1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Vice: Laziness

Discussion in 'Bible Study' started by Steve Amato, May 23, 2015.

1. Vice: Laziness

The Bible commands us concerning our brethren to "warn those who are idle" 1Thess 5:14b In fact we are commanded to keep away from fellow Christians who are intentionally idle. "In the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, we command you, brothers, to keep away from every brother who is idle and does not live according to the teaching you received from us. For you yourselves know how you ought to follow our example. We were not idle when we were with you nor did we eat anyones food without paying for it. On the contrary, we worked night and day, laboring and toiling so that we would not be a burden to any of you." 2Thess 3:6-8

The lazy can also be identified by their whining and excuses. For example, the sluggard says, "There is a lion in the road, a fierce lion roaming the streets!" Pr 26:13 Laziness and cowardice go hand in hand. While the lazy may covet others possessions, they don't work to obtain their own."A sluggard does not plow in season; so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing." Pr 20:4 And "diligent hands will rule, but laziness ends in slave labor." Pr 12:24 Seeing as the lazy work reluctantly, they have to been overseen, and consequently don't end up as leaders or managers."The lazy man does not roast his game, but the diligent man prizes his possessions." Pr 12:27, which is also to say,"The sluggard buries his hand in the dish; he is too lazy to bring it back to his mouth." Pr 26:15

Thus "I went past the field of the sluggard, past the vineyard of the man who lacks judgment; thorns had come up everywhere, the ground was covered with weeds, and the stone wall was in ruins. I applied my heart to what I observed and learned a lesson from what I saw: A little sleep, a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man." Pr 24:30-34
    Abdicate likes this.
  2. Ok, now we're getting personal!! ;)

This goes hand-in-hand with your other post. As Christians we're to labor to enter the rest (stop fighting over and over and over about the flesh), Heb 4:11, and to work out our own salvation, Phil 2:12, this is the labor part - putting our flesh down when it rears its ugly head. The flesh doesn't want to pray, it doesn't want to read or study the word of God, it doesn't want to cut the grass...
    Fish_of_Faith, Fish Catcher Jim, Euphemia and 1 other person say Amen and like this.
  3. Part of resting in God's favor is doing the best that you can do. Giving 100%, and allowing God to promote you or give you the big bonus...when you least expect it. Because your reliance is in God And not your working to earn things or promotions. and doing your best for His glory not your own.
    Fish Catcher Jim, Abdicate, Mykuhl and 1 other person say Amen and like this.
  4. This a spiritual law. If a man is not willing to work, neither shall he eat. Give, and it shall given to you. Unto much is given much is required. Being a doer of the Word is critical to receiving blessings from the Lord. Every thing the Lord teaches me I share with others. Why? So I can get more!!! If I do not "work" at giving back to others what the Lord has given me, my life line dries up, and I will not eat more until I do.

2Th 3:10.. For even when we were with you, this we commanded you, that if any would not work, neither should he eat.
    Cturtle, Fish Catcher Jim and Mykuhl says Amen and like this.
  5. Agreed! I am glad you said this because this applies to a lot more than just physical work and physical food.

Matthew 10:8 "...freely you have received, freely give."

The Lord has just recently giving me understand on this.
    Cturtle and CCW95A say Amen and like this.
  6. You know what I find exciting about this principle as well? That often I find that am receiving more right as I am giving!
  7. Even the Apostle Paul understood that the Gospel God had given to him was not for Paul himself, but God gave it to him to give to others. The Lord gives to those who he knows will share with others.

Eph 3:1 For this reason I, Paul, a prisoner for Christ Jesus on behalf of you Gentiles—
    Eph 3:2 assuming that you have heard of the stewardship of God's grace that was given to me for you,
    Eph 3:3 how the mystery was made known to me by revelation, as I have written briefly.
    Eph 3:4 When you read this, you can perceive my insight into the mystery of Christ,
    Eph 3:5 which was not made known to the sons of men in other generations as it has now been revealed to his holy apostles and prophets by the Spirit.

No wonder the Lord gave him so much.
    Cturtle, Fish Catcher Jim and Mykuhl says Amen and like this.
  8. Ok, I need to share this because I just got this explanation from The Lord and this relates to our discussion. It is one part of a parable to explain another part of a parable. The parable of the talents where Jesus tells about the servant that received the one talent in Matthew 25:24-30. He calls the servant wicked and lazy because he hid the talent in the ground and gave him back the same talent. The servant explained why he hid it, he says it was because he was afraid of his Lord because he knew he was a hard man, reaping where he has not sown and gathering where he has not sown seed. His Lord says to him that he knew this about Him and he should have deposited the talent with the bankers so he could receive talent back with interest.

I couldn't understand what why he called the servant wicked and lazy and what was meant by what the servant said about the Lord being a hard man. So I prayed about it and received this part of the parable in Luke 12:47-48 as the explanation.

The servant in the parable of the talents knew his Lord's character and what was expected of him(knew his will)....that he expected something back from the talent that was entrusted to him but he ignored this and thus rebelled(making him wicked). Was lazy because he didn't do something to insure this result(did not prepare himself). These parables deal with us members of the body of Christ and what is expected of us.
    Cturtle likes this.
  9. It is interesting that the Lord gave this man a "talent", and instead of using this talent he "buried it". I remember when the Lord first told me to "teach" his Word. I was not a happy camper when I heard that, because I did not have this ability to do what the Lord told me to do. It was not until later I found out that the "talent" the Lord gave me was not that I would do this "work", but the talent the Lord had given me. As it is written....

1Pe_4:11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Once I learned that it was not "I" that would do this work but God himself, I was so relieved!!! I am ready to go!!! Any time, I don't care when or were. The Lord is our ability not us. All we need to do is "believe" that he is able to do exceeding abundantly above all we can ask or think, and he does it according to the power that dwells within us, unto him be Glory!!!!!
    Cturtle and Mykuhl say Amen and like this.
  10. I agree! We are given everything so we can give it back for the glory of the Lord! 1Corinthians 4:7, "for who makes you differ from another? And what do you have the you did not receive? Now if you did indeed receive it, why do you boast as if you had not received it?"
    Philippians 2:13, " for it is God who works in you both to will and do for His good pleasure."
    Cturtle likes this.
  11. This is what "Christainty" is all about. It is not about us doing anything except believing his Word. God alone by himself is "love",and he alone is righteous and Holy, and just. If there is going to be any righteousness done or any love to be distributed to any body, it will have to be God himself that does it through us. This is the true rest that we must all labor to enter into. Ceasing from our own works and letting God live his life through us. Communicating this to others is not a easy task, as every one wants to do their own thing. Man has always wanted to be able to say, "look what I did!!"
    Cturtle and Mykuhl say Amen and like this.
  12. Just like Jesus told His disciples when He spoke to the woman at the well. He said that He has food to eat that none of them knew about, and it was to do the work of the Father. So is for us to as ccw so eloquently put it!
    Fish Catcher Jim and Mykuhl say Amen and like this.
  13. Right in line with Luke 19:26.....For i say unto you, That unto every one which has shall be given; and from him that has not, even what he has shall be taken away from him.
    Fish Catcher Jim, Mykuhl and CCW95A says Amen and like this.
  14. In other words, "use it or loose it"
    Cturtle likes this.
  15. Curtis what you just said here is so important and I pray more people would grasp this.
    This also goes inline with Faith, Love, Forgiveness and so forth. If we are not actually doing ther word of God in our daily lives then we dry up and become un-productive.
    God Bless
    CCW95A likes this.
  16. Indeed; the bold truth.