesus, we have a uniqueness that is absolute. As the Son of God, He is fully God, yet at the same time as Mary's son he is fully human.
Here is onde of many interesting passages:::
Mark 14:21 For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born."
Here Jesus is not referring to Himself as the Son of God, but of man.
There is a fluid interchangeability between the two roles.

He alone can represent both God and mankind, reconciling both parties...there is no other way.
Now if God had come amongst us as the Father, He would not have been human as well as divine, so we would still be needing the perfect advocate to represent us, but Jesus and Jesus alone has met the criteria for perfect advocacy.
Hope this makes sense.

John 14:9 Jesus said to him, Have I been with you so long and yet you have not known me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say" show us the father"

Jesus and the Father God are 1 in the same. This will also include the Holy Spirit

I've always thought Jesus was the Son of God (and still do), and I always thought the vast majority of Christians believed so too, but a few years ago I was chatting to a baptist minister and to my surprise he was adamant that Jesus was God!
I researched the matter on the internet and I was surprised again to find more Christians than I realised also believe he was God. What do CF members think?
For the record this verse is the one that seems to fuel the "Jesus was God" school of thought-
Jesus said to him, “Have I been with you so long, and yet you have not known Me, Philip? He who has seen Me has seen the Father; so how can you say, ‘Show us the Father’? (John 14:9)

But there are lots more verses that indicate he wasn't God-
Jesus said - "I am going to the Father,' for My Father is greater than I" (John 14:28 )
Jesus said:-"Why do you call me good? Only God is good" (Luke 18:19)
Jesus said "Only God knows when Judgement Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
High Priest asked-"Are you the Son of God?", Jesus replied - "I am" (Mark 14:61)
Jesus said - "I only say what my Father tells me to say" (John 12:49)
Jesus said to Peter:-"My Father has revealed to you that I am the Son of God" (Matt 16:15)
Demon said- "Jesus Son of God don't torment me" (Mark 5:7-9)
And of course God himself said "This is my beloved son in whom I am well pleased, listen to him" (Matt 17:5)
I'm surprised that as a Christian you had not heard nor ever believed that Jesus was God in the first place. One Scripture covers it all. John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Call me a wimp, but I don't think I dare argue with God..;)-
“This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased” (Matt 3:17).
In Gethsemane Jesus showed his human-ness when he said-
“My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done" (Matt 26:42), so I don't think he was talking to himself..

rel-jesus-gethsemaneB_zps6ldv1g32.jpg~original

It appears to me that you are in fact arguing with God.

Matthew 3:17 is the actual proof of the Trinity. There can be no doubt that all three persons of the Trinity are actively involved as three distinct perrsons of the Godhead.

By your comment here I am assuming that you have rejected the words given earlier to you of..........
" Basic, fundament Christian understanding is that Jesus prayed to the Father because His position was different from that of God the Father--not His nature. Heb. 2:9 says that Jesus was made for a little while lower than the angels and Gal. 4:4 says, He was under the Law. Therefore, as a man he was in a lesser position than the Father but not different in nature. This would also explain why he grew in wisdom and stature according to Luke 2:52.

Have you rejected that teaching or you just do not understand it?????

I'm surprised that as a Christian you had not heard nor ever believed that Jesus was God in the first place. One Scripture covers it all. John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.

Exactly!

That is Christianity 101 where I come from.

Blessings Everyone,
As this thread is winding closer to the place that all has been said that needs to be said and nothing more will help.

I want to ask everyone of you this question.
Who is Jesus to you this very hour?
1. Do you truly understand all He is?
A. High Priest......how submitted are you to Jesus the High Priest in your life?
B. Lord... Are you truly submitted under His Lordship in your life?

Seems to me that in this hour we would do well to discuss and learn who He truly is to us and what that means biblically to us.

Thank You and have a very blessed walk in Christ.
FCJ

Klang,
please consider the following passages;
Heb 10:4. For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.
Isaiah ch1 is worth reading as well.

