1. Hello Guest! You are browsing the forums as a guest; you will have limited permissions as a guest so we advise registering to enjoy the forums fully. Remember: we are a Christian ONLY site - any user who is not Christian will not be approved. Blessings, Christian Forum Site Staff
    Dismiss Notice

Unequally yoke or a matter of faith?

Discussion in 'Marriage and Relationships' started by Elizabeth Lambino, Apr 10, 2016.

1. Hi everyone, I've been into a relationship with a man who believes with Jesus but doesn't know Him so much or I can say no personal relationship with Him. We've been together when I was a new Christian as I was a Catholic like my boyfriend before. So we broke apart because of some issues that we committed in the past. We broke up without communication at all for about 6 months but that time I am still praying to God that if it is His will to be with my boyfriend then He will change my boyfriend's heart and God will make a way for my boyfriend to know Him. And so God made His way again, we met 3 months ago due to a missionary work on my birthday. I didn't know that I will feel the same love with him again and we prayed before we departed. I can feel the changes in his spiritual life and I became more open in professing my Christian faith to him. For the past few months of our relationship we often talk about God and discuss Bible verses everyday. Usually I was the one who's starting and when I felt down he reminded me always to pray. But as time goes by we forgot to pray together although I still read Bible I felt convicted and ask my boyfriend if he still read daily devotion he said he forgot for almost a week now. Then I reminded him to read again and so he did. But one time when we met only the two of us we almost do the thing that we shouldn't do. After that I became convicted again I asked him if he felt something wrong with what we almost did he said no because we love each other and I got upset. We often fight with small things and I requested for us to be apart and he said if it will be for us then he will wait for me to come back. I told him not to wait for me because we have different level of faith. I said sorry to him when I realized that I am pushing him instantly to know Jesus. He told me to give him sometime. He believes that God will make a way for him to totally surrender himself to God. He believes that it it God's perfect timing. He told me that he is reading the Bible and wanted to join a small group but he needs time to do all these things we added spiritual development to our monthly goal. After that I decide to stay in relationship with him and we prayed together again. We both realized that the consequence of our sin last time was our misunderstandings, quarrels and not so good things that happened to my job. He told me because we now forgot to pray together. I told him to pray first then I will follow. He prayed that God may guide and protect for both of us and our family and I prayed for him to fully surrender his life to Jesus. Then we both felt happy after praying.But when I shared this to my sister in small group she said not to be unequally yoke. I felt that yes we are unequally yoke but every time I prayed I also felt that God wants us to be together make our faith stronger together and allowed us to had quarrels for us to remember God again.
  2. Hello sister! I don't think it would be fair for anyone to judge the faith of your boyfriend. If you both go to the same Church, may be the Pastor can talk with both of you and give some counseling. That might be the best. Pastor might know better on how things are going on in his life. Unequally yoked would be a believer marrying an unbeliever. In your case, both of you seems to be believers but with different level of faith. I don't if we can judge the situation and say right or wrong. You are doing the right thing. Praying about it and let God direct you. And see if there is someone like a common pastor who can talk with both of you. That's what I can say about the situation
  3. My wife and I have different backgrounds, she is Catholic, me Protestant, but we are not unequally-yoked. She is very much a believer in Jesus but has a different approach to "relationship" than I was taught to have.
    Through our marriage I have learned about the Catholic church and their doctrines many things I never knew, and I think she has learned many things about the Protestant viewpoint. There is great merit to both
    of these faiths, neither has the "corner" on the truth.

We both learned a very large truth.... that it matters far more WHO you trust and obey than how you do it.

My advice to you is this. Ask God in your prayers to adjust the "yoke" so that it serves its purpose, that of teaching the "younger ox" by the example of the elder. Allow each other to explain and demonstrate, and I think
    you will both benefit and learn from the other, and that you can have a wonderful and Kingdom-productive marriage.
  4. There is a "corner" on truth. If two people in a marriage have differing beliefs, then that hampers how God can use you in ministry, and is the same as being unequally yoked. God's primary goal in the Christian marriage isn't just that people have a happy existence. It is that they are joined together in ministry, and form a complete front against the enemy.
    Elizabeth O likes this.
  5. 'Trust in the LORD with all thine heart;
    and lean not unto thine own understanding.
    In all thy ways acknowledge Him,
    and He shall direct thy paths.
    Be not wise in thine own eyes:
    fear the LORD, and depart from evil."

(Pro 3:5-7)

Hello @Elizabeth Lambino,

I wish I had always done what these verses instruct, and not done what seemed wise in my own eyes. Time is on your side, and you are not under pressure, leave the matter with the Lord, and let Him guide: get on with your life, and let the Holy Spirit work in His own time and in His own way.

In Christ Jesus
    Elizabeth Lambino and Elizabeth O say Amen and like this.
  6. We are different that's the way the great farther made us the important thing is that we love each outher in the love of yashua and Yahweh Yahweh gave us life and yashua gave us peace and love

Sent from my LGMS631 using Tapatalk