Vatican Offers Time Off From Pergatory For Twitter Follows

Are you Catholic? I am not . Maybe Glomoung has an opinion that would be from a Catholic. I am not a believer in purgatory to begin with. Sorry I cannot be of more assistance. Contact Glomoung.

I have heard it said that there are many things that Catholics can do (works and payments) to attain certain things. I don't want to sound like I am Catholic bashing, so I am trying to choose my words carefully. It seems there are many instances where Catholics are required to buy/pay for some sort of service whether it be for the here and now or in the afterlife. We have had several missionaries come forth and testify in our church about how certain denominations require payment before a 'soul is permitted to move on' and that salvation can be lost by 'missing a payment' or that a death or disease was brought on by the same offense.

Again-I am not a Catholic nor am I familiar with the religion's processes; but this type of article does not surprise me from what little I do know of Catholicism and my life experience.

I think that if that is what they believe, then following the pope on twitter is a logical developement. Lucky for me I'm not RC cause I haven't figured out twitter yet:D

Indulgences again - I wish that notion would die the ugly death it deserves.
If I get this correctly -basically "if you are willing to attend to and pay attention to the twitters made by His Holiness Pope Francis it woild be considered to be something along the lines of "a virtuous work", so could get you "time off for good behavior from Purgatory".

My personal theology has been very heavily influenced by the Eastern Orthodox tradition, so I personally do not take much stock in indulgences. I do not bargain with God. He says jump, I ask "how high?"

Who cares what the so called pope says.?? Mathew 23:9
Only the catholics do that...
Purgatory does not exist,neither in reality, and definitely not in Holy Scripture..Gods word. ( K.J.V )

I almost missed this post--I shouldn't since I'm a Catholic :p

Perhaps I can shed a light on this and give an explanation. Keep in mind, this is only coming from someone who does believe in purgatory and understands the position of the Pope--what you choose to believe is your business;

The Vatican's statement regarding twitter and leaving purgatory sooner is in connection with the World Youth Day.
Indulgences reduce the time Catholics spend in purgatory after they have confessed and been absolved of their sins. The virtual indulgences are meant to encourage Catholics to follow official Vatican events. The effort is actually meant to be inclusive, so those that can't actually go see him can still take part in the meaning of the event, even if virtually.

No one can simply do whatever they want, bypass God, bypass his teachings, live in sin, and then go to heaven because they simply followed Pope Francis on twitter. In fact, it's really not even about following the Pope on twitter at all, but actually the involvement that is expanded to people.

However, it is very oddly worded and can easily be seen as something that has cheapened religion and what is important for one's soul. Nonetheless, that is not the message. Monsignor Celli, head of the pontifical council for social communications said, ""Be aware. You don't get the indulgence the way you get a coffee from a vending machine."

Hopefully this at least gave a bit more clarity to what it meant.

Purgatory does not exist,neither in reality, and definitely not in Holy Scripture..Gods word. ( K.J.V )

Friend, purgatory is referenced in 2 Samuel 12:13-14, Matthew 12:36, 1 Corinthians 3:10-16, 1 Corinthians 15:29-30, 2 Timothy1:16-18, and also in others which I will have to look up.

However, if you are looking for the word "Purgatory," then you surely will not find it, just as you will not find the word "Trinity" in the scriptures, nor will you find where it points to itself as the exclusive infallible authority for Christian faith and practice.

Friend, purgatory is referenced in 2 Samuel 12:13-14, Matthew 12:36, 1 Corinthians 3:10-16, 1 Corinthians 15:29-30, 2 Timothy1:16-18, and also in others which I will have to look up.

However, if you are looking for the word "Purgatory," then you surely will not find it, just as you will not find the word "Trinity" in the scriptures, nor will you find where it points to itself as the exclusive infallible authority for Christian faith and practice.

Actually in Hebrews 1:3 the passage says that the Lord Jesus 'by himself purged our sins', which indicates that it was a completed work on the behalf of all who love Him and trust Him. In Hebrews 9:28 it says that He was 'once offered to bear the sins of many' and in Hebrews 10:14 it says 'by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified'.

Actually in Hebrews 1:3 the passage says that the Lord Jesus 'by himself purged our sins', which indicates that it was a completed work on the behalf of all who love Him and trust Him. In Hebrews 9:28 it says that He was 'once offered to bear the sins of many' and in Hebrews 10:14 it says 'by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified'.

This is definitely a statement of doctrinal differences. He has perfected for us a state of grace offered to us as a gift, but this doesn't mean we are now without sin. Purgatory isn't a place where one is judged but rather a place where those who have already been saved go for purification before we are to enter God's presence. A good analogy is when we come inside from rain and our shoes are muddy--we have to maybe leave our muddy shoes in the garage or laundry room before we can come inside the house.

1 John 1:7 is also kind of relevant here, I think, speaking of the believer's continual cleansing in faith by the blood, because of the finished work of the Lord Jesus: "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. "

1 John 1:7 is also kind of relevant here, I think, speaking of the believer's continual cleansing in faith by the blood, because of the finished work of the Lord Jesus: "But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus his Son cleanses us from all sin. "

Indeed, his blood is ever-cleansing. Only speaking on the position of the Catholic Church, we believe that while Grace has been given to us as a gift, we don't receive the gift of grace unless we have faith, and according to James 2:24-26, our faith is dead without works. Not to be confused with the false notion that we must work our way into heaven.

Good reference to James 2:24-26; I would interpret it as being along the same lines as Ephesians 2:10:

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

Paul has just said in the previous verses in Ephesians 2: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast."

So salvation itself is a work of God from start to finish, by grace, through faith, not of works, based on the finished work of Christ, which Hebrews emphasizes so much. But works naturally follow genuine faith. In the end there is no true faith without evidence of it.

This would be my understanding of these passages. I appreciate this discussion.

Good reference to James 2:24-26; I would interpret it as being along the same lines as Ephesians 2:10:

"For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them."

Paul has just said in the previous verses in Ephesians 2: "For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast."

So salvation itself is a work of God from start to finish, by grace, through faith, not of works, based on the finished work of Christ, which Hebrews emphasizes so much. But works naturally follow genuine faith. In the end there is no true faith without evidence of it.

This would be my understanding of these passages. I appreciate this discussion.

Same here :)
St. Paul is absolutely right Ephesians that no one can be saved through works. It was addressed vigorously at te Council of Trent.

We are saved by grace alone, through our faith, which is justified by our works. If someone has faith but no works, according to the bible, his faith is dead, and if his faith is dead, how can he abstain saving grace?

This is why Matin Luther almost removed the book of James--since it explains justification. His colleagues expressed to him that he should leave it in there.

Same here :)
St. Paul is absolutely right Ephesians that no one can be saved through works. It was addressed vigorously at te Council of Trent.

We are saved by grace alone, through our faith, which is justified by our works. If someone has faith but no works, according to the bible, his faith is dead, and if his faith is dead, how can he abstain saving grace?

This is why Matin Luther almost removed the book of James--since it explains justification. His colleagues expressed to him that he should leave it in there.

I would follow Romans, Galatians, James, etc on justification rather than Trent, but anyway.

I would follow Romans, Galatians, James, etc on justification rather than Trent, but anyway.

I agree. I only referenced Trent explaining that Trent also sides with the scriptures that we need faith to abstain grace. The rap on Catholics by our Protestant brothers is that that we contradict the bible when we're being consistent with it. I had a lot of misconceptions of the RCC as a Protestant.

Back