But to try to stay focussed, the thing is that there is a bone of contention between the Lord God and mankind, else why :::
Isa 1:18 "Come now, let us reason together, says the LORD: though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall become like wool.
What is to reason if there is no conflict. So in this conflict, who is able to represent the Lord God? Obviously the only one who can represent the Lord God is the Lord God....yes?

So who can represent mankind you?...me? not likely.
In Jesus, we have a uniqueness that is absolute. As the Son of God, He is fully God, yet at the same time as Mary's son he is fully human.
Here is onde of many interesting passages:::
Mark 14:21 For the Son of Man goes as it is written of him, but woe to that man by whom the Son of Man is betrayed! It would have been better for that man if he had not been born."
Here Jesus is not referring to Himself as the Son of God, but of man.
There is a fluid interchangeability between the two roles.

He alone can represent both God and mankind, reconciling both parties...there is no other way.
Now if God had come amongst us as the Father, He would not have been human as well as divine, so we would still be needing the perfect advocate to represent us, but Jesus and Jesus alone has met the criteria for perfect advocacy.
Hope this makes sense.

Amen!.....He is the God-Man!

Blessings Everyone,
As this thread is winding closer to the place that all has been said that needs to be said and nothing more will help.

I want to ask everyone of you this question.
Who is Jesus to you this very hour?
1. Do you truly understand all He is?
A. High Priest......how submitted are you to Jesus the High Priest in your life?
B. Lord... Are you truly submitted under His Lordship in your life?

Seems to me that in this hour we would do well to discuss and learn who He truly is to us and what that means biblically to us.

Thank You and have a very blessed walk in Christ.
FCJ

Agreed Jim.

To some believers Jesus is a great moral Teacher.
To others He is a great miracle worker.
To others He is the bringer of the soon-coming rest of God at His 2nd Coming.
To others He is the child born to the Virgin Mary and He needs to be in agreement with her.
Others highlight Jesus' many commands for the individual to be actively involved in his own salvation and Christian growth.
Others see Jesus see Jesus as a gracious Redeemer.

As for me Jim, Jesus is the blazing center of reality.

Matt. 16:17-17.......provides us with the best starting point, confirmed by Christ Himself, in answering the question, "Who is Jesus?"

He said to [His disciples], "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven."

The God-revealed answer is that Jesus is the promised Messiah, the literal Son of the Supreme Being of all the universe and as such is co-equal and co-eternal with God because He is God. Of course, He is a great deal more than this, but these three Bible facts are the most foundational to our spiritual understanding of this wonderful Being. They give us the basis of His relationship to us and our future, as well as His relationship to Deity, fixing Him as the
only bridge between man and God. It is only from this foundation, we can begin a deeper consideration of the biblical Jesus.

Agreed Jim.

To some believers Jesus is a great moral Teacher.
To others He is a great miracle worker.
To others He is the bringer of the soon-coming rest of God at His 2nd Coming.
To others He is the child born to the Virgin Mary and He needs to be in agreement with her.
Others highlight Jesus' many commands for the individual to be actively involved in his own salvation and Christian growth.
Others see Jesus see Jesus as a gracious Redeemer.

As for me Jim, Jesus is the blazing center of reality.

Matt. 16:17-17.......provides us with the best starting point, confirmed by Christ Himself, in answering the question, "Who is Jesus?"

He said to [His disciples], "But who do you say that I am?" Simon Peter answered and said, "You are the Christ, the Son of the living God." Jesus answered and said to him, "Blessed are you, Simon Bar-Jonah, for flesh and blood has not revealed this to you, but My Father who is in heaven."

The God-revealed answer is that Jesus is the promised Messiah, the literal Son of the Supreme Being of all the universe and as such is co-equal and co-eternal with God because He is God. Of course, He is a great deal more than this, but these three Bible facts are the most foundational to our spiritual understanding of this wonderful Being. They give us the basis of His relationship to us and our future, as well as His relationship to Deity, fixing Him as the
only bridge between man and God. It is only from this foundation, we can begin a deeper consideration of the biblical Jesus.
Yes Sir Major, I do so agree !!
For awhile now in my own walk, I have been being taught the different facets of Jesus ministries. Most believers either don't understand this area or perhaps simply refuse to grow in this area.

