1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Virtue: Obedient/Submissive

Discussion in 'Bible Study' started by Steve Amato, Jun 16, 2015.

1. Virtue: Obedient/Submissive

Rom 1:5 Through him and for his name’s sake, we received grace and apostleship to call people from among all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith. There's an obedience that comes from faith. For if we accept Jesus as Lord, our faith lead us to obey him. And Jesus said, "Why do you call me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ and do not do what I say?" Luke 6:46 and "Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven." Mt 7:21 For obedience is characteristic of saving faith.

Not only is obedience characteristic of faith, but it is also the expression of love in vertical relationships (those involving authority figures). Jesus said, "Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me." John 14:21a and John says, "this is love: that we walk in obedience to his commands." 2John 1:6a

Likewise concerning other vertical relationships it says, "Wives, submit to your husbands as to the Lord." Eph 5:22 and "Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older." 1Pe 5:5 and Everyone must submit himself to the governing authorities." Rom 13:1a

Obedience brings glory to God as Paul wrote to the Corinthians, "Because of the service by which you have proved yourselves(that is, their service of generosity), men will praise God for the obedience that accompanies your confession of the gospel of Christ, and for your generosity in sharing with them and with everyone else." 2Cor 9:13