1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Waiting On God's Approval

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by r0cker91, May 20, 2014.

1. Hi and God Bless everyone! Since I am new here I figured starting a new thread would be a good way of integrating myself in this Community. I've yet to ask my Pastor about this stuff, but I don't think it will hurt to ask for counsel from fellow Christians like myself.

Long story as short as I can make it: I'm best friends with a girl in my church and we both really like each other. We've known each other since last September. I'm 22 going 23 in August, she'll be 20 in October. She knew of my feelings since December and last March I found out she too likes me. After a Sunday service I drove her home and on the way we had a talk about "us." We both know we have strong feelings for each other, but she's wants it official only if God says so. Recently she told me she wants to get serious about waiting on God's approval.

So I've been contemplating a lot on how we'd know of His approval. In what ways could He possibly tell us that we can be together. I know God's aware of what's going on. He knows we're both being patient about this. It's a clean bond. I told her this potential relationship is going to be a Christ-Centered one. I pray all the time that it stays intact and continues to grow.

This bond we have is a strong and special one. Our faith is solid and we know each other so very well. I'm the Praise and Worship leader for the Youth group and she's one of the lead singers. I play guitar and sing. There was great chemistry even before those feelings surfaced. I don't lust for her, nor do I look down on her. She's my equal. We care about each other a lot. I always seek God on my own and I naturally want to know more about Him. She helps amplify that want (I've told her that I want to grow spiritually together) and helps me strive to become a better person. She's been an absolute Blessing in my life and still is. *If there's anything that needs clarifying, please let me know.*
  2. Welcome aboard :)

The answer to your question is the same for everything else:

Romans 1:17 (KJV)
    For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.

That's it. Trust in God's ability to confirm or deny the relationship. People will give you tons of advice, but you started your walk with God in faith, how can you continue out of faith?

Psalms 37:23 (KJV)
    The steps of a [good] man are ordered by the LORD: and he delighteth in his way.
  3. Go slowly!!! Spend time getting to know each other. Spend time doing group activities. Go slowly and have fun!!! ;)
  4. As many Christians today are entering into courtship, it is a wise move, which pretty much centers on a relationship being carried out within the safety and accountability functions of a group. Have fun but join up with friends and keep yourselves from spending inordinate amounts of time alone. If you discover together through prayer and God's indications that the two of you are ready to take the next step, then engagement it is! Short engagements work well in couples who have spent the time to know one another and have been true to God in remaining pure.

I have witnessed many young people carry on their relationship in this honourable way, and their marriages are great!
    JG27_chili likes this.
  5. Thanks for the advice everyone. We are getting to know each other more and more; that's the only way I'd want it. Trying to rush into a relationship rarely works. I said that I want to know as much as possible about her before taking the next big step. Recently I wrote her a letter. Obviously it's about us and it's pretty much covered everything that's happened so far. It's amazing how two strangers meeting in September 2013 could become so close. I honestly do believe that God wanted us to meet. Like I said a few days ago, God is aware of the desire for something more than what we have now. He knows how patient I am with this. At the same time we both know what comes first and that is GOD.

In that letter I quoted a few verses in 1 Corinthians 13. It talks about the characteristics of Love. I know it's too early to say that it's love, but I saw it as a checklist for how I should be with her - or anyone else for that matter. Love is Patient, Kind. It does not envy, boast or have it's own way, etc. I am patient with her and kind. I don't get jealous of her, I have no ego around her, etc. I do hope she took that all to heart when I mentioned it.
  6. rOcker91, I was attending Church along time ago, and I was single. You know the Bible says, "it is better to marry than to burn" The Apostle Paul had the gift to abstain from marrying, but I did not have that gift. :) I prayed to the Lord to send my way the one for me, at that same time there was a secretary in the Church who was also single. Every body thought for sure this is the one for me. We would make a cute couple every body said, and it seemed like this was from the Lord as I had many witnesses. It got pretty serious. In these times of youth and love between two people there is as it seems a whirl wind that comes were the ability to make a good decision is almost impossible. Emotions take over and we think this has got to be right because it feels so good.
    Not many days after dating this one lady, the Lord brought the right one for me, and it was an instant knowing for sure to me. The Church members were wrong but it sure felt right.
    It took a few months after meeting this precious gift that knew for sure it was right. That was 32 years ago and after having three sons who ministered together as a family for years in music and Word. Just to caution you in your decision process, that the Lord will confirm what he has for you, seek him often. You can not pray to much. Truth is not always found in numbers.
    Heart_for_Christ and Euphemia say Amen and like this.
  7. Well "agape" is different than natural love.. Agape comes from the Holy Spirit and is the nature of God Himself...But of course you should have agape love for her..which does not seek its own and is pure... I would say you sound as if you have pure and sincere motives, and are seeing things in a mature manner. But when it comes down to it, this is going to be about you and God and what you really believe He desires for you. No man or group is made to take the place that He has in your heart. For I will be there God and they shall be my people, they shall not need every man teach them saying "know the Lord" for every man shall know me, from the least to the greatest, saith the Lord.