Once I began to see what our Lord was showing me or wanting me to deepen my understanding of, well He got my attention. So much to learn if we are willing and it is within these things that simply raise us up a little higher and life begins to change.

Now don't get me wrong here Major,
For I shall plea Philippians 3:12
I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.

Blessings my Brother and Friend
FCJ

My opinion,
Jesus is God but not THE God as in the Father. He is a distinct individual.
Jesus is equal to but submissive to God the Father so it is impossible for Him to be Him.
He didn't talk to himself on the mountain: this is my beloved me.
And when Jesus was empowered by the Holy Spirit it was not him giving power to himself.
I think what happened at the dawn of time,
which is like a long time before Angels were created,
when God came to exist,
is that God was alone by Himself as a single entity,
then He divided Himself into three parts, the latter two being the Son and Holy Spirit.
So He was now three, but He, the Father, was the first and original, even though now He was three.
Jesus Himself says he doesn't know the day nor hour of his return, only the Father knows,
so clearly He is not God the Father, He is God the Son.
While the word 'clone' could be used it would not be correct cause a clone is a created duplicate,
whereas Jesus is a division of the original and not a created copy.
In the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God.
To understand the origin of everything I think you need to think in terms of chaos and order.
Fundamentally the universe beyond the created galaxies is a black mess of moving chaos particles.
Creation gives order. Laws give order. Love gives order.
This would mean that God himself is consisting of Chaos particles and able to manipulate chaos into order,
He can never break down or dissolve into Chaos because that is who he is at the primary level.
remember my opinion only.

Jesus is God, before, during and after His time in the flesh. Yet, one thing I see that the devil pushes, and far too many eagerly equally confess, is that "Jesus lived on earth as God", when in fact, He lived solely as Man. I keep pointing this out because we are to walk like Christ. But if we instead believe more that He lived in the flesh as God, then we can excuse our actions as those of a sinner instead of one who can overcome sin through Jesus and live as He did. We lose our excuse for sin! Jesus said we would do more than He did, John 14:12. Furthermore, it won't be by our power just like the things He did were NOT by HIS power, but by the obedience to the Holy Spirit, by Whom He executed the will of the Father. To quickly point out that Jesus was God allows far too many to dismiss His instructions, and those of Paul's, on how we are to conduct ourselves. What Jesus did in the flesh, we, through His paved path, can do the same. To deny this is to deny the word of God. To deny this is to preach another gospel. To deny this is to send countless people to hell. To deny this is to be a Pharisee. To deny this is to make a theology that suppresses the prompting conscience and power of God, thus one can claim they're "just a simple sinner, saved by grace" and ignore the power, 1 Corinthians 4:20, well that is, if you believe the word of God.

Finally, if Jesus lived as God on earth and not as Man of flesh and blood, then the devil would NOT have lost. See, the only legal way for God to get back what He gave to Adam was for God to fulfill what Adam could not. By doing so Jesus lived 100% in the flesh (without sin) and sinned not. Therefore, when the devil set it up so that man would kill Jesus, even though Jesus laid down His life for us and was NOT murdered, the devil broke the law. He killed an innocent man! Thereby he forfeited his claim to what he got from Adam's forfeit. Don't you see, if Jesus lived as God He could not have fulfilled the law. Can God be tempted!? No, so Jesus had to come solely as a man so He could be tempted! As God, He could not sin. As man, He could have sinned, but chose not to. Jesus had to die as a man, free of sin, so that in the flesh, He conquered life and death.

Therefore, we must walk as Jesus did while He was in the flesh, by obeying the Holy Spirit our Comforter and Teacher. It's much easier to remain a babe. After all, what responsibility does a baby have in their diaper?

