Was Jesus God In The New Testament And The Old Testament?

Discussion in 'Bible Study' started by Jacob sander, Mar 12, 2014.

?

Jesus God in OT and NT?

1. Yes

13 vote(s)
    92.9%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    7.1%
  1. John 14:23. Jesus answered him, "If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.
    John 14:24. Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.
    John 14:25. "These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you.
    John 14:26. But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you.

So, on the one hand Jesus promises that both the Father and He will make their abode with us and as part of the very same dialogue He, Jesus, promises the Holy Spirit will be being sent to us to teach us and to bring things to our remembrance.
    Seems to me that the three are one and indivisible, yet can be understood as three....that is Biblical.
    Matt 28:19. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit,

Abdicate and Silk say Amen and like this.
  2. Jesus did exist before the incarnation as the Son of God. Proof of this is that no man has seen God the Father at any time: John 1:18 & John 6:46 So Who was the God that men had seen in scripture? Abraham saw the Lord in Genesis 18:1 & Jacob saw the Lord face to face in Genesis 32:24-30. That was the Son of God. Jesus testified that scripture had testified of Jesus Christ as Moses testified of men seeing Him as the Lord. John 5:39 & John 5:46-47

At His incarnation, He then became the Son of Man and not just as the Son of God.

Abdicate and TezriLi say Amen and like this.
  3. That's what I said...perhaps you misunderstood....He was always, from the beginning God, the Word/Son....when He became incarnate as the Son of Man they named Him Jesus. Yes whenever God appeared or was heard in the Old Testament it was the Son, not the Father...but until the incarnation He was not known as "Jesus"...

TalkJesus, TezriLi and Silk says Amen and like this.
  4. The more we learn about Him, the more we admire and love Him. There was a children's song:
    What a mighty G-d we serve!
    Angels bow before Him,
    Heaven and earth adore Him,

We can but look at Him in awe....

Silk likes this.
  5. In fact, the event in Moses' time was the exact same event on the Mount of Transfiguration. Amazing! Two views of the same event showing that Moses did indeed see God. God's cherry on top! :ROFLMAO:

TalkJesus, TezriLi and Silk says Amen and like this.
  6. The clarity of specifying the name of Jesus as not being known by that name before His incarnation would have helped at the beginning, and so yes, I did misunderstood you even though you eventually made that clear, but apparently not right away to me, at the end of that post. Sorry.

7. Of course, Jesus was not a name used by the angel who announced His birth, was not the name "Mary" called Him. I think we all know this. His actual name was known years before that Matthew incident. We love the name, Jesus, and some of us use it -- no problem. But I think we should try not to get real dogmatic about the name Jesus....

8. Jesus was called by a Hebrew name. Yeshua. Which translates as Joshua. "Jesus", is Greek. In keeping with the translation that was the entire new testament.

9. Well, Scripture Bird, I think you wrote that accidentally. Jesus is not Greek -- I think you know that. I make lots of mistakes -- when I'm in a rush, especially.

Just curious: have you ever thought about the name Barabbas? Now there's a real curiosity! :D

10. What is it then?

11. Can't remember now. I think this was the name the German translators gave Him, but I haven't thought about it for a long, long time.

12. Jesus [​IMG]
    late 12c. (Old English used hælend "savior"), from Greek Iesous, which is an attempt to render into Greek the Aramaic proper name Jeshua (Hebrew Yeshua) "Jah is salvation," a common Jewish personal name, the later form of Hebrew Yehoshua (see Joshua).

13. Ah, yes. There's more to the story, if I remember correctly, but that's it.

14. I'll byte :D. What does it mean? Bar abbas......son of the father(s) ?? What?

TezriLi likes this.
  15. Right. Imagine our initial confusion, had they written that in our Bibles! Our Y'shua is The Son of The Father!!

16. It is a good thing that the name of Jesus as that name has been used down thru church history, has been able to save people still.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

17. Can you see that salvation comes not by the name, but by the person named?
    Eph 2:8. For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God,

Salvation by Grace alone through Faith alone in Christ alone.

Let us not be found robbers of Christ's glory.
    Rev 5:12. saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!"

18. Explain this reference below then.

John 1:12 But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

It is God the Father that draws men unto the Son ( John 6:44 ) as it is the Father that reveals His Son even to babes ( Matthew 11:25-27 ) and so I can understand how those that believe even in the name of Jesus Christ are saved.

1 John 5:13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.

Of course, it is up to His disciples to teach new believers in the knowledge of Him, but the power of God in salvation does include even those that just believe even in His name.

19. Sorry bro...
    As Hebrews there words would come from a Hebrew perspective...look up The Shem (the Hebrew word for name) it is used for more than a mere gutteral pronunciation...like a declaration in the name of the King, or stop in the name of the Law...it represents one's presence,status, character, authority, reputation, etc....a change in ones shem is a change in these things...

Be ye therefore baptized into (eis) the name (which in Peter's Hebrew would be "shem") of the Lord Jesus Christ for the remission of sins does not mean using His gutteral name (like Joe or Bob) although this is also an application...but rather you are being immersed into His presence, authority, etc...same when we ask that someone be healed in the name of Jesus, it is no the name but by His authority by His presence in us...so when one believes (trusts in and cleaves to) in/on the name of the Son of God one is trusting in and cleaving to His essence, authority, power, etc.

calvin likes this.
  20. Well I don't know, I would think that it is obvious.
    Maybe if we do as the Scripture bids it will become clearer; try 'emphasising' the key thought of that passage instead of as you have previously done.
    John 1:12. But as many as received him, to them gave he power to become the sons of God, even to them that believe on his name: 13 Which were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God.

Here we see that we are dealing with a real living and dynamic person, the one who we know shed His blood and died a horrible cruel death for us.

Are we going to receive Him as Lord and Saviour, or are we just gong to receive a disembodied name that is associated with walking on water and other miraculous exploits. Even in His day, there were a number of other guys named Jesus or Yeshua or Joshua or what ever people want to use as a name for Him
    Granted that in those days there was embodied in citing a name a fuller meaning and sort of power than their is today, but we are after all said and done living today, not then.
    There are many guys named Jesus especially in South American counties, Argentina etc. But there is only one who is both Lord and Christ, and He has been given a name that is above every other name.
    Consider please:
    Php 2:9. Therefore God has highly exalted him and bestowed on him the name that is above every name,
    Php 2:10. so that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth,
    Notice that the Scripture says at the name of Jesus every knee....
    Not at the name 'Jesus' So what is the name of Jesus? Well I think we will just have to wait and see.
    Speaking of the Victorious Christ::
    Rev 19:12. His eyes are like a flame of fire, and on his head are many diadems, and he has a name written that no one knows but himself.
    I would respectfully suggest that there is little point in having a name that no one knows unless He intends to reveal that name at the proper time, which is yet to come.

Silk likes this.