Jesus is God, before, during and after His time in the flesh. Yet, one thing I see that the devil pushes, and far too many eagerly equally confess, is that "Jesus lived on earth as God", when in fact, He lived solely as Man. I keep pointing this out because we are to walk like Christ. But if we instead believe more that He lived in the flesh as God, then we can excuse our actions as those of a sinner instead of one who can overcome sin through Jesus and live as He did. We lose our excuse for sin! Jesus said we would do more than He did, John 14:12. Furthermore, it won't be by our power just like the things He did were NOT by HIS power, but by the obedience to the Holy Spirit, by Whom He executed the will of the Father. To quickly point out that Jesus was God allows far too many to dismiss His instructions, and those of Paul's, on how we are to conduct ourselves. What Jesus did in the flesh, we, through His paved path, can do the same. To deny this is to deny the word of God. To deny this is to preach another gospel. To deny this is to send countless people to hell. To deny this is to be a Pharisee. To deny this is to make a theology that suppresses the prompting conscience and power of God, thus one can claim they're "just a simple sinner, saved by grace" and ignore the power, 1 Corinthians 4:20, well that is, if you believe the word of God.

Finally, if Jesus lived as God on earth and not as Man of flesh and blood, then the devil would NOT have lost. See, the only legal way for God to get back what He gave to Adam was for God to fulfill what Adam could not. By doing so Jesus lived 100% in the flesh (without sin) and sinned not. Therefore, when the devil set it up so that man would kill Jesus, even though Jesus laid down His life for us and was NOT murdered, the devil broke the law. He killed an innocent man! Thereby he forfeited his claim to what he got from Adam's forfeit. Don't you see, if Jesus lived as God He could not have fulfilled the law. Can God be tempted!? No, so Jesus had to come solely as a man so He could be tempted! As God, He could not sin. As man, He could have sinned, but chose not to. Jesus had to die as a man, free of sin, so that in the flesh, He conquered life and death.

Therefore, we must walk as Jesus did while He was in the flesh, by obeying the Holy Spirit our Comforter and Teacher. It's much easier to remain a babe. After all, what responsibility does a baby have in their diaper?
Amen Brother amen.
Now what do you think would happen within the body of Christ if they would just get a revelation that Jesus operated on this earth as a man with the Holy Spirit in Him and Here it is....
He was teaching us, showing us By Example how we as a born again believer are created to live?

Typical Excuses
Well He was Jesus.....yes we know that. Lol

He was the son of God....lol what are we ? LOL sons as well

Well He had the Holy Spirit in Him.
Again .....don't we. Lol

Blessings
FCJ

Yes Sir Major, I do so agree !!
For awhile now in my own walk, I have been being taught the different facets of Jesus ministries. Most believers either don't understand this area or perhaps simply refuse to grow in this area.

Once I began to see what our Lord was showing me or wanting me to deepen my understanding of, well He got my attention. So much to learn if we are willing and it is within these things that simply raise us up a little higher and life begins to change.

Now don't get me wrong here Major,
For I shall plea Philippians 3:12
I don't mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me.

Blessings my Brother and Friend
FCJ

Agreed.

Jesus is God, before, during and after His time in the flesh. Yet, one thing I see that the devil pushes, and far too many eagerly equally confess, is that "Jesus lived on earth as God", when in fact, He lived solely as Man.
I must say, and I'm sure there would be others....I do not understand your line of reasoning here.
If Jesus was God during His time in the flesh as you say, then He could not live solely as a man, as you say........could He?
This is a very profound topic as I indicated earlier. I doubt it can be covered in a succinct way by anyone since it is nor covered that way in scripture.

Php 2:5 Have this mind among yourselves, which is yours in Christ Jesus,
Php 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
Php 2:7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
Php 2:8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Interesting that the word μορφή (MorphH) translated 'form' is used both in verse 6 relating to God, and verse 7 relating to man.

Interesting that the word σχῆμα (schēma) translated 'fashion' ie in the outward appearance of...is used in verse 8 Kjv
Seems that what Paul is saying is that Jesus has inwardly the form of God, but outwardly the form of a man.
Whether this means that He was so filled with the Holy Spirit or filled with God's Spiritual essence? see John 4:24. it is hard to say.
Looking back at verse 6 though, it seems Paul is saying that Jesus had at His disposal equality with God, had He chosen to own it. This implies more than just the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Indeed there would seem to be an important distinction to be made here,
see ;
John 1:32 And John bore witness: "I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him.
The Spirit remained on Him, not in Him, indeed all four gospel accounts are in agreement on the use of this preposition 'upon'.
Now it seems reasonable that the Holy Spirit would remain on Him (as the scriptures say) rather than in Him, if internally He was filled with the essence of God already.
Many people have wrestled with trying to define Jesus, but I'd say that He just can not be intellectualized.
We must accept Him by faith, knowing that the creature should not expect to fully understand his creator.

Isa 42:8 I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.

Last edited:
I must say, and I'm sure there would be others....I do not understand your line of reasoning here.
If Jesus was God during His time in the flesh as you say, then He could not live solely as a man, as you say........could He?
This is a very profound topic as I indicated earlier. I doubt it can be covered in a succinct way by anyone since it is nor covered that way in scripture.

Php 2:6 who, though he was in the form of God, did not count equality with God a thing to be grasped,
Php 2:7 but emptied himself, by taking the form of a servant, being born in the likeness of men.
Php 2:8 And being found in human form, he humbled himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross.

Interesting that the word μορφή (MorphH) translated 'form' is used both in verse 6 relating to God, and verse 7 relating to man.

Interesting that the word σχῆμα (schēma) translated 'fashion' ie in the outward appearance of...is used in verse 8 Kjv
Seems that what Paul is saying is that Jesus has inwardly the form of God, but outwardly the form of a man.
Whether this means that He was so filled with the Holy Spirit or filled with God's Spiritual essence? see John 4:24. it is hard to say.
Looking back at verse 6 though, it seems Paul is saying that Jesus had at His disposal equality with God, had He chosen to own it. This implies more than just the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. Indeed there would seem to be an important distinction to be made here,
see ;
John 1:32 And John bore witness: "I saw the Spirit descend from heaven like a dove, and it remained on him.
The Spirit remained on Him, not in Him, indeed all four gospel accounts are in agreement on the use of this preposition 'upon'.
Now it seems reasonable that the Holy Spirit would remain on Him (as the scriptures say) rather than in Him, if internally He was filled with the essence of God already.
Many people have wrestled with trying to define Jesus, but I'd say that He just can not be intellectualized.
We must accept Him by faith, knowing that the creature should not expect to fully understand his creator.

Isa 42:8 I am the LORD; that is my name; my glory I give to no other, nor my praise to carved idols.
Why is this so hard to grasp? Have you never watched Undercover Boss? It's like that ok? He could use His authority, but chose not to. He could have acted as God, but He chose not to. He could have known everything about anything, but chose to be ignorant to learn. The point is well explained.

I had a discussion with my adult kids along the same lines. They didn't understand that without the Holy Spirit Jesus couldn't have done any of the things He did on earth ....just like we can't.

May I give you something to think about?

The Holy Spirit does not speak of Himself, i.e., on His own; He testifies to Jesus:

John 15:26.....
"But when the Comforter is come, whom I will send unto you from the Father, even the Spirit of truth, which proceedeth from the Father, he shall testify of me:..."

If Jesus is the Holy Spirit, this comes out something like, 'He shall not speak of Himself, but He shall speak of Himself,' or 'I shall not speak of Myself, but I shall speak of Myself.'

see ;

"Calvin", I would be one of the others.

It seems to me that the first truth we need to understand is that Jesus is one Person who has two natures: a divine nature and a human nature. In other words, Jesus is both God and man.

The Bible teaches that Jesus is not merely someone who is a lot like God, or someone who has a very close walk with God. Rather, Jesus is the Most High God himself. Titus 2:13 says that as Christians we are “looking for the blessed hope and the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior, Christ Jesus.”

It should be obvious that if Jesus is God, then he has always been God. There was never a time when he became God, for God is eternal. But Jesus has not always been man. The fantastic miracle is that this eternal God became man through the incarnation approximately 2,000 years ago. That’s what the Incarnation was: God the Son becoming man. And that is the great event we celebrate as Christians.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back